Stand-over clearance. How much do you have.

124»

Comments

• GT Avalanche large (18" i think)

travel 100mm

5'11"

31ish inseam

less than 1" clearance
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Is this thread still relevant? Didn't think standover mattered these days.
  • bond-007
    bond-007 Posts: 87
    Voodoo Bantu 20"

120 mm travel

32" inseam

1" clearance
  • MrM
    MrM Posts: 60
    Rockrider 8.1 Small
    100 mm travel

Height 165cm
    29 ½ inseam

Zero clearance :shock:
  • Brown sauce
    Brown sauce Posts: 111
    Glad I found this post, just bought a giant anthem x3 29er and was panicking a bit that I bought too small. But see lots of people have similar measurements to me.

Giant anthem x3 29er medium
    100mm travel

Height 6ft
    34 inch leg

2.5 inch clearance.
    2015 Stanton Switchback
    1993 Kona Lavadome
  • stuartfung
    stuartfung Posts: 90
    I recently bought the Cude Acid 26 in a small and for my price bracket found it to be perfect fit in terms of budget and ride.

Cube Acid 26 Small
    100mm travel

Height 5'7"
    29.5 inch leg

Approx 2 inch clearance
    Dialled Alpine MK2, Ragley Blue Pig, Giant TCR Carbon Road
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Just got my Grand Canyon AL 8.0 today.

HT size Large
    100mm
    5' 11 1/2"
    34" inch leg

2"--- 3" clearance

This thread has put my mind at rest...thought it might be to big !!
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • fredblob
    fredblob Posts: 196
    hardtail

bike: cannondale trial SL4
    travel: 100mm
    clearance: less than 1 inch :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    height: 6ft ish :P inside leg 32/33 :wink::wink::wink:
  • Hardtail, 18"
    120mm Front
    Inch, maybe inch and a half
    5ft 11" and prob about 30" not too sure
  • Cotic Solaris XL (so 20.5 inch)
    6ft 3 inch
    34 inseam
    stand over height - may 1/2 inch !!

A bit of a new experience as I have probably been riding frames too small for me for the last 10 years ...
    This seems to fit - a parts from the 'nada
  • mali01
    mali01 Posts: 81
    Giant Trance x3 (2013) Medium (18in)

140mm travel front

5ft 8.5in tall

31-32 inseam

1in clearance
  • Soggz
    Soggz Posts: 221
    GT Aggressor XC3
    120mm forks
    18" Frame
    5'8"
    2 1/2" clearance...
    vasectomy
    Now 2" clearance...
    Honest.
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    Cannondale jekyll

Travel: Front 150mm Rear 150mm

clearance: precisely 0mm

your height and inner leg measurements approx. 169cm and 73cm 5'7'' and 29''

once im on the bike it feels great.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • shortnwide
    shortnwide Posts: 7
    I struggle so much with standover height - like having any - on new bikes!

Hardtail (Kona Explosif 1999) - 18" frame

100mm fork travel

1.5" clearance

5' 4", 28" inside leg
  • Mongoose Tyas 29'er

XL Frame

120mm travel

No clearance...I can rest my nads at traffic lights.

6'1" 34" inside leg.
  • Are we measuring from the bottom of the sack, I'm almost touching the sack, I can feel the presence of the tube as it touches my short and curlies, but to my actual body, I'd guess 2/3inches
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    FS

140/140

4"

172cm/83cm
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • Giant Trance 29er (140mm front suspension). Medium.

5'8.5"

About 3 inches if I keep the bike level and pull straight up until it stops while the front of the seat touches my back. The steep angled top tube does come up quickly.

I see another Trance owner my height says 1 inche. I bet the difference is how we are measuring. That is the problem with this - everyone will measure differently.

I would prefer an extra inch, but a smaller frame would be too cramped in the cockpit, even with the 90mm stem.
  • Hardtail

100mm front forks

5ft 10in, 32in

1.5" clearance.
  • Ordered a bike online and turned out it was too big. Had absolutely zero standover clearance.

I'm 5ft, 9" and about 28.5" on my inside leg with my shoes on.

I've been told on a number of occasions that because of my height I should be an 18" frame, but I'm starting to think that a 16" or 17" frame may be the right fit for me, as I'm pretty sure I have short legs for my height (trousers and jeans have always been too long for me on the legs, despite always picking up the pair with the smallest leg length).

What are you guys' thoughts on this? I know there's nothing that can be substituted for trying the bike myself in the shop/store, but curious if there's anyone in a similar situation.

Really want to get a Cube bike (which is the one I ordered online), but there aren't any stores or shops selling them in or around Sunderland or Gateshead (other places are too far away, even on public transport) and I don't drive. It's been a total nightmare and just wish there was some way I could try on a few Cube bikes for size and even possibly have a chance to test ride them, though I understand there's risk that some people would simply ride off on them.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Length/reach is far more important than standover height.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited September 2016
    ^^^ This.

As someone who has short legs for my height, the right size frame for me leaves me little or no Standover clearance, but at least it fits properly for the 95% of the time riding it rather than the 5% I'm standing over it!*

5'9" and 29" inside leg and riding a medium 18" as I found a small was too short.

*percentages are an approximation to +/-5%
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've been told on a number of occasions that because of my height I should be an 18" frame, but I'm starting to think that a 16" or 17" frame may be the right fit for me, as I'm pretty sure I have short legs for my height (trousers and jeans have always been too long for me on the legs, despite always picking up the pair with the smallest leg length).
    I have the same problem. According to Canyon's bit fit calculator my legs are too short for my height...
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Cube LTD Race 29er
    XL frame (21")
    100mm travel
    181cm tall (5'11.75")
    33" inside leg
    Approx 2" clearance standover height.

Everyone told me that at my height the 19" frame would be big enough but the 21" is perfect for my height, anything smaller would be cramped and uncomfortable. I can ride the bike all day without even the slightest discomfort and that's on the stock Cube saddle which I also find very comfortable.
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    No idea and don't care.

I've never tried to straddle the bike and never intend to.

It's the last thing I'd ever worry about in getting the right frame and set-up and I'd rather worry about how the bike feels to be ridden.

Most modern bikes with non horizontal top tubes it depends on saddle height and placement anyway.... (so your standover is less with a dropper fully up because you can stand further back)
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    Ordered a bike online and turned out it was too big. Had absolutely zero standover clearance.

I'm 5ft, 9" and about 28.5" on my inside leg with my shoes on.

I've been told on a number of occasions that because of my height I should be an 18" frame, but I'm starting to think that a 16" or 17" frame may be the right fit for me, as I'm pretty sure I have short legs for my height (trousers and jeans have always been too long for me on the legs, despite always picking up the pair with the smallest leg length).

What are you guys' thoughts on this? I know there's nothing that can be substituted for trying the bike myself in the shop/store, but curious if there's anyone in a similar situation.

Really want to get a Cube bike (which is the one I ordered online), but there aren't any stores or shops selling them in or around Sunderland or Gateshead (other places are too far away, even on public transport) and I don't drive. It's been a total nightmare and just wish there was some way I could try on a few Cube bikes for size and even possibly have a chance to test ride them, though I understand there's risk that some people would simply ride off on them.

My conclusion is don't buy a Cube....
    I'm 5'10 (1/2) and 28" inside leg without shoes.... I've tested quite a few bikes (though no cubes) and each manufacturer tends to keep a certain body proportion ... from XC to DH.... (It's not 100% but a good rule of thumb)

It's alike buying a suit.... some lucky sods can walk into most stores and buy an off the peg one... I can't or I need a good 8" taking off the waist... so in reality I buy from places that do mix n match with trousers and jackets... ... but some brands will be better than others... i.e, a 44" chest might be 38" trousers with one brand vs 34" with another... 34" I can work with down to 28" but no take-in-service can take 38" to 28"

Bikes are similar ... you need reach to be correct and you need efficient pedalling... IMHO stand-over is irrelevant unless you are 16 and want to pose at the top of trials with mates... I quite honestly haven't even tried as I can't see any reason other than posing to ever stand-over the bike (off road where you don't have traffic lights and might not wish to practice track stands)

Personal experience is you can tell within a minute or two .... but I've persisted on bikes I've hired that felt wrong from the go....

I'd recommend perhaps take a weekend to go to a hire place with a selection of bikes... don't focus one one brand until you feel right on the bike.
  • OMark
    OMark Posts: 23
    L hardtail, 6'3" and 34". Have around 3-4" standover.
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    I have negative standover!
  • I have plenty of clearance :)
    Trimble 26er wight weanie 13lb 7oz