Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,523
    de_sisti said:

How it stays in orbit. In fact, everything about it.

Satellites strike the balance between gravitational pull and the curvature it's 'falling' at maintaining equilibrium.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,770
    pinno said:

de_sisti said:

Satellites strike the balance between gravitational pull and the curvature it's 'falling' at maintaining equilibrium.

Bring back the one and only Manc33. He'll explain why gravity doesn't exist, the world is flat and satellites, the ISS, the moon and the sun are all il/delusions.
  • orraloon said:

pinno said:

de_sisti said:

Bring back the one and only Manc33. He'll explain why gravity doesn't exist, the world is flat and satellites, the ISS, the moon and the sun are all il/delusions.
    He died in a 5G fire
  • pinno
    I thought he fell off the end of the earth whilst running away from a Sabre tooth tiger.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,399
    edited August 2020

de_sisti said:

The space station and how replacement crews find it easy to navigate there, change over and get back to earth. How it stays in orbit. In fact, everything about it.

There was a very good series about the moon landing which covered the first men in space through to the actual moon walk and it really helped understand what they were doing as they learned from scratch.
    I think this was shown on the BBC to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the moon landings. It was called "Chasing the Moon" and it was fantastic! Could be on iPlayer if anyone is interested . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,068
    What is going through the heads of the people in this thread:

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,411

Haven't got a scooby. The image quality has been downgraded so much that if I zoom in enough on my phone the text is just a blurred squiggle. Can you post a link or give us a clue?
  • pinno
    As in the above post, gobbledegook.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,770
    Is it this thread he means?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,444
    I can just read the first question - "In all seriousness, one of my tenants has left the place completely spotless. How can I keep the security deposit?"
  • rick_chasey

I can just read the first question - "In all seriousness, one of my tenants has left the place completely spotless. How can I keep the security deposit?"

Yeah and it goes on from then - bunch of landlords offering ways to scam tenants out of their deposit.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,964
    That is simply shocking! Though not entirely surprising.
    By way of balance, my previous digs landlord let me store everything FOC throughout lockdown and is holding it for me until informed otherwise.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2020
    One for AITA
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,411
    pblakeney said:

That is simply shocking! Though not entirely surprising.
    By way of balance, my previous digs landlord let me store everything FOC throughout lockdown and is holding it for me until informed otherwise.

Indeed, that is appalling. More balance, the lad was contracted to his uni digs to the end of June. They spoke to the landlord at the beginning of lockdown and he agreed to waive half their remaining rent as they were all moving out at the end of March. They cleared out and cleaned up to the point that the landlord thanked them for being such good tenants when paying the deposit back early.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,841

If it's anything like me, probably that they need better specs?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Deposits in Jockland have to be deposited with an official 3rd party.
    Perhaps Engerland should follow suit.
  • Saturn is the 6th planet of the solar system, Saturday is the 6th day of the week and both are often peoples favourite. Is there some connection with the naming?
    robert88 said:

Why do people think there is a god?

Same reason people used to think the Earth was flat or that pregnant women can fly.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pinno said:

https://www.propertyinvestmentproject.co.uk/blog/tenancy-deposit-protection-easy-guide/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,984
    pinno said:

They do (not sure if it's a legal requirement though). It doesn't help. My daughter took ages getting her deposit back from her Uni digs and even then they'd charged a cleaning fee despite photos showing it was immaculate. We set my sister on them then and they eventually paid up in full.

My other sister actually replaced the worn out carpets in a cottage she rent and repainted after a problem with damp, both with the landlord agreement. When she left he then withheld the deposit because of a slight mark on the carpets and a stain on the new paintwork where he hadn't properly fixed the damp problem. It took her months to get the deposit back through the third party scheme, all they did was a 'he says, she says' back and forth.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    The whole Milemuncher thing. I see these threads pop up where people take him to task and it's like a car crash - you know you shouldn't stare at it but you just can't help yourself.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,984
    shortfall said:

The whole Milemuncher thing. I see these threads pop up where people take him to task and it's like a car crash - you know you shouldn't stare at it but you just can't help yourself.

Same with that Zest character who lives mainly in Pro Race.
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2020
    Pross said:

pinno said:

They do (not sure if it's a legal requirement though). It doesn't help. My daughter took ages getting her deposit back from her Uni digs and even then they'd charged a cleaning fee despite photos showing it was immaculate. We set my sister on them then and they eventually paid up in full.

My other sister actually replaced the worn out carpets in a cottage she rent and repainted after a problem with damp, both with the landlord agreement. When she left he then withheld the deposit because of a slight mark on the carpets and a stain on the new paintwork where he hadn't properly fixed the damp problem. It took her months to get the deposit back through the third party scheme, all they did was a 'he says, she says' back and forth.
    I lived in halls in first year and they held back the deposit for every single resident - was crazy.

Anyway I happened to be interviewing a candidate about 7 years later. Turns out his firm owned and was running said halls of residence (from an investment perspective) and he was leading it.

Suffice to say I asked the Q (is x standard practice) it got super awkward and my boss told me off afterwards haha.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

Saturn is the 6th planet of the solar system, Saturday is the 6th day of the week and both are often peoples favourite. Is there some connection with the naming?

robert88 said:

Why do people think there is a god?

Same reason people used to think the Earth was flat or that pregnant women can fly.
    Saturday is the 7th day of the week.
  • pinno
    edited August 2020
    Mrfpb has a point.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Just started perusing this article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-dc2d6e2d-3ab4-42de-8d03-bb7eda5fff8e

The article portrays a post Covid world where we are still socially distancing and minimising contact with everything/everyone.

Now, the article itself is a bit wishy washy and obviously speculative but it does prompt some interesting discussion.

There is a common thought that overly sanitised lives have led to reduced resistance to germs etc.

If our long term response to Covid is to sanitise our existence even further, are we actually doing more harm than good?
  • kingstongraham
    I honestly don't think that will be the long term response. Maybe masks on trains will be more used when there is an outbreak, but that's no bad thing.

There's going to be more home working, but not necessarily for hygiene, just because after this year there's no real argument to stop people from putting in a shift at home if they want to.

I think most of the theories on overly sanitised lives refer to the exposure in childhood to bacteria. So if that's a worry, it's key that schools and nurseries return to something approaching normal and don't put the kids through a sheep dip on the way in and out.
  • pinno
    Well, it's funny how in many underdeveloped countries, C19 has not spread. These are populated by people who live in environments that are not clean and they live cheek by jowl.
    I presume that their immune systems are far more resilient because they are exposed to many more pathogens etc.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Developing countries tend to have less internal travel, certainly by distance, and less international travel (though too-ing and fro-ing of emigrants may be a vector).
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,790
    And a younger demographic.