Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,701
    "O Whistle, an' I'll come to ye, my lad" :)
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Bloody Wakanda.

Now, don’t get me wrong, for those marvel type films that I take the kids to, Blank Panther was enjoyable enough and it’s significance exceeds the films content.

However, the whole mythology of the place was they were above, war, greed, infighting etc. etc. and existed in sharp contrast to the rest of the world.
    The film then descends into exactly those behaviours, showing that human nature can’t be overridden.

And yet we still hear it referenced as some sort of utopian ideal.

Kanye West the latest in case you’re wondering why mention it.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,828
    It was also very much an isolationist, protectionist mythological location.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,721
    morstar said:

Bloody Wakanda.

Now, don’t get me wrong, for those marvel type films that I take the kids to, Blank Panther was enjoyable enough and it’s significance exceeds the films content.

However, the whole mythology of the place was they were above, war, greed, infighting etc. etc. and existed in sharp contrast to the rest of the world.
    The film then descends into exactly those behaviours, showing that human nature can’t be overridden.

Couldn't we just edit your post down to a single word beginning with K.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar
    pblakeney said:

It was also very much an isolationist, protectionist mythological location.

Fair point, hadn’t considered it in those terms.
  • morstar
    rjsterry said:

morstar said:

Bloody Wakanda.

Couldn't we just edit your post down to a single word beginning with K.
    No, that would be a valid post, but I do hear the Wakanda thing from other sources.

Kanye should be a shoe in for president though. He is as unhinged and narcissistic as the incumbent.
  • When the sticky label on the plastic bag which holds the bread air tight is too difficult to peel apart!
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    Does that mean there is hope for a Star Trek future where we travel the universe in the pursuit of enlightenment?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,391
    edited July 2020

When the sticky label on the plastic bag which holds the bread air tight is too difficult to peel apart!

I've always wondered what it would be like for elderly people who have to struggle with packaging on a daily bases. How many of them end up in casualty because they've had a fight with a milk bottle seal or the above, or those damn shrink wrapping they do on fish/meat etc and a knife/pair of scissors?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    A company recently sent me an email by way of an apology. Maybe it's because I'm pushing 40 but I really didn't appreciate being addressed by my first name.
  • rjsterry
    nickice said:

A company recently sent me an email by way of an apology. Maybe it's because I'm pushing 40 but I really didn't appreciate being addressed by my first name.

Ugh. Overfamiliarity in business correspondence is the worst. Especially as it's so obviously insincere.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• focuszing723
    Threads with misleading titles. I went to see what the latest 'unpopular opinion' was and instead I find a tribute to Crufts!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,662
    Trying to arrange a holiday in the UK. Always seems incredibly expensive and requires booking ages in advance.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,828

Trying to arrange a holiday in the UK. Always seems incredibly expensive and requires booking ages in advance.

Going to be even more expensive and harder this year with flights in disarray.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • nickice
    Nicola Sturgeon's tartan face mask.
  • focuszing723
    Yeah, trying to make political point out of it is a bit naff. What now, everybody starts wearing their latest cause plastered round their chops!?
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    nickice said:

Just the mask? Not the rest of the rancid bint behind it?
  • nickice
    shortfall said:

nickice said:

Just the mask? Not the rest of the rancid bint behind it?
    Yes, but that wouldn't be trivial.
  • nickice
    Another one. Seeing signposts in Edinburgh written in Gaelic despite it never being widely spoken there.
  • shortfall
    nickice said:

Another one. Seeing signposts in Edinburgh written in Gaelic despite it never being widely spoken there.

I don't think it's widely spoken in Scotland full stop is it?
  • nickice
    shortfall said:

nickice said:

I don't think it's widely spoken in Scotland full stop is it?
    My grandparents (and older aunts and uncles) spoke it as a first language but they were from the Outer Hebrides. I understand, but don't agree with, trying to promote a traditional language but I don't understand doing it in an area where that language was never spoken
  • nickice
    The nationalists are very annoying today-

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• shortfall
    rjsterry said:
    Well that'll put another nail in the coffin of Scotland's tourism industry. Not to worry, there's always the oil money.........
  • nickice
    rjsterry said:
    That was funny. 'We have our own language' but he doesn't seem to be speaking it. Also standing in a part of Scotland that never spoke Gaelic (another reason why that sign behind him annoys me). What he's wearing could actually be quite sinister on a different person.

And don't get me started on the laws he doesn't understand...
  • rjsterry
    shortfall said:

rjsterry said:
    Well that'll put another nail in the coffin of Scotland's tourism industry. Not to worry, there's always the oil money.........
    Oh, I don't know. I think it's a sight worth seeing. Did you spot his attempt to set light to a Union Flag? Or report war crimes in Berwick.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• shortfall
    rjsterry said:

shortfall said:

rjsterry said:
    Oh, I don't know. I think it's a sight worth seeing. Did you spot his attempt to set light to a Union Flag? Or report war crimes in Berwick.
    No I missed that. He seems nice.
  • nickice
    It's all very well for the SNP to try to distance themselves from this but they don't exactly help.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,603
    edited July 2020
    What's Gaelic for 'prize be11end' ?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    nickice said:

It's all very well for the SNP to try to distance themselves from this but they don't exactly help.

Stevo, can you run up another certificate for understatement :)
    Pinnacle Monzonite