Home heat efficiency

13»

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,646

Thinking to install thermal solar on or roof. Basically "solar panels" where the radiation from the sun warms water, so you then heating water takes you some less energy.
    Very popular here in Germany.

Anyone here has own experience to share?

Tech is simple and cheap. Not so good for morning showers, but works well later in the day. In some places in the world this is the only form of water heating. No idea how it gets plumbed in with everything else.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,704

Thinking to install thermal solar on or roof. Basically "solar panels" where the radiation from the sun warms water, so you then heating water takes you some less energy.

Tech is simple and cheap. Not so good for morning showers, but works well later in the day. In some places in the world this is the only form of water heating. No idea how it gets plumbed in with everything else.
    My mum has solar thermal and PV. The solar thermal pretty much provides all the hot water from April to October and a fair bit the rest of the year. You need a hot water cylinder with two coils - one for the solar and one for the other heat source (gas boiler, heat pump) That will keep enough hot water from the day before for the morning shower.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,646
    rjsterry said:

My mum has solar thermal and PV. The solar thermal pretty much provides all the hot water from April to October and a fair bit the rest of the year. You need a hot water cylinder with two coils - one for the solar and one for the other heat source (gas boiler, heat pump) That will keep enough hot water from the day before for the morning shower.
    It is surprising that such a simple and cheap technology isn't more widely used.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    edited August 2022
    I was thinking, those vain cyclist who shave there legs (roll eyes). Let the hair grow and naturally insulate the legs (pro cyclist could/should lead by example!). Facial hair too for that matter.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,605
    I don’t understand the trend for electric blankets. I never have the heating on between 10pm and 6am and after the first 5 minutes in bed under a duvet I can’t recall ever being cold. Just buy a higher tog duvet if necessary.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Pross said:

I don’t understand the trend for electric blankets. I never have the heating on between 10pm and 6am and after the first 5 minutes in bed under a duvet I can’t recall ever being cold. Just buy a higher tog duvet if necessary.

An electric blanket warms your bed up before you get in. They do a great job of that . They are not intended to be on while you are in bed.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    Isn’t it for the oldies/people who struggle to generate the heat to keep them warm under the blankets to begin with?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,930
    Or for people who don't heat their houses to ridiculous temperatures but want to take the chill off!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812
    edited August 2022
    oxoman said:

There’s always a slightly cheaper option, it’s called a hot water bottle. For reference quite a few yrs ago the fire brigade had a scheme going to test electric blankets and if faulty they would replace with new and dispose of the old ones properly.

Hot water bottles have safety issues too.
    From personal experience as a youngster. Burny, burny.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.