Lachlan Morton - EF Gone (Alternative) Racing

13»

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited July 2021

I thought he probably would. Still has that 700k transfer...

Just an overnighter for Lachy... ;)

Do you think he's going to do all the laps of the Champs..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver said:

He is riding it overnight... 579km apparently. Should arrive in Paris tomorrow morning.
  • bobmcstuff
    Been following Lachlan and at least partly based on that I wanted to do some kind of adventure, so this weekend rode Scottish C2C and back to my brothers... 230k Saturday and 103k yesterday, and I'm pretty buggered today... Lachlan is a machine. I've done some tours with 150k back to back days, but doing 300-odd every day for 2+ weeks is full on nuts.
  • ddraver

ddraver said:

He is riding it overnight... 579km apparently. Should arrive in Paris tomorrow morning.
    Ha ha, I meant it as a joke!!
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    ddraver said:

ddraver said:

Ha ha, I meant it as a joke!!
    Well he took it as a challenge apparently ;)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,538
    Lazy barsteward, the real pros have to carry on for another 6 days.
  • bobmcstuff
    Incredible
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770
    ddraver said:

Apparently.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    You have to be a bit actually mad to want to do something like that.

Sounds utterly horrendous.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Brilliant
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

It's definitely one of those achievements you're happy for somebody else to have experienced.
  • pblakeney

It would be interesting to attempt the less alternative version. Fully supported with transfers and hotel to hotel. His version is nuts!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver
    Good on ya Lacky!
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff

Apparently he rides a lot even for a pro - he pretty much lives on the bike.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

It would be interesting to attempt the less alternative version. Fully supported with transfers and hotel to hotel. His version is nuts!
    Someone I used to race with back in the 90s has just done that (not sure if they had much support but stayed at hotels over night). He rides lots of miles anyway as I think he leads group rides on Majorca and is also a freelance mechanic that works with pro teams / national squads. He described some of the days as the hardest he has ridden. His group didn't do the circuits of the Champs though.
  • Pross
    Seems to have a fairly cushy contract though, I guess it's in keeping with the EF ethos. His actual race days seem very low, he has only ridden two GTs and 5 Classics (all Tour of Lombardy of which he has only finished one). I suppose he still gets more exposure for the sponsors than most of the team though so is probably value for money.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Someone I used to race with back in the 90s has just done that (not sure if they had much support but stayed at hotels over night). He rides lots of miles anyway as I think he leads group rides on Majorca and is also a freelance mechanic that works with pro teams / national squads. He described some of the days as the hardest he has ridden. His group didn't do the circuits of the Champs though.
    I can't imagine it being easy. My hopes would be resting on having done 6 consecutive days in the mountains whereas the Tour generally only has 3 and the flatter days in-between being "easier". Although some "flat" stages seem to accumulate a lot of metres.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    edited July 2021
    Pross said:

I suppose he still gets more exposure for the sponsors than most of the team though so is probably value for money.

Which is what sponsors are in it for......and yet again he's delivered a lot. The views on the EF/Rapha YouTube channels for these events dwarf the 'proper' racing.

Maybe some of the French teams could do similar - instead of racing around France achieving very little.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • bobmcstuff
    Pross said:

Seems to have a fairly cushy contract though, I guess it's in keeping with the EF ethos. His actual race days seem very low, he has only ridden two GTs and 5 Classics (all Tour of Lombardy of which he has only finished one). I suppose he still gets more exposure for the sponsors than most of the team though so is probably value for money.

He's raced in some non-road races, endurance/gravel races and so on.

I would say it is great VFM for EF and Rapha - the travel thing works well for EF and Rapha use his stuff a lot (probably more than the pro racing stuff). I certainly watch a lot of it, although I probably watch a lot of cycling content generally, I tend to seek his videos out.
  • ddraver
    I'd say he get a lot more 'exposure' for doing Dirty Kanza and GB Duro than winning a stage of the Volta Algarve...
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    edited July 2021
    The final stage https://www.strava.com/activities/5618719248

Even includes laps of the Champs Elysees!
  • Pross

Pross said:

He's raced in some non-road races, endurance/gravel races and so on.

I would say it is great VFM for EF and Rapha - the travel thing works well for EF and Rapha use his stuff a lot (probably more than the pro racing stuff). I certainly watch a lot of it, although I probably watch a lot of cycling content generally, I tend to seek his videos out.
    Yeah, just feels like it is something he could still do as a part of the 'team' but without using up a squad place. I'm not criticising him in any way, he is getting far more exposure for the sponsors than possibly any of their other riders. I'm just surprised he isn't needed more in his "day job".
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    He's prob 'subsidised' within the team. Yes if they need him for a race but for Rapha it fits with the Enduro ride anywhere ethos. He is certainly vfm in terms of good publicity. Couldnt be doing with the tent life tho'. Hotel, dinner, comfortable bed for me.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Better than sitting at this bloody desk.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Ben6899 said:

Better than sitting at this bloody desk.
    Honestly. No.
  • bobmcstuff
    https://youtu.be/VrMx_JooERQ

Video on the alt tour, came out a few days ago and finally got round to watching. Nice little video.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Interview with him here on the Real Science of Sport podcast this week https://play.acast.com/s/realscienceofsport/e3-s24-pro-cyclist-lachlan-morton-and-the-quest-for-enduranc
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)