Giro 2021:- Stage 20: Verbania – Alpe Motta 165 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Let's see who drills it on this first climb and how hard - that should give us an idea.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    Bike Exchange and DQS are obviously up for it.
    Trek would be too, if Nibali had a team left.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 268

Has anybody seen the video of Bernal walking to sign a cap for a fan after yesterday’s stage, will only add fuel to the rumours about his back. #uncomfortable

Yes, but most didn't seem to notice he was walking up and down an uneven embankment and just watching where he put his feet
    Yes I saw that but he still looked uncomfortable, definite slight stiffness in the back. May just be normal after a long bike ride (comparing to the bloke next to him who walks normally) but without speculation where is the fun?

• DeVlaeminck
    Any link to the vid of Bernal?
  • DeVlaeminck
    No worries found it - not sure it points to a bad back tbh
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    Noticed Yates is riding deep section wheels today. A bit unusual for him on a mountain stage
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Lots of talk of how great Swiss road surfaces are and then they hit the centrepiece of the Giro's visit to see a mishmash of cobbles and bad blacktop reinstatement.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    Ineos look Lazer focussed . DQS should have Expended the flat Landers already . Easier said than done I guess
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Bri Smith called the way the break would go - nobody significant getting riders up the road - hopefully he was right about the action starting on the first climb too

I think it has to, tbh.
    It comes down to the usual question of who is prepared to risk their current position. Yates I think will, Caruso is less likely as I think he'll be happy with a GT podium.
    Caruso will just stay on bernals wheel for as long as possible unless bernal Really does collapse ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    High altitude suits bernal.
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2021

Noticed Yates is riding deep section wheels today. A bit unusual for him on a mountain stage

He rarely rides non aero . Attack on the descent 🤔😁
  • bianchi_dave

He rarely rides non aero . Attack on the descent 🤔😁
    Thats what I was thinking. He's not really known for doing that- so surprise tactic!
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Alpe Motta is not big enough for Yates to gain 2 minutes, me thinks...

How do they rate in tomorrow's TT? Is Yates a lot better than Bernal, or they're both small guys who don't go very fast?

Yates was 1 second faster on Stage 1, and were both about 40s off the top.
    Final stage of Tirreno Bernal 4 seconds faster, around 55 seconds off top.
    Wouldn't expect much between them tomorrow but depends how they are after 3 weeks and a big stage today.
    Big thing with the TT is Bernal's back I think. If he's really got back issues, the TT position can't help
  • bobmcstuff
    Anyway, just got in from my own ride - first one all year in short sleeves I think! Brilliant.

What have I missed? Doesn't look like there's too much going on.
  • Pross
    Ganna looks like he was told to watch for trouble until the climb then have a warm down for tomorrow.
  • mididoctors
    Shame we lost landa and Buchman ... Mind you sivakov in the ineos train would have been unhelpful in making it a spectacle.
  • mididoctors
    Bardet represent
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    DSM come to the front, after their guy in the break dropped back. Bardet feeling frisky maybe?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bianchi_dave
    DSM really taking this up. Fingers crossed Yates can get away with Bardet 🤞
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • mididoctors
    We need a team to do this . GO DSM
  • Pross
    Ineos slipped DSM a few quid?
  • mididoctors
    Lot of riders getting dropped now
  • blazing_saddles
    Did somebody promise Bardet that if he had a go today, he wouldn't have to do the 30km time trial tomorrow?
  • mididoctors
    Bardet will go on the descent?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    Doesn't bode well when people are hanging on for dear life and Ineos have Puccio still tapping away.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    This couldn’t have gone better for Bernal so far
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    phreak said:

Doesn't bode well when people are hanging on for dear life and Ineos have Puccio still tapping away.

Pretty much
  • blazing_saddles

Bardet will go on the descent?

Looking like it, isn’t it?

• bobmcstuff
    GCN app being a real bitch about casting today. Back to laptop I think...
  • bianchi_dave
    Awesome descent this, for the brave 🙈
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10