La Vuelta 2023: Stage 2: Mataró - Barcelona, 181.8km ***Spoilers***

Stage 2: Mataró - Barcelona, 181.8km

August 27th.
Start Time: 11-45 am BST.

The stage begins only 40km up the coast in Mataró. It takes in two climbs in the first half of the race, the third-category Coll de Sant Bartomeu (6.6km at 4.5%) and second-category Coll d'Estenalles (12.1km at 3.9%). The rest of the route is not flat either, but the main focus after the Coll d’Estenalles will be the finale in Barcelona, which is still more than 100 kilometres away, on the iconic Montjuïc in Barcelona.

The finale is a replica of 2012, when La Vuelta last visited Barcelona: the Avenida de la Reina Maria Cristina. Montjuïc is a scenic wooded hill overlooking Barcelona and that’s where the finale is played out. The climb is tackled multiple times on a closing circuit at the Volta a Catalunya, but just once here.

Final Kms:

The 2.5 kilometres ascent to the Montjuïc castle averages 4.6%, while the last 900 metres rise at 9.4%.

What to Expect.

Looks perfect for punchers, but some of the best punchers are also GC contenders.....

Mataró

First participation in La Vuelta.
129,120 inhabitants

Mataró (Catalan pronunciation: [mətəˈɾo]) is the capital and largest town of the comarca of the Maresme, in the province of Barcelona, Catalonia.
It is located on the Costa del Maresme, to the south of Costa Brava, between Cabrera de Mar and Sant Andreu de Llavaneres, 30 kilometres (19 miles) north-east of Barcelona.
The capital of the Maresme Region is a city whose origins date back to Roman times, and whose streets reflect the Baroque influences, colonial and Modernist architecture that have played a part throughout its extensive history.
Mataró was declared a city by royal decree, even though at the time (nineteenth century) the population fell short of the requirement for city status.

Bacallà amb samfaina

Salted cod is very widely eaten in Catalonia. The fish need to be desalted for up to 3 days before you can start cooking it although, nowadays, it can be bought already desalted in speciality shops. The accompaniment is a sauce made with vegetables, onion, garlic and tomatoes very very similar to the Castilian pisto or the French ratatouille.

Mandonguilles amb sípia

What a great Catalan invention. Meatballs cooked with cuttlefish in a rich gravy sauce. Really tasty and original. In fact, this combination of meat and seafood is very common. The locals call it mar i muntanya, literally, sea and mountain. The pollastre amb llagosta, chicken and lobster is definitely the king of this Catalan version of the “surf & turf”.

Fricandó

These are slices of veal cut and cooked in a rich sauce with seasonal mushrooms: a great way for meat lovers to taste traditional food in Barcelona.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • The weather certainly has gone from one extreme, to another. A truly shocking forecast for August on the Med.
    No wonder the organisers have acted this time.

• tailwindhome

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    edited August 2023
    Another change.
    GC times now taken 9km from the finish, so the climb is neutralised as well.
    Not sure why 5 men have bothered to go in the break, under the circumstances.

As it’s the same thing in Belgium, Brian Smith just questioned safety if riders are still going to go for the win.
    Simply moving the problem further down the road, you still have the problem.
  • tailwindhome

• Currently racing on dry roads.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    Try a repeat, comment held for approval. Is there some filter applied re Kirby? 🤔

I was only saying that having Lloyd, Blythe and McEwen chatting in background is better than the Wittermouth outpourings.
  • Beginning to rain now.
    Enjoying the Kirby free interlude
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,156
    Why have they neutralised the climb? Surely finishing at the top wouldn’t be too bad or is there a dodgy section before that?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    edited August 2023
    crash
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Roglic held up
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Every roundabout is a diesel skid pan
  • mididoctors
    Lol jumbo playing the big boy card
  • Roglic takes a spill, so Jumbo decide to pull a collective Cancellara.
    Slow down or we will get very angry.
  • mididoctors
    So piccolo just needs to finish 6 secs ahead at 9 k to to be in the jersey ...barring time bonus
  • Looks like DSM are being forced to give away their leader’s jersey
  • mididoctors

Looks like DSM are being forced to give away their leader’s jersey

Looks like dsm haven't given up
  • mididoctors
    Crash
  • Buitrago and Storer down and held up with tangled bikes.
    Leader crashed too, but of course this time there’s no signal to slow down….
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    This afternoon's offerings currently live...

Deutschland tour good
    MTB xco good
    Super league triathlon great
    Vuelta st 2... Meh.
  • Looks like DSM are being forced to give away their leader’s jersey

Looks like dsm haven't given up
    The peloton seem quite happy to leave the race leader behind after his spill, though.
  • mididoctors
    It's a shame ..was a good parcours ..
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Oscar Onley out with suspected broken collarbone 😭
  • mididoctors
    Could have put a mark in the road
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,197
    Strange times indeed when a Barcelona Vuelta stage in August is wetter than Glasgow Worlds.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Gave up on Kirby. On Sporza.

Seems there is not much colour on race radio so they’re doing their best to ID.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,704
    edited August 2023
    About 20 riders left to contest the win.
    Unsurprisingly none of the GC riders
  • rick_chasey
    Micky mouse this.

Anyone doing better with rider ID?
  • rick_chasey
    Andreas Kroon!