Interview clothing

1789101113»

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,671
    I think you must need to be singularly stupid in order to be qualified to run a recruitment process.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,777
    I can't help but picture Pross doing one of those dating agency videos as parodied by Smack the Pony.

https://youtu.be/jJg8Z0dL350
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,782
    I can see the purpose of it, it saves several busy people trying to co-ordinate diaries only to find within a few questions that they aren't what you're looking for. It seems it involves those standard questions "tell me about yourself", "why do you want to work for us" and the ones I really hate "tell me about a time where you did 'x'" that no matter how much I prepare an answer they ask me something slightly different and I have to search 30 odd years of work memories for a decent example. The plus side with this is that you can re-record your answers apparently.

It's a long process, after this it would be an interview with the recruitment consultant then psychometric testing then a 2 stage interview with the prospective employer.
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

I can see the purpose of it, it saves several busy people trying to co-ordinate diaries only to find within a few questions that they aren't what you're looking for. It seems it involves those standard questions "tell me about yourself", "why do you want to work for us" and the ones I really hate "tell me about a time where you did 'x'" that no matter how much I prepare an answer they ask me something slightly different and I have to search 30 odd years of work memories for a decent example. The plus side with this is that you can re-record your answers apparently.

It's a long process, after this it would be an interview with the recruitment consultant then psychometric testing then a 2 stage interview with the prospective employer.

For Christ's sake.

They just need to do an interview, rather than 4 interviews. That way they wouldn't be too busy to do one of the three interviews they don't need to do.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,704
    edited October 2021
    I think the recruitment process makes little sense especially in a time of staff shortages everywhere. Everyone seems to endure it, because that is the way it has always been, but for example, the employer should be selling themselves as a great place to work, not asking candidates to explain why it would be great.
  • As we have a rough idea what you do any how senior you should politely decline to participate. It is a process suited for interns and gives you a heads up to what it would be like to work there.
  • Pross

I think the recruitment process makes little sense especially in a time of staff shortages everywhere. Everyone seems to endure it, because that is the way it has always been, but for example, the empoyer should be selling themselves as a great place to work, not asking candidates to explain why it would be great.

Depends on the role really. It's a seller's market at lower levels and there's certainly far more out there for me than there was when I was desperate to move about 5 or 6 years ago but I would say this is quite a rare role which will attract quite a few people.
  • Pross
    Well I've discovered this solo interview thing is horrible. It feels very unnatural and wooden, I've started again at least a dozen times already and just as I was getting somewhere a dog started barking outside and set mine off then my laptop crashed so decided to try to recompose myself and do it again this vening or tomorrow.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,879
    Pross said:

Well I've discovered this solo interview thing is horrible. It feels very unnatural and wooden, I've started again at least a dozen times already and just as I was getting somewhere a dog started barking outside and set mine off then my laptop crashed so decided to try to recompose myself and do it again this vening or tomorrow.

I guess you now have an insight to actors and TV presenters plights.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,335
    We'd be happy to give feedback if you post it
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    pangolin said:

I'm self-aware enough to know that the efforts so far have been shite. I need to somehow type up my answers and have them just above the camera like an auto-cue. These set questions are my enemy in interviews at the best of times, I think that's why I've always done better in interviews for small companies where they take a less formal approach and are more interested in how you'll fit into the company than large companies are. I still think it is worthwhile for this opportunity though.
  • Pross said:

pangolin said:

I'm self-aware enough to know that the efforts so far have been shite. I need to somehow type up my answers and have them just above the camera like an auto-cue. These set questions are my enemy in interviews at the best of times, I think that's why I've always done better in interviews for small companies where they take a less formal approach and are more interested in how you'll fit into the company than large companies are. I still think it is worthwhile for this opportunity though.
    I interviewed somebody yesterday and he was stood up, it definitely was a good idea
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,847
    Pross said:

pangolin said:

Could stand your wife behind the camera so you're half talking to her.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,879

Pross said:

pangolin said:

With Bob Dylanesque cue cards.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

Pross said:

pangolin said:

I did consider that but it is finding a way to set up that will allow it, I might try it to see how it works. As PB says she could hold my answers up to read as well.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,847
    Pross said:

Pross said:

pangolin said:

I did consider that but it is finding a way to set up that will allow it, I might try it to see how it works. As PB says she could hold my answers up to read as well.
    Hold the phone by her face?
  • First.Aspect
    Do your answers as a rap. Stand out from the crowd.
  • What are you going to wear?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399

Do your answers as a rap. Stand out from the crowd.

Genuine lol!

Definitely post that for us, Pross! :)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,335
    Do a remake of Lose Yourself, it's basically about getting a job already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YuAzR2XVAM
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    I ended up with a monitor with my responses mounted just above the laptop screen like an autocue but it still wasn't very natural and was an awkward experience. I did subsequently speak to the recuiter on a Teams call so couldn't have been too bad. Next stage is hopefully with the company reps themselves if all has gone OK so far.