Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,474
    Ben6899 said:

Conservatories are like ensuite bathrooms... a bit mock Tudor.

Ensuites are quite handy if you need a p1$$ in the night though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I guess if you live in a flat you don’t need an on suite bathroom.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

morstar said:

Why DJ's (of the Ibiza type) are so famous.
    I'm not denying there must be a skill involved to both seamlessly blend from track to track and read a room but ultimately, you're just playing someone elses music. I'd imagine literally thousands of dance music fans could do a similar job in blind tests. Especially when a significant proportion of the audience are off their tits.

Dance music is super basic so it’s pretty tough to make sound interesting.

I love it and there is a world of difference between a home made effort and an international banger.
    I can’t really reply constructively without it simply becoming a debate about likes and dislikes which wasn’t really the purpose.
    Like, I say, I don’t doubt there is some skill there but you won’t convince me it’s not overstated / overvalued as a skill.

If I were in a 50K crowd at a premier league football match, I reckon there would be a handful of people in the crowd who could step on the pitch and not be completely out of their depth.
    If I were at a rave with a couple of thousand, I am sure quite a few could keep the party going successfully.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    edited August 2020
    morstar said:

morstar said:

I'm not denying there must be a skill involved to both seamlessly blend from track to track and read a room but ultimately, you're just playing someone elses music. I'd imagine literally thousands of dance music fans could do a similar job in blind tests. Especially when a significant proportion of the audience are off their tits.

I love it and there is a world of difference between a home made effort and an international banger.
    I can’t really reply constructively without it simply becoming a debate about likes and dislikes which wasn’t really the purpose.
    Like, I say, I don’t doubt there is some skill there but you won’t convince me it’s not overstated / overvalued as a skill.

If I were in a 50K crowd at a premier league football match, I reckon there would be a handful of people in the crowd who could step on the pitch and not be completely out of their depth.
    If I were at a rave with a couple of thousand, I am sure quite a few could keep the party going successfully.
    Have you ever tried? It’s not that easy, honest.

Knowing what to play to suit the crowd and how to move the crowd along to another place (figuratively) is not easy and if you go to these things you’ll know when the DJ doesn’t hit it. The place goes very flat.

Also, no sound system does dance justice apart from a massive PA in a decent club tbh.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,327
    Rick Chasey the featherweight 55kg raver. Who'd have thought?
    I suppose you only need half an ecstacy pill.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • morstar said:

morstar said:

I think you underestimate premier league football.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,327
    Yeah. Players are averaging 10 kilometers per game easily. When you watch a PL game live, the pace is astounding.
    Combine the technical skills required - at that pace and very few could keep up.
    One mistake can change a game (Gerrard?).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,747
    pinno said:

Yeah. Players are averaging 10 kilometers per game easily. When you watch a PL game live, the pace is astounding.
    Combine the technical skills required - at that pace and very few could keep up.
    One mistake can change a season (Gerrard?).

FTFY. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457
    It would depend on how representative the 50k crowd is of the general population, but having watched the repeat of Euro 96 at the start of lockdown, i would think some of the mid 90s players would be out of their depth!
  • morstar
    pinno said:

One mistake can change a game (Gerrard?).

That’s my point. Literally, a tiny number wouldn’t be completely out of their depth. I.e. not totally embarrassed. I’m not suggesting they’d be effective.
    I don’t believe the level of skill of a dance music DJ is comparable.
    But I’m not debating further. The thread is trivial things.
  • morstar
    I am intrigued as to which topic will win out in the tools thread.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    morstar said:

I'm hoping tools will win :D
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    shortfall said:

Wife's cousin is married to a DJ and manages him and a few other acts. They get paid absolute f.uckloads of money and get flown around the world to various nightclubs and festivals. It leaves me cold if I'm honest. Maybe a bucket load of ecstasy helps?

It's probably something to do with your inner ears.

You have a brain between them :)

The older I get, the better I was.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,474

morstar said:

That doesn't narrow it down a lot :p
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

That doesn't narrow it down a lot :p
    Exactly
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,489
    Ben6899 said:

Conservatories are like ensuite bathrooms... a bit mock Tudor.

For us it was relatively cheap additional space but ultimately, with my home office out there, they're not the most practical spaces and we're now planning on getting a solid roof put on it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,489
    On the dance music debate, whilst not to my own taste I understand the attraction of it in a club. However, I'm intrigued by people who choose to listen to (generally very loudly to let everyone else hear) in their home or, worse still, in their car with all the windows down.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Pross said:

On the dance music debate, whilst not to my own taste I understand the attraction of it in a club. However, I'm intrigued by people who choose to listen to (generally very loudly to let everyone else hear) in their home or, worse still, in their car with all the windows down.

Yep, I don't want to listen to the music another person likes. I get the club, festival atmosphere thing though.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Ha that me.

Some music sounds better very loud.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited August 2020
    Nothing wrong with listening to music loud. Everything wrong with doing it so everyone else can hear to draw attention to yourself though.
  • Pross said:

Ha that me.

Some music sounds better very loud.
    That's like saying beer is better very cold
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Beers are nowadays served far too cold to appreciate them fully.

https://www.dummies.com/food-drink/drinks/beer/serve-beer-at-the-right-temperature/

Been served some that were uncomfortable to drink, they were that cold.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,747
    Being cold reduces flavour which may or may not be a good thing. 😉
    See also ice in whisky.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    Yep, ice in whisky is another big no no.
  • rick_chasey

Beers are nowadays served far too cold to appreciate them fully.

https://www.dummies.com/food-drink/drinks/beer/serve-beer-at-the-right-temperature/

Been served some that were uncomfortable to drink, they were that cold.

Makes the sh!te they serve more palatable.
  • ballysmate
    Makes no difference to a lot of lagers, especially North American type beers, which have no flavour to begin with.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    webboo said:

I guess if you live in a flat you don’t need an on suite bathroom.

This is true. Though I still won't fit one, if I ever buy something enormous up north.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited August 2020
    Doesn't it depend on the circumstances? If I've had a hard day or just come back from a long ride in the sun then I want a cold one straight out of the fridge and it's not going to touch the sides. In that situation any cheapo bland lager will do and I definitely don't want a warm craft bitter! Ditto if I'm on the p155 with the lads doing a pub crawl (which is increasingly rare these days) then I'm happy enough drinking Peroni, Sol, Corona or a mass produced bitter like a Tetley's that's fairly chilled. If however I'm having a meal out, I might choose a locally produced bitter or pale ale that goes well with whatever I'm eating and have it nearer room temperature.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    shortfall said:

Doesn't it depend on the circumstances? If I've had a hard day or just come back from a long ride in the sun then I want a cold one straight out of the fridge and it's not going to touch the sides. In that situation any cheapo bland lager will do and I definitely don't want a warm craft bitter! Ditto if I'm on the p155 with the lads doing a pub crawl (which is increasingly rare these days) then I'm happy enough drinking Peroni, Sol, Corona or a mass produced bitter like a Tetley's that's fairly chilled. If however I'm having a meal out, I might choose a locally produced bitter or pale ale that goes well with whatever I'm eating and have it nearer room temperature.

Basically this.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey

Makes no difference to a lot of lagers, especially North American type beers, which have no flavour to begin with.

North America produces and drinks a lot more overly *insert unpleasant flavour* craft beers than the U.K. does.

It’s an American thing