Tyre glider

I’ve ordered one to help my semi arthritic hands… it seems rims are getting tighter and fitting takes ages… anyone tried it?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• Just got one myself, but haven't tried it yet!
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    If it's anything like the Crankbrothers Speedier Tyre lever it will certainly help.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    I've got one recently, also haven't got round to trying it yet, if it lives up to the claims it could be a game changer for certain rim/tyre combinations.
  • I’ve ordered one to help my semi arthritic hands… it seems rims are getting tighter and fitting takes ages… anyone tried it?

Let us know how you get on with it when you have tried please. Out of interest which one did you purchase too?
    Definitely interested in getting one if useful!
    Many thanks in advance to you and anyone else with experience of them.
  • What happens when you use a tyre installing tool on an evil wheel/tyre combo, but then puncture?

Call for the other half emergency rescue service?

Or do you take another tool on rides to help remove tyre from rim?😱
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

What happens when you use a tyre installing tool on an evil wheel/tyre combo, but then puncture?

According to website it removes the tyre as well.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692

What happens when you use a tyre installing tool on an evil wheel/tyre combo, but then puncture?

This may be why I see so many gravel bikes lapping the trail in Richmond Park with bike packing frame bags, they aren't camping but need to carry so many spares and tools.
  • I’ve ordered one to help my semi arthritic hands… it seems rims are getting tighter and fitting takes ages… anyone tried it?

Let us know how you get on with it when you have tried please. Out of interest which one did you purchase too?
    Definitely interested in getting one if useful!
    Many thanks in advance to you and anyone else with experience of them.
    Got the red one... is there another one?

I liked it because unlike the VAR, it's small enough to fit in a pocket... it pays for itself quickly, I think I pinch-cut 3 inner tubes replacing tyres during the racing season
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I looked at their website but decided against ordering direct as there was no information about payments (what service they use to process orders).

Ended up ordering a blue one from amazon instead.
  • £12.99 for the blue Rehook tyre glider. Seems quite a lot for what it is. Let us know what you think redvision when it arrives and you get a chance to use it!
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    I bought two. One for me and one for my wife.

I have tried it once on my turbo wheel - the tyre has been on a for a while.

The glyder took it off and put it back on with ease. I'd like to try it with a difficult combo.

Based on that one experience it has potential.
  • redvision

£12.99 for the blue Rehook tyre glider. Seems quite a lot for what it is. Let us know what you think redvision when it arrives and you get a chance to use it!

It's just gone back! Turned up yesterday and I was keen to try it straight away. Worked great taking the gp5000 tyre off the front wheel (fulcrum 4), although it is never usually that hard to take the tyre off, but when I tried to refit it the glider snapped!

Hopefully just a one off but not a good first impression.
  • webboo
    Is the Amazon one a copy. On the Tyre glider web site they are red rather than blue and only £9:99 against £12:99.
  • redvision said:

It's just gone back! Turned up yesterday and I was keen to try it straight away. Worked great taking the gp5000 tyre off the front wheel (fulcrum 4), although it is never usually that hard to take the tyre off, but when I tried to refit it the glider snapped!

Rehook tyre glider (Bambusa Ltd) (Amazon), blue plastic
    Tyre Glider, red plastic

Two different manufactures using different materials or what? more investigating required here…

Obviously no patent taken out if they are different

It looks to be a possible solution to tough tyre/wheel combinations. I know many levers sold are not up to much. I’m using the Schwalbe levers at the moment as they work for me right now

Not good if a home test breaks one, makes you wonder what there are like at or around zero degrees

We’ll see how this one goes…

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625

redvision said:

Rehook tyre glider (Bambusa Ltd) (Amazon), blue plastic
    Tyre Glider, red plastic

Two different manufactures using different materials or what? more investigating required here…

Obviously no patent taken out if they are different

It looks to be a possible solution to tough tyre/wheel combinations. I know many levers sold are not up to much. I’m using the Schwalbe levers at the moment as they work for me right now

Not good if a home test breaks one, makes you wonder what there are like at or around zero degrees

We’ll see how this one goes…

The inventor with a blue one in this video. https://youtu.be/dh3YzTLIC0E

Would be strange not to have a patent.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • The red one just arrived. Awesome… I fitted a pig of a tyre in 5 seconds… previously it had taken me 15 minutes of swearing and blisters, as well as a pinched inner tube
  • redvision
    webboo said:

Is the Amazon one a copy. On the Tyre glider web site they are red rather than blue and only £9:99 against £12:99.

Not sure. Don't think it's a copy, it had Tyre Glider imprinted within the plastic. Have put it down to a one off and ordered another (which has just been dispatched).
    Will update then.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited February 2022
    I have just use the Tyre Glider and think it's ok. Not "night and day" better than my Schwalbe tyre levers, but nevertheless, pretty quick and easy.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    edited February 2022
    redvision said:

£12.99 for the blue Rehook tyre glider. Seems quite a lot for what it is. Let us know what you think redvision when it arrives and you get a chance to use it!

I can see that the hook can snap if you are not careful when you grab the rim and lock it in place... I don't think it's a tool designed to fit 200 tyres... it's more the one to go when you struggle with the levers... even just the motion around the rim will inevitably wear out the plastic over time
  • webboo
    Mine arrived yesterday . Used when swopping a Gatorskin on my winter bike I used normal levers to remove the tyre as I couldn’t be bothered to go look how it was supposed to work to remove the tyre.
    Both times I used it to replace the tyre took a few seconds.
    I had to do it twice as I made the rookie error of trapping the inner tube the first time and inflated it to 90psi only for it to go bang.
    As the tyre went on that easy I was lulled in to not checking, thinking “ wow that was a piece of P*ss”
    Need to try it with my carbon rims as I’ve snapped levers trying to get tyres back on with them.
    As a side issue has any body tried using the blue Park tool plastic levers. I find it really hard to get them under the tyre when trying to get it off. Never had this problem with other plastic levers.
  • webboo
    Got bored with watching it rain. So I had a go with my prime carbon rims. I couldn’t get it to work to get the tyre off but using normal levers it’s not an issue to get the tyre off.
    Took a couple of goes to get the glider on to the rim once I got it on took about 15 seconds to get the tyre back on. In the past I’ve snapped levers and nipped tubes getting the tyre back on plus once assistance from other passing cyclists.
    I could have gone real world test by riding down road in the p*ssing rain getting covered in sh*t then trying the above but I will leave that for someone else or when I’m 40 miles from home and with no phone signal.
  • Hey all

Declaring this up front - I stock and sell the Tyre Glider online - but that's because I think it's a fantastic product and am keen to get behind it.

I'm first and foremost a bike mechanic, so that's where my experience lies when evaluating it. I'm well aware that not all of us cyclists are able to fit tyres with our bare hands, for a myriad of reasons.

FYI There's no difference in material in the red or blue ones, just the colour.

As it's a new device there is a certain technique involved in using it properly and getting the best results, but it's easy to master.

For me, the biggest benefit is in the ability to fit a tyre, especially by the roadside, without damaging the tube.

The inventor is very much open to feedback and suggestions in order to improve, so it's well worth pinging with any comments. I've also been collecting customer feedback and passing it on.

I'm doing my best to assist with educating on the right technique to get the most out of the Tyre Glider, and am very happy to help if anyone needs some assistance.

Not trying to do a sales pitch, but if you're worried about payment options, we use Stripe for cards, as well as PayPal (search Vanguard Cycles). Hope I'm allowed to say that from a moderation perspective, please let me know if not and I'll edit the reply.

Greg
  • pete1336
    pete1336 Posts: 86
    I've just used this to remove a pig of a continental tyre. Came off incredibly easy in comparison with the other identical tyre i ended up cutting off the day before the tool arrived.
    This tyre glider is the dogs Bo**ocks!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    I've just replaced a tyre... it's a Corsa, so not the tightest, but it took 10 seconds instead of 3-4 minutes to fit it...
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    I’ve bought one I’ve yet to use. Just wish I had the tyre glider idea first! Is it too late to invest!?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • webboo said:

As a side issue has any body tried using the blue Park tool plastic levers. I find it really hard to get them under the tyre when trying to get it off. Never had this problem with other plastic levers.

If it is the blue ones with a curved tip, I have found they are pretty poor. I have some unknown make green ones with a wide square tip with a lip on it which work really well.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited March 2022
    Agreed on the blue park tool levers being rubbish.

I've asked my partner for one of these tyre glider things as an anniversary present :grin:

The best tyre levers I have used, are these ones:
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/pedros-tyre-levers-pair

Great shape, wide, easy to hold, just seem to do a pretty decent job, even when faced with a marathon plus.

*I may, or may not, have only initially purchased a set because they were yellow o:)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    mrb123 said:
    Weird statement in that review: "The Tyre Glider is the first genuinely innovative cycling tool I've seen in a long time - not just an improvement, but completely new thinking". Looking at the video on how to use it looks pretty much the same theory as the crankbrothers Speedier tyre lever. Anyone used both to compare?
  • webboo
    I have the crank brothers lever. I have never managed to get a tyre back on with it. It just seems to get stuck and I can’t get it slide to get the last bit of the tyre on.
    However it’s useful as when it’s in that position you can use a normal lever to get the last bit of the tyre on as stops the tyre moving round the rim.