Specialized Allez gear cable routing help

I’m trying to replace the rear gear cable on my Specialized Allez but I need some help and advice threading the outer cable through the internally routed frame.

I removed the old outer cable and threaded a thin tube over the old inner cable to act as a guide for threading the new inner cable. The guide tube went through the frame fine and I replaced the inner cable, which again threaded back through the guide fine.

I’m trying to thread the new outer cable back through the frame from the bottom over the new inner cable but it just won’t come out of the exit hole at the top of the frame. I can feel it hitting the top of the frame near where it should come out but I can’t see it or get anything in the exit hole to grab it and guide/pull it out.

I’ve tried so many times I’ve now got a bit of a kink in my inner cable and also can’t get the guide tube back over the new inner cable to try again!

Has anyone got any advise to help get the outer cable out of the exit hole?

Inside the frame, there’s this larger foamy tube that the old outer cable ran through. I’m wondering if it even needs an outer cable inside the frame, or is it still needed to stop wear/damage? I’ve cut the new outer cable to the same length as the old outer cable so sure it must have gone through the frame before.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    The hole near the headtube looks really small. I've no experience with internal cabling on Specialized but it looks like the the outer cable from the lever should end there and just the inner go through the frame. However, the fact the original outer went all the way through the tube suggests this isn't the case as does the lack of a cable guide under the BB shell for the cable to the rear mech.

I would try removing the inner cable from the frame and push the outer through from the head tube end as you are more likely to be able to fish it out from the larger hole under the BB. The outer can then be used as the guide to push the inner cable through.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    edited February 2021
    So is the O.E. outer cable housing one piece that runs from the STI to a cable stop on the chainstay? If so do as i.bhamra suggests above, feed the new outer in from the down tube aperture.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Why wouldn't you feed it in from the top?

logic says its going to be a 'mare to feed it in through the bottom.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • i.bhamra said:

The hole near the headtube looks really small. I've no experience with internal cabling on Specialized but it looks like the the outer cable from the lever should end there and just the inner go through the frame. However, the fact the original outer went all the way through the tube suggests this isn't the case as does the lack of a cable guide under the BB shell for the cable to the rear mech.

I would try removing the inner cable from the frame and push the outer through from the head tube end as you are more likely to be able to fish it out from the larger hole under the BB. The outer can then be used as the guide to push the inner cable through.

Thanks i.bhamra. That worked a treat :-)
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    Cool, glad you got it sorted!