New Helmet, User Feedback Please.

reaperactual
reaperactual Posts: 1,185
edited March 2021 in MTB general
After a good look around online and watching a lot of YouTube reviews I've decided to go for a Giro Fixture helmet. Lots of vents to keep cool this Spring and Summer.

So far it seems to tick my boxes, looks nice, is light, fits well? and sold at a fair price. There seems to be a MIPS and non MIPS version.

Just thought I'd throw the question out there for anyone who has this or similar Giro helmet and can give me a true heads up (pun?) on pro's and cons if any? I'm not particularly bothered about having MIPS at this point.

If anyone recommends getting the MIPS rather than not I'll happily be swayed on this.

As always any comments and thoughts are welcomed. Thanks!

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    You can't tell if a helmet will fit well from reviews. You can only tell when you try one on. Different brands fit different head shapes.

This helmet may fit you well but be aware it might not and you may need a different one.
  • reaperactual
    Thanks for the quick response. Never had a helmet with the rear ratchet wheel adjustment before.

My last few helmets were recommended for between approx 59-61cm head measurements and all have fitted really well and also been very comfortable. I can only assume my head is pretty standard. 😬

It's a fair point and will probably be an online purchase. I'll try and look for this in a shop and at least try one on first before I commit. Thanks for the advice @wongataa. 👍
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    If you have a had a Giro before then it will probably fit OK, as I believe that each manufacturer uses their own last. I could never find any other helmet but MET that fitted me until I came across Bell.

If the Giro Fixture has a ratchet wheel adjustment at the back, then it may also have a height adjustment as well. Look for a vertical slider at the back with several notches. They may be difficult to move. The height adjustment is, I guess, to allow for those with pointy heads or maybe those that have ears that are mounted low down. :)
  • reaperactual
    edited March 2021
    Hi Steve. 👋 From what I've seen the adjustment only seems to be for circumference but will take a closer look on some You Tube vids again. All new to this ratchet style so thanks for the input.

I've tried a Buddy's Endura Humvee helmet on recently, that felt fine. Have tried and owned p#ss pot/skater style Bell and a TSG Evolution helmet in the past and they've been fine too.

My current one is a Decathlon with straightforward padding and elastcated padded band around the back.

Becoming apparent as I've not tried a Giro before I should definitely try one on first. Thank's again for the tip, I'll check it out and get down the shops a.s.a.p. 😎👍
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    I have the Endura Humvee and for me it fits real good and the price is good too.
  • reaperactual
    edited March 2021
    Ah yes, I agree @gomezz. I do like the Humvee and actually went with my Buddy to the shop when he bought it.

Although I've got my heart set on a Giro if it isn't suitable I won't be too disappointed as the Endura is my second option and will get one of those instead. 😀
  • steve_sordy
    The Bell I referred to is a Bell Super 3, but without the clip on chin bar that turns it into a lightweight DH helmet. (I'm wearing a Bell Super in my profile picture). I already had a MET Parachute for the DH stuff when I got the Bell, hence why I felt no need for the chin bar. The Bell Super is what I call a proper Trail helmet. It goes deeper down either side of my ears and is generally more robust than the XC helmets that I had been wearing before. Despite it being more robust, I still managed to smash the one in the picture! I rode into an overhanging branch that had been hidden by leaves from other lightweight shrubbery. It was a big branch that was looping down and I hit the bottom bit. I was only doing about 6-7 mph thank heavens, but it was enough to split it right through . I ended up on the floor and with the helmet jammed well down, implanted specs, blood etc. It was only later I realised that the helmet was a write off.

Somehow I always managed to write off every helmet I have ever owned, I suppose that is their destiny! :*
  • reaperactual
    edited March 2021
    Wow, your low hanging branch incident sounds nasty Steve and does show you can't put a price on choosing a solid safe helmet I suppose.

It's all well and good until that one time it isn't, then it's too late.

Think I'll maybe re-think my criteria and do some more research into the safety aspects of the Giro and other brands. Maybe there's a much better choice of helmet to be had.

Glad I threw this out to the forum to get these real world responses, thanks!

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Moved from the Bell super 2R which was comfy and reasonably vented to a TLD A1 mips. The A1 is super comfy but the ventilation seems to do nothing and my head boils.
  • reaperactual
    Did have a quick google for both the TLD and Bell you mentioned. They seem a good choice. I've seen a few riders wearing The Bell Super and do like them with or without the chin bar attached.

Realise there's gonna be a compromise on some aspects I guess.

The vents on both look better than I have now, preferring the Bell Super up to now and it would be great to have the full face option for the occasional bike park visits when I push in the excitement of the day. I don't ride like a wuss all the time, lol!😆

Will take a closer look at those, thanks Mully. 👍
  • steve_sordy
    The Bell Super is a cool helmet in both senses of the word. The air flow is very good, which is great in the Summer, but not so good in the depths of Winter! In the recent weather, once it got below 4degC I had to wear a skullcap to protect my bald head. Skullcaps are not a good look, but its better than brain-freeze! I've had the skullcap a long time, from before those neck-tubes that are so versatile were commonly available. I have seen those being used bandana style to good effect, although a double layer may be necessary.

I liked the TLD A1 from a style and features viewpoint and I really wanted to buy one but the sizing was bad for me. The medium was too small and the large was just too large and made my slender body look like I was a drawing pin! I believe that TLD tried to do without an XL size by making the size bands wider than usual.

I will keep on buying the Bell Super for as long as they are making them.

If you ever fancy a go at somewhere a lot rougher than your usual trails, then buying the chin bar to go with the Bell Super may be a good move. The reviews I have read say that it works and that protection is good. But obviously not as good as a dedicated DH helmet. The helmet looks perfectly acceptable without the chin bar, doesn't look like something is missing.
  • reaperactual
    Thanks for the continued advice and help Steve. 😎

Been having a good look at the Bell range. Agree it's a great helmet, looks wise and everything else.😋

I'm currently bidding on a Georgeous and new model Bell Super Air R at the moment.

Realistically my highest bid is going to be nowhere near comparing with R.R.P. It's also medium (55-59cm) and not sure it will even fit!😬

Reckon this ridiculous low bid is as close as I'm going to get to owning one as I can't justify spending so much on a helmet unfortunately.

Still looking and may splash out on a Super 2 sold without the chin bar then get one at a later date. Unless someone is interested in buying one of my kidneys that is?😆
  • mully79
    If a face plant is going to lose you a weeks wages then its a no brainer.
    Current prices seem crazy. i paid about £70 for the TLD A1 mips before Corona.
  • steve_sordy

T......... It's also medium (55-59cm) and not sure it will even fit!😬

The Bell Super Air is a full face helmet. If the circumference of your head is within 55-59cm it will fit. Bigger than 59 and I doubt you will even be able to get it on. Below 55 and you may be able to make it fit, but it may move around whilst you are riding. The last thing you want is for the helmet to tip forward when coming up to a drop.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I have a Bell Super 3R that I have only ever used at bike parks.
    Never thought of using it without the chin bar but this thread inspired me to try. Used it in 'open face' mode for the first time last night and it's great. I was going to buy a new helmet as I have never been happy with the fit of the Fox Flux helmet I currently use but won't bother now. :)
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • reaperactual
    mully79 said:

If a face plant is going to lose you a weeks wages then its a no brainer.
    Current prices seem crazy. i paid about £70 for the TLD A1 mips before Corona.

Can't argue with you recommending safety above anything else when it comes to helmets Mully.

I rarely see riders on my local trails that wear full face helmets and not that many even on Trail Centre days out.

I like the idea of being able to convert between both types but realistically I wouldn't do full face mode very often anyway.

Am considering just buying a cheaper dedicated full face helmet purely for trail centres but I would feel it's overkill when doing my average local rides and I'd be the only rider wearing one 90% of the time.🤔
  • reaperactual

T......... It's also medium (55-59cm) and not sure it will even fit!😬

The Bell Super Air is a full face helmet. If the circumference of your head is within 55-59cm it will fit. Bigger than 59 and I doubt you will even be able to get it on. Below 55 and you may be able to make it fit, but it may move around whilst you are riding. The last thing you want is for the helmet to tip forward when coming up to a drop.
    Yeah had a quick look at the two I have now. Pretty sure I'm around 58-59cm so confident a medium will be fine and fit just right. 👍
  • reaperactual
    edited March 2021
    JBA said:

I have a Bell Super 3R that I have only ever used at bike parks.
    Never thought of using it without the chin bar but this thread inspired me to try. Used it in 'open face' mode for the first time last night and it's great. I was going to buy a new helmet as I have never been happy with the fit of the Fox Flux helmet I currently use but won't bother now. :)

Nice one JBA. They look great both ways and can't think of any reason not to use it for every ride. 😎🤘
  • reaperactual
    edited March 2021
    On a semi related matter. I was going to list my TSG Evolution helmet on Ebay. It would only allow me to advertise as new and it isn't. I understand as safety equipment it shouldn't legally be re sold.

This was a helmet I bought a long while ago, I loved it and the only reason I bought a new one was because I wanted one with a peak. It is a limited edition 'New Guy with Tanner Golbeck design graphics' and seems quite rare (only found one matching image on Reddit) and I bought it from a bike shop in France and had it shipped over.

Do I list it as new then make it clear that it isn't on the detailed description like a lot of the others listed have?

I know it's not been in an accident or even hit the ground and is 'as safe as the day I bought it' but want someone to enjoy it instead of being stored in a cupboard to never be used.

What would you do in a similar situation? I would rather give it away if it means someone will enjoy it but obviously the extra cash will help my new helmet budget.
  • steve_sordy
    edited March 2021
    List as new and make it clear in the description, on the lines of what you posted above.

I have posted my grandchildren's helmets as "used" before (never managed to sell one though), so I guess that eBay have changed their policy since then.

By the way I have a Youth’s blue/white bike helmet by Giant “Prompt” (49-57 cm) in original box and in excellent condition. I will send more pics and full details to anyone interested.

• reaperactual
    Thanks Steve. Not sure about Ebay policy buy they certainly aren't enforcing it due to lots of listings selling used helmets. Was torn between it being a moral and/or legal decision.

I will advertise the s#it out of it and push the limited edition, rare angle to aid the sale and hope it shifts.😆

P.S. If I could squeeze my head into your youth helmet we could have done swopsies! 😬
  • mully79
    Helmets on ebay is crazy risky. Loads of fakes and dodgy copies.
  • reaperactual
    edited March 2021
    Took some pics to put my TSG on ebay. Looking close the eps and outer shell have de bonded a little at the front so I ain't selling it.

Agree you don't know what your gonna get although there's a few genuine looking Bell full face helmets for sale, they're selling for stupid money, close to R.R.P.

The Brand new Bell Super Air sold for £175, fair enough. Another 'rarely used' R3 ended on £175 too but didn't meet the sellers reserve price, taking the p#ss I reckon!

Anyhow I'd love an R2 or R3 but ain't paying that kind of money for any helmet from ebay or otherwise. Still looking around for something else.

Feel free to tear me a new one but am tempted to buy something like this!😆

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cairbull-SUPERCROSS-Lightweight-Helmets-Mountain/dp/B07GYM7T7C

• steve_sordy
    As soon as I saw the pictures I thought that there must be a mistake, it was as though I was looking at a Bell Super! I compared the pictures with my own Bell Super and apart from the name they are identical. The vents and shape, the seams are all identical. Whatever angle I looked at, all identical. The padding inside is different, that is all.

I wonder if Cairbull have got hold of some Bell Super helmets that were rejected at the factory? Cheap though at £35.

Cairbull Supercross, even the name is a rip off of from Bell Super!

Buy with your eyes wide open. You don't want to be "just a little bit" brain damaged.
  • reaperactual
    Lol, yes not looking to accept a 'little bit brain of damage' but just wary of these rip of brand's safety requirements or if they're even true.

The cairbull has a C.E. certification? Not a clue if it's a stringent standard or recognised from country to country?

Does look exactly the same and can already hear the rattle can for a custom paintjob to mimic the Bell even more Steve.

Looks good and the price is great but is it worth it? Is it safe generally? I just don't know and 50/50 at the moment.
  • steve_sordy
    edited March 2021
    From Wikipedia:

CE marking is an administrative marking that indicates conformity with health, safety, and environmental protection standards for products sold within the European Economic Area (EEA).[1] (It is not a quality indicator or a certification mark.[2]) The CE marking is also found on products sold outside the EEA that have been manufactured to EEA standards. This makes the CE marking recognizable worldwide even to people who are not familiar with the European Community.

CE marks don't appear to have a reference number, so how can you check whether it's a fake?

From Google:

The easiest way to check that a product has CE marking is to look for the symbol. It should be on the product itself, or on the packaging or information that came with it. If you suspect that a manufacturer is misusing the CE mark, you can request a certificate of conformity and/or a declaration of performance.

Doesn't help does it? :(

This should help though. It is not from a biking website, but is the top 15 FAQs about the CE mark, including how to spot a fake.

https://www.glazingvision.co.uk/blog/top-questions-on-ce-marking/#:~:text=The easiest way to check,or a declaration of performance.
  • steve_sordy
    oohh err! Do you feel lucky Reaper?

:'(
  • reaperactual
    An eye opener. Well thanks Mully and Steve. Yes it's a risk. Thought the C.E. mark and the fact it's an Amazon sale might have made it safer somehow, a bit naive of me I suppose and I should know better.

The big surprise is the fact I could end up with a fake Giro helmet! Understand how dodgy the clones of expensive helmets could be but not a Giro too!🤯

After all this searching I was circling back to the Giro as the 'genuine, no doubt, safe option' and a good helmet for a good price point.

Thank you both for the excellent info provided, definately food for thought and I need to look deeper into whatever I look at and at least try to make sure it's the real deal.👍 The fake Bell is obviously out of the running.
  • w7london
    w7london Posts: 37
    Get the MIPS. Always get the MIPS. I know there's conflicting advice on whether it will actually help, but for a few extra quid, the chance that it might be safer is worth it in my book.