Tyre glider

Comments

• 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Yeah used mine a few times, absolute god send. Don't even bother with normal levers on rides now, just got this in my bar bag. Will be ordering a spare.

Re did Gatorskins on my winter bike in probs 6 mins front and back instead of about 25 mins haha
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    edited April 2022
    Just used mine for the first time. Snapped trying to get the last few inches of a gp5000 back on the rim

Great idea really poor execution. Weak plastic and difficult to hold.

While I'm here.... anyone got a suggestion for what to replace GP4000s with? These 5000s seem really tight. Small too. I was struggling to get the inner tub into the rim when fitting them. Tore a couple of tubes whilst trying to fit. First time I've ever done that!
  • I also thought I'd give the tyre glider a whirl tonight for getting a Hutchinson Fusion onto a Roval wheel. Done before fairly easily with levers, but thought I'd try the tyre glide.

Great getting the tyre off, snapped putting the new one on.

Total rubbish.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    Ah crap, I'll be trying mine for the first time on a marathon plus......

I wonder if we get a hat trick.

I had gotten them fitted in the recent past on these very wheels with no tools.
    Must be out of practice, lost the technique is all I can think :|
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,448
    Still waiting to use mine, although I shouldn’t comment as I’ve had a good run and don’t want to curse myself.

Judging by the comments on here when replacing the tyre, when at the stiff point with the glider I’ll go back squeeze the bead of the tyre all the way round to free up a little space and see if that negates the need for brute force.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Reading this with intrigue - never gonna get one as I'll never need it, but wondering why it is needed when you can just use the old tyre lever at 90 degrees trick to get difficult tyres on.

what's the principle that is meant to make it so mega?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    MattFalle said:

Reading this with intrigue - never gonna get one as I'll never need it, but wondering why it is needed when you can just use the old tyre lever at 90 degrees trick to get difficult tyres on.

Once you’ve got your tyre on and you have the last little bit to go to get back on I.e. the hard bit. You fit the tyre glider on and push it with the heel of your hand and it’s on. Doesn’t need much effort and for those of us with kn@ckered fingers it saves us waiting for a passing MF to come and help.
  • MattFalle
    webboo said:

MattFalle said:

Once you’ve got your tyre on and you have the last little bit to go to get back on I.e. the hard bit. You fit the tyre glider on and push it with the heel of your hand and it’s on. Doesn’t need much effort and for those of us with kn@ckered fingers it saves us waiting for a passing MF to come and help.

gotcha - grazie!
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,705
    MattFalle said:

Wot's that then SM?

I've always used my fingers and thumbs, but can foresee a time...

• MattFalle
    ease tyre onto wheel as far as you can normally.

put tyre lever inbetween rim and tyre as normal but instead of normal 45 degrees to 'lift' tyre onto wheel and risk tube damage you put it in at 90 degree and push it forward so it 'slides' the tyre on.

no tube damage, easier to do as you're not fighting the ture's bead, tyre doesn't come off further down the wheel.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,448
    Had a visit from the p fairy this morning so had a chance to use my tyre glider for the first time.

Possibly not the hardest tyre to fit but I must say I’m very impressed. Easiest and quickest puncture repair ever.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,077
    I was bought a Tyre Glider and assumed it was a bit of a gimmick. However, I gave it ago and it helped get two tubeless tyres off and back on with foam inserts installed, sealant topped and all cleaned up and put away within half an hour. The tyres aren't the tightest and I have got them off with regular tyre levers but putting them back on was much easier!

However, I don't think it's magic; for those that have snapped them did you do the usual making sure the bead was posititoned to give the tyre as much slack as possible before using it? Or just hammer away?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,965
    Used mine for the first time yesterday to fit two new GP5000s tubeless tyres - made the process easy, and not even close to uttering a swear word!
    Deffo recommend it.
  • daniel_b
    Used mine for the first time yesterday - watched a couple of videos to get a handle on how to use it, but tried it on both removal and refitting.

This was on a 700c 35 Marathon plus, for the Kona.

Took a bit of oomph to get it moving initially, but then it was fine, and refitting took some time to get it moving, a few times it popped out, but it definitely made it easier for sure.

I do wonder why they don't make these (for home use) with a decent handle that you can properly grip in your hand to generate the force required.

One thing I did find with both activities, was that spinning/flipping the wheel around to change where you were applying the pressure from made a big difference.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,848
    I used mine last week to replace both tyres on my road bike. The old tyres had been on for some time and I really struggled to get them off with the tyre glider. Eventually the Park Tool levers came out and I used them to get started and the glider to finish it off.

The Tyre Glider was better at getting the new tyres on however I managed to nip one of the tubes and had to start again.

I am not convinced that I would want to rely on a Tyre Glider at the side of the road.
  • MattFalle
    So, to throw a curve ball:

Bambino (13) has just started to cycle to school.

I'm a tad conscious that if he has a puncture and I can't get to him he's stuffed so wanted to pop a spare tube and either tyre levers or one of these in his bike bag.

So, question is, are these good enough and easy enough to use to make it worthwhile or should I stick to what we all did: tyre levers and a tube?

Waddya say?
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Get him to practice at home and see how easy or not it is with fingers or levers. If struggling consider something else, either tools, tubes with sealant or even tubeless.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,455
    MattFalle said:

Bambino (13) has just started to cycle to school….

… or should I stick to what we all did: tyre levers and a tube?

Waddya say?

When I get as 8 we didn’t have tyre levers. We used spoons or other cutlery handles or blades. My mum often wondered why some of it got bent. I blamed the maid.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Waddya say?

When I get as 8 we didn’t have tyre levers. We used spoons or other cutlery handles or blades. My mum often wondered why some of it got bent. I blamed the maid.

Yup, spoons here as well and massive amounts of denial with bent cutlery.....
  • webboo
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Waddya say?

Yup, spoons here as well and massive amounts of denial with bent cutlery.....
    Spoons are probably better than those blue park tool levers.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,077
    I'd say the tyre glider is nice but more useful the tighter the tyre, tubeless compatible tyres for example. Depending on what tyres he is using get tyre levers. Always good to know how to use them properly.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,879
    MattFalle said:

I'm a tad conscious that if he has a puncture and I can't get to him he's stuffed so wanted to pop a spare tube and either tyre levers or one of these in his bike bag.

So, question is, are these good enough and easy enough to use to make it worthwhile or should I stick to what we all did: tyre levers and a tube?

Waddya say?

If you are using tubes and folding tyres then here is my tip.
    When fitting a new tyre in the comfort of your own home take it off and on again 5 times. The tyre will ease off and make it much easier for that time at the roadside.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • MattFalle

I'd say the tyre glider is nice but more useful the tighter the tyre, tubeless compatible tyres for example. Depending on what tyres he is using get tyre levers. Always good to know how to use them properly.

Top stuff - grazie!
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Waddya say?

If you are using tubes and folding tyres then here is my tip.
    When fitting a new tyre in the comfort of your own home take it off and on again 5 times. The tyre will ease off and make it much easier for that time at the roadside.
    Good point well presented! Grazie!
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2022

+1.

My Conti 5000s can go on by hand, but this was useful for the Marathon plus, and I reckon for Durano pluses as well - a lot of it will come down to how the tyres mesh (or not) with the wheel, and whether it's a mission or not to fit/remove.

With regards to tyre levers, I too find the park tool ones kak, and I've tried many many types over the years - the one I have ended up with several pairs of for our household, are the Pedros tyre levers, they even seem viable on high end rims I worry about knackering, very solid, and well built, I've never thought they were going to snap on me.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • webboo
    A bit of an up date.
    I was changing an inner tube on my Zipp 303’s put the Tyreglider on to replace the tyre. I hooked it under the rim and when I rotated it, the bit under rim snapped off.
    This was no big deal as I was at home in the garage but it wouldn’t have been idea 30 miles from home. I have probably only used it about 6 times.
    I’ve emailed Tyreglider about this but I’ve not had a reply ( 2 days) so I’m thinking I need to look at alternatives for difficult to get on tyres.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,961
    My personal choice is https://www.wiggle.co.uk/crankbrothers-speedier-lever

Nearly broke my thumbs and wrists trying to get 32mm Gatorskins on herselfs bike. Popped on in seconds with them.
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 113
    JimD666 said:

My personal choice is https://www.wiggle.co.uk/crankbrothers-speedier-lever

Nearly broke my thumbs and wrists trying to get 32mm Gatorskins on herselfs bike. Popped on in seconds with them.

You beat me to this. I did 2 50mm prime wheels in 20mins and no blood in sight. Requires a little getting used to but it's great for me. I have the yellow Pedro's in the back pocket to. Helps to get them off.

Lifeline tyre seating tool is absolutely rubbish. I used for the wife's bike, but for wider rims it kept slipping off. I could be using it wrong.
  • webboo
    I actually have one of those but haven’t got it work yet. I need to get with the program clearly.