Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    I give up.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

Big country has a lot of stuff shocker.

The passing of Stuart Adamson was a shame.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671

Always baffled me why it is so popular in a country with a fairly temperate climate.

A bit like the history of great Dutch tdf climbers i suppose.

Until the 21st Century, it was more common than not for the canals and lakes to freeze in winter.

It's been a tradition for quite a while.

etc

So a millennium or so of that, tends to build up a bit of tradition. Combine that with the Dutch predilection for sport, it quickly becomes a sport etc.

You know RC sometimes you don't need to explain the entire arboreal ursidae digestive cycle to your fellow forumites.

The little ice age occurred across the whole of Europe but to this day people don't try to erect funfairs on the Thames.

You get the point - its a slight anomaly.
    OK let me spell it out really simply.

Until the 21st century, it was normal for canals & lakes to freeze over each winter.

Understood?
    Dude, I'd understood it before. No need for a conversation about how many beans we have if we add two beans to two other beans, Baldrick.

I still think it's an anomaly that its stuck around. It's not as though there's a great tradition of telemark in Scotland is there? Until recently there was much more snow.
    Golf? It's not an anomaly - the world is full of these localised traditions.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    rjsterry said:

Always baffled me why it is so popular in a country with a fairly temperate climate.

Until the 21st Century, it was more common than not for the canals and lakes to freeze in winter.

etc

So a millennium or so of that, tends to build up a bit of tradition. Combine that with the Dutch predilection for sport, it quickly becomes a sport etc.

You know RC sometimes you don't need to explain the entire arboreal ursidae digestive cycle to your fellow forumites.

The little ice age occurred across the whole of Europe but to this day people don't try to erect funfairs on the Thames.

Until the 21st century, it was normal for canals & lakes to freeze over each winter.

Understood?
    Dude, I'd understood it before. No need for a conversation about how many beans we have if we add two beans to two other beans, Baldrick.

I still think it's an anomaly that its stuck around. It's not as though there's a great tradition of telemark in Scotland is there? Until recently there was much more snow.
    Hugely popular winter sports in a temperate climate = anomaly.

Golf in Scotland = not anomalous.
  • First.Aspect

Wind power per capita. Note that China's energy use per capita is lower than many countries.

Per capita Total
    1 Denmark 1068 6,235
    2 Sweden 933 9,688
    3 Ireland 864 4,300
    4 Germany 747 62,184
    5 Norway 738 3,977
    6 Spain 572 27,089
    7 Portugal 509 5,239
    8 Finland 449 2,474
    9 Uruguay 426 1,514
    10 Belgium 406 4,692
    11 Greece 384 4,113
    12 Netherlands 375 6,600
    13 United Kingdom 369 24,665
    14 Australia 367 9,457
    15 Austria 361 3,224
    16 United States 355 117,744
    17 Canada 353 13,577
    18 Luxembourg 262 166
    19 France 258 17,382
    20 Estonia 238 316
    21 China 200 281,993
    22 Croatia 195 788
    23 Lithuania 193 539
    24 Italy 183 10,839
    25 Cyprus 178 158
    26 Poland 164 6,267
    27 Romania 156 3,023
    28 New Zealand 153 784
    29 Chile 109 2,149
    30 Turkey 106 8,832

Puts rather a different spin on things.

Those are capacity numbers. I searched but could not find output numbers. The wind industry doesn't tend to like those as much, because it turns out that although they have capacity to power more homes than have ever existed, once in a while turbines don't run at capacity.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553

rjsterry said:

etc

Understood?

You said earlier you got it but this suggests you still don't. It was pretty much the norm for the canals to freeze through the winter months temperate climate or not. It is only in relatively recent times it stopped being the norm and by then the sport of speed skating had become a national obsession.

It's a bit like arguing it is odd that cricket is so popular in a country where it rains so much.
  • Pross
    Here's an article that explains how they have an active plan to help freeze the canals when it looks like the weather is going to be cold enough for long enough.

https://www.dutchamsterdam.nl/802-amsterdam-prepares-canals-for-ice-skating-fun#:~:text=Before the winter of 2018,Amsterdam was in February 2012.&text=1 Before the winter of,Amsterdam was in February 2012.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622

Wind power per capita. Note that China's energy use per capita is lower than many countries.

Per capita Total
    1 Denmark 1068 6,235
    2 Sweden 933 9,688
    3 Ireland 864 4,300
    4 Germany 747 62,184
    5 Norway 738 3,977
    6 Spain 572 27,089
    7 Portugal 509 5,239
    8 Finland 449 2,474
    9 Uruguay 426 1,514
    10 Belgium 406 4,692
    11 Greece 384 4,113
    12 Netherlands 375 6,600
    13 United Kingdom 369 24,665
    14 Australia 367 9,457
    15 Austria 361 3,224
    16 United States 355 117,744
    17 Canada 353 13,577
    18 Luxembourg 262 166
    19 France 258 17,382
    20 Estonia 238 316
    21 China 200 281,993
    22 Croatia 195 788
    23 Lithuania 193 539
    24 Italy 183 10,839
    25 Cyprus 178 158
    26 Poland 164 6,267
    27 Romania 156 3,023
    28 New Zealand 153 784
    29 Chile 109 2,149
    30 Turkey 106 8,832

Puts rather a different spin on things.

Those are capacity numbers. I searched but could not find output numbers. The wind industry doesn't tend to like those as much, because it turns out that although they have capacity to power more homes than have ever existed, once in a while turbines don't run at capacity.
    Not really. China still has a lot of wind. It has more than New Zealand and Italy per capita. It also has a lot of hydro.

The production data is quoted in various places. It's not a secret that wind doesn't provide base load.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

etc

Understood?

You said earlier you got it but this suggests you still don't. It was pretty much the norm for the canals to freeze through the winter months temperate climate or not. It is only in relatively recent times it stopped being the norm and by then the sport of speed skating had become a national obsession.

It's a bit like arguing it is odd that cricket is so popular in a country where it rains so much.
    Well if two generations at least is recent then I stand corrected. Look I live somewhere colder where the analogous traditional activities have all but died out together with the ice. Curling is the example I have in mind. If it wasnt lottery funded we wouldnt be remotely successful and even fewer people would do it. Hence, I find it at least interesting that people who live somewhere a bit warmer are mad keen on a winter sport.

Cricket is a 5 day game because of where it was developed. Not sure where that analogy is going.
  • pinno
    Cool runnings?
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

etc

Understood?

While temperate, for most of the last millennium it's been cold enough for skating. I would suggest that long thin, relatively shallow and slow moving bodies of water are more likely to freeze than larger lakes, so they may even have more access to scating ice than colder climates.

Why is golf so popular popular in hot dry countries with no grass?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

etc

Understood?

Well if two generations at least is recent then I stand corrected. Look I live somewhere colder where the analogous traditional activities have all but died out together with the ice. Curling is the example I have in mind. If it wasnt lottery funded we wouldnt be remotely successful and even fewer people would do it. Hence, I find it at least interesting that people who live somewhere a bit warmer are mad keen on a winter sport.

Cricket is a 5 day game because of where it was developed. Not sure where that analogy is going.
    There aren't many people in Scotland. There are lots in the Netherlands, most living near a strip of water that often froze.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

etc

Understood?

There aren't many people in Scotland. There are lots in the Netherlands, most living near a strip of water that often froze.
    The population of Scotland is 5 million. Its not that there aren't enough people, it's that too many of them are lazy fat bustards.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

etc

Understood?

The population of Scotland is 5 million. Its not that there aren't enough people, it's that too many of them are lazy fat bustards.
    Not a good control group then ? 😀
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    Gulf stream also means Britain is actually not really cold in the winter. I mean, Edinburgh's a tiny bit further north than Moscow, but it doesn't have the same winter...

Worst winter I've ever experienced was (just outside) New York City, which is as northernly as... ehem... Spain. It really was two months full of snow. If that happened in Edinburgh, those two months would have been entirely lost for good. We might have all starved to death, even.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

etc

Understood?

Almost twice the area and less than a third of the population. Naeb'dy aboot.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    edited February 2022
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

etc

Understood?

Almost twice the area and less than a third of the population. Naeb'dy aboot.
    That's it RJS - yer doin' grand!
  • rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

etc

Understood?

While temperate, for most of the last millennium it's been cold enough for skating. I would suggest that long thin, relatively shallow and slow moving bodies of water are more likely to freeze than larger lakes, so they may even have more access to scating ice than colder climates.

Why is golf so popular popular in hot dry countries with no grass?
    it extends the tourist season
  • Pross
    That my daughter has had a profile on IMDB for the last couple of years with a "known for" credit
  • I've just realised that elderly ladies in mini clubmans are an affront to the natural order of things. Or are they? Would love to hear Plato's take on it. But he's probably at the nude wrestling with Socrates.

Also!!!! As long as English cricket is stuffed full with chinless, sunken chested, bow shouldered anaemic public schoolboy turnips, then they'll always be poop.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    The 3 highest paid officials in the Pentagon are the football coaches of the Army, Navy and Air Force teams

Per @SportingIntel on the Twitter
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    What happened in Babyn Yar.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pinno
    edited March 2022

In WW2 or now?
  • tailwindhome
    pinno said:

In WW2 or now?
    WW2

• pinno

pinno said:

In WW2 or now?
    WW2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babi_Yar
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    Piña has been emptying his draft folder, but the above wasn't one of them.
  • That first year commerce students are easily offended
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Pub chucking out time in Oz.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Pub chucking out time in Oz.

Damn, very close.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Australians have their sense of humour removed at birth.