Giro 2021:- Stage 20: Verbania – Alpe Motta 165 km **Spoilers**

123457»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,894
    "Everybody get to the front of the bus!"
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • thejimmymethod
    thejimmymethod Posts: 458
    edited May 2021
    RichN95. said:

"Hang on lads, I've got a great idea"

Looks like a bit of a coach park heading down

One of the team busses is stuck heading down Passo della Spluga and the road is now temporary closed. #Giro

(Video from Nicolas Roche IG in DSM bus heading down.) pic.twitter.com/tIOrOjXm79

— La Flamme Rouge (@laflammerouge16) May 29, 2021
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    Glad Caruso got a stage win.

Not just because he's always worked for others but it would have been easy to defend his 2nd yesterday but he risked losing that to take a chance at winning the Giro - and it could have worked if Bernal hadn't been able to follow Martinez. At least now he won't wonder could I have win the Giro on that stage - he knows the answer is no you couldn't Bernal was too strong.

The other thing from yesterday I thought it was interesting the way Bahrain and DSM used the descent to get a gap taking advantage of Ineos prioritise keeping the team together - and then how Martinez was clearly slowing the chase with his lack of confidence down hill. I wonder if teams have taken note of that as a possible way to put Ineos under pressure in future.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,356
    For all the "Shame to see Martinez riding as a domestique, typical Ineos" stuff I saw on twitter, 5th (which he should make) will be his best gt result, he's only just scraped in to top 30 before.

And yes, he needs some serious work on his descending or he's an exploitable weakness for Ineos. As leader he'd be slaughtered, it was bad enough seeing Ineos having to wait for him as mountain domestique.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399

RichN95. said:

"Hang on lads, I've got a great idea"

Looks like a bit of a coach park heading down

One of the team busses is stuck heading down Passo della Spluga and the road is now temporary closed. #Giro

(Video from Nicolas Roche IG in DSM bus heading down.) pic.twitter.com/tIOrOjXm79

— La Flamme Rouge (@laflammerouge16) May 29, 2021
    According to the Boulting/Millar podcast it was total bedlam. Every bus got stuck on every hair pin. Total organisation Fail...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169
    ddraver said:

According to the Boulting/Millar podcast it was total bedlam. Every bus got stuck on every hair pin. Total organisation Fail...

Actual footage of Dani Martinez on the Ineos bus and the reason he left the opportunity to come 8th with EF Education

Twitter: @RichN95
  • huret
    huret Posts: 62
    dabber said:

huret said:

So fans don't need to wear masks at the roadside now? Just asking as I'm going to some Dauphine stages next week. I have a feeling it won't be the same in France.

How are you going to handle the quarantine?

I live here.
    Savoie between the Glandon and the Madeleine.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043

Verbania became the destination of an international élite tourism and the summer residence of the aristocracy and upper classes that led to the opening of the first hotels and the building of sumptuous villas with gardens.

Just a heads up that Villa Taranto (the villa is now the prefecture building but the gardens are open to the public). was developed by Scotsman Neil Boyd McEacharn and it is one of the best gardens.... in the world. McEacharn gifted the gardens and house to the Italian state and they are run as a not for profit organisation.

They are well worth a visit although July/August is very hot in the area.

Not far from Verbania is Alpe Rossombolmo, which is one of the hardest climbs in Europe. From Boden the climb is closed to public road traffic.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,169
    Bernal was meant to go back to Colombia to a big celebration. But he's tested positive. For Covid - this is 2021 not 2006.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,870
    Ugh poor guy.
  • ddraver
    Well done everyone for resisting the urge to do a thread titled

BERNAL POSITIVE!

In no way would I have done it if Rich hadn't been sensible in here 😶
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♀️
    - @ddraver
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Given how he was snogging everyone he could after the time trial it’s a wonder C19 is all he’s got.
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,091
    Pedantic point: the first pass photo is of the San Gottardo Tremola, not San Bernardino (below)

I hope that your prediction of things kicking off on the second climb is correct, as I'll be roadside on the Splügenpass tomorrow
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    red.rider said:

Pedantic point: the first pass photo is of the San Gottardo Tremola, not San Bernardino (below)

I hope that your prediction of things kicking off on the second climb is correct, as I'll be roadside on the Splügenpass tomorrow

I reckon you've got your dates mixed up😄
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,356
    gsk82 said:

red.rider said:

Shhhhhh. Looks like a nice spot to hang around anyways
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,091
    gsk82 said:

red.rider said:

Ha! Looks like my post visited a red-zone and was quarantined for two weeks