Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,564
    When it hasn’t rained for a long time (unlikely at the mo) and the heavens break, the earthy smell that’s released by the rain is called petrichor.
    It’s a release of chemical compounds from microorganisms in the soil.
    Now I don’t need to call it that funny rain smell anymore.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    **Etymology alert. Calling Mr Trumpet.**
  • First.Aspect
    Petri comes.from stone, obviously....

But chor?
  • masjer

But chor?

Definitely more Mr Trumpet's field. I just like the smell.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    edited March 2022
    masjer said:

But chor?

Having lived in the tropics, when it hadn't rained for some considerable time, the smell of rain could be sensed from 40+ miles away. It was fantastic. The rains brought life, greenery, (sometimes an end to drought) and as a child, I would jump around in it. The first rains were a joyous occasion.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923

But chor?

Right with the stone, Pierre...

'ichor' is the Greek word for "the ethereal fluid supposed to flow like blood in the veins of the gods" or, more prosaically, in geological terms "fluid or ‘emanation’ from a magma which is held to cause granitization of rock".

'Petrichor' first appeared in 1964. Here's the OED entry:

"A pleasant, distinctive smell frequently accompanying the first rain after a long period of warm, dry weather in certain regions. Also: an oily liquid mixture of organic compounds which collects in the ground and is believed to be responsible for this smell.
    1964 I. J. Bear & R. G. Thomas in Nature 7 Mar. 993/2 The diverse nature of the host materials has led us to propose the name ‘petrichor’ for this apparently unique odour which can be regarded as an ‘ichor’ or ‘tenuous essence’ derived from rock or stone. This name, unlike the general term ‘argillaceous odour’, avoids the unwarranted implication that the phenomenon is restricted to clays or argillaceous materials; it does not imply that petrichor is necessarily a fixed chemical entity but rather it denotes an integral odour."
  • First.Aspect
    Interesting. I thought it sounded like a modern contrivance. The glue between the first and second part of the word is still setting. A bit like "biochar" or "nanotech".

Ichor is a nice word though. How is that pronounced, without sounding like a nob?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,691
    edited March 2022

But chor?

It's Ichor - originally blood of the gods, but also the liquid that seeps from a wound.

Ickor is how I would say it.

Oh, Brian's already done the long version.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

But chor?

It's Ichor - originally blood of the gods, but also the liquid that seeps from a wound.

Ick-or is how I would say it.
    So it also translates as Peter's puss?
  • briantrumpet

rjsterry said:

But chor?

Puss and pus are two slightly different things...
  • First.Aspect

rjsterry said:

But chor?

Puss and pus are two slightly different things...
    One is certainly furry.
  • First.Aspect
    The Japanese have an interesting view of Europeans:

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    Ukraine is worth defending then
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    pinno said:

masjer said:

But chor?

Having lived in the tropics, when it hadn't rained for some considerable time, the smell of rain could be sensed from 40+ miles away. It was fantastic. The rains brought life, greenery, (sometimes an end to drought) and as a child, I would jump around in it. The first rains were a joyous occasion.
    I used to think that I could smell the rain coming but that makes more sense that I am smelling the rain that has already fallen
  • briantrumpet
    pinno said:

masjer said:

But chor?

Reminds me of the end of the drought in '76 - I was at a Gloucestershire CCC match in Bristol when the heavens opened, and everyone (all 127 of us) went onto the pitch and stood in the rain.
  • That Jack Leach should have pursued Quidditch or pub darts. I know, health issues. But, really...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    The nickname of Irish President, Michael D Higgins - Miggledy - originated with a child's homework misspelling that went viral
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Always baffled me why it is so popular in a country with a fairly temperate climate.

A bit like the history of great Dutch tdf climbers i suppose.

Until the 21st Century, it was more common than not for the canals and lakes to freeze in winter.

It's been a tradition for quite a while.

etc

So a millennium or so of that, tends to build up a bit of tradition. Combine that with the Dutch predilection for sport, it quickly becomes a sport etc.

You know RC sometimes you don't need to explain the entire arboreal ursidae digestive cycle to your fellow forumites.

The little ice age occurred across the whole of Europe but to this day people don't try to erect funfairs on the Thames.

You get the point - its a slight anomaly.
    OK let me spell it out really simply.

Until the 21st century, it was normal for canals & lakes to freeze over each winter.

Understood?
    Dude, I'd understood it before. No need for a conversation about how many beans we have if we add two beans to two other beans, Baldrick.

I still think it's an anomaly that its stuck around. It's not as though there's a great tradition of telemark in Scotland is there? Until recently there was much more snow.
    Golf? It's not an anomaly - the world is full of these localised traditions.
    Hugely popular winter sports in a temperate climate = anomaly.

Golf in Scotland = not anomalous.
    You said earlier you got it but this suggests you still don't. It was pretty much the norm for the canals to freeze through the winter months temperate climate or not. It is only in relatively recent times it stopped being the norm and by then the sport of speed skating had become a national obsession.

It's a bit like arguing it is odd that cricket is so popular in a country where it rains so much.
    Well if two generations at least is recent then I stand corrected. Look I live somewhere colder where the analogous traditional activities have all but died out together with the ice. Curling is the example I have in mind. If it wasnt lottery funded we wouldnt be remotely successful and even fewer people would do it. Hence, I find it at least interesting that people who live somewhere a bit warmer are mad keen on a winter sport.

Cricket is a 5 day game because of where it was developed. Not sure where that analogy is going.
    Has curling died out as a participation sport in Scotland? When I was young it was very popular - the park near my grans had an outdoor curling rink they would flood in Winter and I remember curling stones outside the front doors of houses on their council estate.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    It's alive and kicking here.
    One of the Olympians lives half a mile from me in the village.
    And yes, there are curling stones everywhere.

As an aside, what a lesson in economics:
    Curling stones don't exactly wear out quick, so once you have saturated the market with them...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Always baffled me why it is so popular in a country with a fairly temperate climate.

A bit like the history of great Dutch tdf climbers i suppose.

Until the 21st Century, it was more common than not for the canals and lakes to freeze in winter.

It's been a tradition for quite a while.

etc

So a millennium or so of that, tends to build up a bit of tradition. Combine that with the Dutch predilection for sport, it quickly becomes a sport etc.

You know RC sometimes you don't need to explain the entire arboreal ursidae digestive cycle to your fellow forumites.

The little ice age occurred across the whole of Europe but to this day people don't try to erect funfairs on the Thames.

You get the point - its a slight anomaly.
    OK let me spell it out really simply.

Until the 21st century, it was normal for canals & lakes to freeze over each winter.

Understood?
    Dude, I'd understood it before. No need for a conversation about how many beans we have if we add two beans to two other beans, Baldrick.

I still think it's an anomaly that its stuck around. It's not as though there's a great tradition of telemark in Scotland is there? Until recently there was much more snow.
    Golf? It's not an anomaly - the world is full of these localised traditions.
    Hugely popular winter sports in a temperate climate = anomaly.

Golf in Scotland = not anomalous.
    You said earlier you got it but this suggests you still don't. It was pretty much the norm for the canals to freeze through the winter months temperate climate or not. It is only in relatively recent times it stopped being the norm and by then the sport of speed skating had become a national obsession.

It's a bit like arguing it is odd that cricket is so popular in a country where it rains so much.
    Well if two generations at least is recent then I stand corrected. Look I live somewhere colder where the analogous traditional activities have all but died out together with the ice. Curling is the example I have in mind. If it wasnt lottery funded we wouldnt be remotely successful and even fewer people would do it. Hence, I find it at least interesting that people who live somewhere a bit warmer are mad keen on a winter sport.

Cricket is a 5 day game because of where it was developed. Not sure where that analogy is going.
    Has curling died out as a participation sport in Scotland? When I was young it was very popular - the park near my grans had an outdoor curling rink they would flood in Winter and I remember curling stones outside the front doors of houses on their council estate.
    I think it is one of those popular every 4 years sports. I've not, in fairness, visited the Highlands all that often in winter, nor have I gone ice skating recently so seen if it is something you could possibly do there. But I don't know anyone who does it, it is never on the Jocksport TV show or local sports news.

So I think it's up there with track cycling in terms of participation.
  • masjer
    Weren't there some great jokes about curling on here a while ago?
    I'll see if I can remember any...........................
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    The KFC twitter account only follows 11 other accounts

The 5 Spice girls & 6 guys named Herb

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641
    What "in the army" means.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    ^^
    Well?

The older I get, the better I was.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641
    A fan of BTS (a Korean pop group).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583

A fan of BTS (a Korean pop group).

Doubt that was what Status Quo were singing about then.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    Clearing the daft draft.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGNK-cOtxSs

In 2019, Renck (Stakka Bo) directed the mini-series Chernobyl, a dramatization of the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, for SKY and HBO, featuring among others Stellan Skarsgård, Jared Harris and Emily Watson. Renck won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Directing for a Limited Series, Movie, or Dramatic Special in 2019 for his work on Chernobyl. In January 2020, Renck won the Directors Guild of America Award for Movies for Television and Limited Series.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Renck
  • briantrumpet

Clearing the daft draft.

Best way I've found is to save a full stop as a draft to delete any auto-saved nonsense BR has decided to, then it doesn't really matter if you forget to delete it next time you post in the thread. Saves filling the threads with daft "Clearing the daft draft" nonsense.