Tyre glider

13»

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Just received a reply from Kevin at Tyreglider. They are going to send me a replacement which are now made with a different plastic.
    So all’s well in the world.
    Might still have try to learn how to use the Cranks brothers one.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,962
    webboo said:

Just received a reply from Kevin at Tyreglider. They are going to send me a replacement which are now made with a different plastic.
    So all’s well in the world.
    Might still have try to learn how to use the Cranks brothers one.

Fairly sure I found a YouTube video that demonstrated how to use it properly. It seems blindingly obvious now but I do remember scratching my head a lot first time
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I’ve seen the YouTube video but even after watching that it’s easier said than done.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,448
    After initial great success with the tyre glider, I’ve found seating it under the tyre bead more difficult, possibly because of the quality of the plastic, the end not as hard and shiny as it was making it harder to dig under. I also managed to take a lump out of the decals on the wheel rim when sliding the glider down the tyre with pressure.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    I had to on a pair of Schwalbe Amotion tires, and they were a pain to put on, the most difficult tire I have ever put on in 40-plus years of riding! But they were tubeless going on tubeless ready rims but I was using tubes. They broke my Soma Steel Core levers and broke one of my Pedros plastic levers. I tried using my VAR tire lever but the way that thing was bending I thought it was going to break. Yes, I tried talcum powder and soapy water to no avail, so, I ordered a pair of Lezyne Power XL levers, these are really tough levers, and I also ordered a Kool Stop Tire Jack. Those got the tires on, still tough, and I still had to use soapy water, but at least there weren't any busted tools. The Kool Stop Tire Jack, and the VAR both work on sliding the tire up over the rim instead of what a lever does by prying it outward and upward, so they don't use precious space.

The nice thing about the Lezyne Power XL levers vs the Pedros is that they are not as wide or as thick, I liked those so well I ordered another pair, and threw the other Pedro lever away.

The only drawback to the Kool Stop Tire Jack is that it won't fit into most seat bags, it barely fits into my Topeak Aero Wedge Large bag; but the length is actually a good thing because it gives you more leverage which makes it easier to use even with arthritic hands. Since those tires were going on my touring bike, and the large Topeak seat bag is on that bike, it works out well for carrying it.

Keep in mind too, that once you put on tough tires for the first time at home, the tires do have a tendency to stretch a small amount making it a bit easier to take off and put on when a flat happens. I haven't tried to take off and put on the Schwalbe tires since I got them, so I'm not sure how tough they'll be when I have to repair a flat, but that tire is thicker it may not stretch like a regular thin road tire will. Thankfully that tire is supposed to be nearly flat-proof, so I doubt I'll have to remove it during its lifetime.