Silly commuting racing

1252925302531253225332535»

Comments

• Had a bit of SCR recently - chap on a Trek coming back on the CS8 the other night. I was on my winter /cx bike (mudguards, 35s) but had a decent jostle nonetheless; not sure either of us won, I got held up by a questionable lorry manoeuvre near Battersea Bridge and not sure where he went after. Keep an eye out - i'm normally on a Focus Mares with SKS Speedrockers. Stay safe out there now its proper dark and gloomy for most commuting hours.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,267
    My first strava segment PR on my regular commute for years today - all it took was a 50kmh tailwind.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    mr_ribble said:

Although I sometimes wonder what happened to @jzed @cjcp @tgotb @itboffin @asprilla @Sketchley @Wrath Rob @iPete @notsoblue @rjsterry @dhope @Kieran_Burns @jonginge @il_principe @rick_chasey

I also wonder what happened to @hambones ... I heard he was still stuck in the cupboard at work. If you know, you know......

Moved out of London in 2015. Have my own business now and WFH so no SCR for me. Still ride lots though; just finished a 2 hour session on my indoor bike.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I'm here lurking
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited March 2023

mr_ribble said:

Although I sometimes wonder what happened to @jzed @cjcp @tgotb @itboffin @asprilla @Sketchley @Wrath Rob @iPete @notsoblue @rjsterry @dhope @Kieran_Burns @jonginge @il_principe @rick_chasey

I also wonder what happened to @hambones ... I heard he was still stuck in the cupboard at work. If you know, you know......

Moved out of London in 2015. Have my own business now and WFH so no SCR for me. Still ride lots though; just finished a 2 hour session on my indoor bike.
    Move to Cambridge in 2018 and so am now a train wanker. Live within walking distance from the station.

Have done a bit of cycling around on the same single speed. Managed to break my wrist twice in once accident in Covid which required surgery (head-on collision with another cyclists who was going the wrong way down a one way street) and currently recovering from a broken shoulder when I slipped out on a corner, so not a great run of luck.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

mr_ribble said:

I (coriordan) allso moved out of London to Cambridge in 2018. I see Green Brompton quite a lot walking her dog, usually bump into her twice a week!

Of the other london lot, I am good friends with tetm of old as well, seeing him this weekend.

Other famous faces include rob who looks like a girl who rode for RPR (who I think fully transtioned, good on her), the barrister who rode for Paceline who also lived in Kingston area, and the other Rob (Sharland?) who 'broke the internet' when he took the Richmond Park strava KoM.

I think Rob Sharland was the first person I ever met from this forum, back when he first got into cycling. Lots of excuses were swapped between each set of lights as I was just a smidge faster than him - over 10 years ago!

• mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,054
    Some blasts from the past their. The Paceline barrister still rides in most days. He also destroys people at Richmond parkrun

I believe Sharland was a weight lifter before he started cycling. Strong guy. I remember when he raced at Hillingdon though, and celebrated a victory thinking he'd won, but it was 1 lap too early. Good chap.

coriordan .. you changed your name to shirley_basso?

Is tetm still laying cables .... (not that.. you dirty barstewards).. didn't he work for an engineering firm, laying transatlantic fiber optic cables

JZed... I still follow hi on linkedin. I think he's in Loughton now
    Jon Ginge?

Im back in the game... my legs are even bigger than before

Oooooh AUSSIE TRACK GUY... boom
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    That's mostly right.
    Barrister was Ed F - now I remember

I thought Rob was a smoking, drinking brickie before become a beast on a bike.

Others - JonGinge - I used to live next door to him in Mortlake.

Then there was anonymousblackfg, pitchshifter who came from the SW, also recall drlodge who lent me his bike when mine was stolen
  • mr_ribble
    Yea I didnt mean Sharland was a full time weightlifter... but a gym monkey, hence where the leg power came from.

Im destroying people on CS7 now, although the addition of cycle lanes in places neutralises the race sometimes.

I miss the Racetrack. Many hearts were broken on that stretch of tarmac

Green Brompton, with her denim shorts and aviators, making grown men cry. She had natural talent. Won the BWC few times.
  • mr_ribble
    Some decent competition on CS7 of late... Dynamo lady joining at Colliers Wood is quick.

I will keep SCR alive
  • I see Green Brompton most days now, our kids go to the same school.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Good to see someone's keeping old traditions alive.
  • mr_ribble

I see Green Brompton most days now, our kids go to the same school.

Do you race her ... do you get to the school gates dripping in sweat
  • mr_ribble
    Uneventful ride in today

Apart from when, stopped at a set of lights just past Tooting Broadway, a man appeared to try and get past us all and jump the red light. He rode into the back of me, the lights turned and when I looked around, he was toppling over onto the floor unable to clip out.

Warm weather has a lot out ...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    Nice comedy moment, hope he didn't do you any damage.
    My son joined the melee today, Kingston to Stockwell. I'm looking forward to hearing tales of derring do when he gets home. I did tell him to watch out for muppets on bikes as well as drivers.
  • mr_ribble said:

Green Brompton, with her denim shorts and aviators, making grown men cry. She had natural talent

Izzy whizzy, Ribble wanna get busy ;)

"Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"