Lachlan Morton - EF Gone (Alternative) Racing

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,338
    Thomas de Gendt is insanely jealous, I reckon
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,946
    He's closing in on starting the stage 5 TT :) Good effort so far. Don't envy the transfer distance from 20-21 though
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yup he looks to have just stopped for lunch at the start of the TT.

The transfer stage 5 to 6 looks fairly hefty so I guess he will want to get a headstart.

And yeah, he will need a big headstart for the 20-21 transfer - it's 700km, whereas the peloton will fly and cover it in about an hour...

There's some things in his favour though, the two TT days are pretty short, and also the rest days, where he'll make up time. Also when they get to the Alps and Pyrenees, the transfers are fairly short (although balanced out by the fact he has a 20kg bike to get up all the hills).
  • bobmcstuff
    I think he could beat the peloton quite significantly if he wanted to - but I guess he won't, because arriving days and days before the peloton probably isn't so good for exposure.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    I wonder how "unsupported" it'll be at that point....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    ddraver said:

I wonder how "unsupported" it'll be at that point....

He should be able to do this ride unsupported and still beat the peloton.

Well, as unsupported as he is currently - he isn't packing everything in and out with him...
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    sandals - like old school audax. Fantastic as long as you dont let your feet get burnt
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,627
    That makes me cringe at the thought of the damage that can happen if he crashes. I think I'm still traumatised from when I was a kid and we went to Barry Island. My sister was taking ages walking across the road in a pair of flip flops and holding up traffic so my mum grabbed her to hurry her along resulting in her losing most of the skin off the top of her feet!
  • ddraver
    Gossip is that he's got a bad knee so is using flats. Sandles have been popular amongst tourists for years eh?
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,338
    Crashing isn't really that much of a thing, outside people really pushing it, or getting hit by a car, or inside the peloton
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Saddles are the work of the devil
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    At least he's not wearing socks with them.
  • Pross
    itboffin said:

Saddles are the work of the devil

Better than sitting on a pointy seat post (unless that's your thing!).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,763
    Not sure the sandals are really rapha’s vibe.

• bobmcstuff
    amrushton said:

Ehm

He is...
  • bobmcstuff

Not sure the sandals are really rapha’s vibe.

You've not seen the Rapha slides then?
  • bobmcstuff

amrushton said:

Ehm

He is...

• bobmcstuff
    He's most of the way through the transfer to stage 8 now (although he does seem to be off the route they published at the moment...)
  • bobmcstuff
    edited July 2021
    He missed a food stop yesterday afternoon, apparently didn't eat after 4.30 and rode another fair few km - looked pretty bleak yesterday evening! Looks wet as well.
  • bobmcstuff
    He's on the transfer to Stage 10, will be passing through Moutiers soon where I once spent several days in hospital with a crushed vertebra...
  • ddraver
    Good work. If they fly you to Moutiers you know it's pretty serious...

(Annecy, you know it's time for the priests, Bourg St Maurice, you're a big Jessie and should've walked it off ;) )
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    edited July 2021
    ddraver said:

(Annecy, you know it's time for the priests, Bourg St Maurice, you're a big Jessie and should've walked it off ;) )

I was driven down from a GP in Champagny (off the back of La Plagne). I had tried to walk it out before I realised I couldn't bend to sit on the chairlift, probably not the smartest move. The doctor in Champagny had given me some really good drugs so I felt brilliant by the time I got to the hospital!

3 days there and then the insurance put me on a private flight back to Bristol (me, a doctor and two pilots...). I've always made sure to have good insurance since.

The break wasn't that bad really, I was in a back brace for 3 months but otherwise mobile. No real lasting effects.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Crashing isn't really that much of a thing, outside people really pushing it, or getting hit by a car, or inside the peloton

Or ducks.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ddraver said:

Didn't you get the heli from Montgenèvre?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    On a family ski trip a couple of years ago I sat having lunch watching the helicopter go up and down the mountain pretty much all day, so I asked the locals what would it cost to be airlifted of the slopes, anywhere from 10-20K€ now as an ex helicopter pilot I know that’s some markup on fuel costs. Get your fully inclusive insurance folks
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ddraver

ddraver said:

Didn't you get the heli from Montgenèvre?
    Not me...

I skied down on my broken ACL. 😳
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    He's going to beat them by (almost) a week...

- @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    I thought he probably would. Still has that 700k transfer...
  • Pross
    I'd like to see an alternative TdF race like that so along the lines of RAAM and possibly a bit closer to the origins of the Tour.