What shall I do at the gym?

13»

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Biscuiteer wrote:
    Don't think that anyone's recommended this yet (unless it appeared in the weird bit about the advantages of combining trampolining and childbirth that I skimmed over) but what about good old circuit training? I can highly recommend it!

It may or may not be similar to Body Pump - both activities are described as high intensity CV workouts in my useless gym brochure, but I'm not quite sure what the differences are.

Circuit training is for men...

they have two at my gym one cv based and one weight based I do both, they are proper nails
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Gyms are yawnfesttastic.

I go to a Yoga class every Wednesday, three sets of pressups each morning and I have a powerbar chin up bar.

My Yoga costs me £24 a month a gym would have too many machines in the way of my view. :wink:
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Linsen - I have a heavy punch bag suspended off a "Powerbar" pull up bar (can be hung in any doorframe with no damage!) - it's SUCH good exercise and utterly brilliant when someone or something has really got on your nerves :twisted: :lol:

Where can I get that stuff from? My husband's a windsurfer and keeps going on about getting a bar for pull-ups so this looks good - especially for those evenings I'm stuck in marking books :?
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • For those interested in Yoga... I too tend to get bored of slower exercises, I do a lot of swimming, cycling etc usually high intensity training.

There are many different styles of yoga, the trick is to pick one that best suits you. I think most people on here would prefer the ashtanga style. Its much more energetic than many of the styles and encompasses a powerful breathing technique.
    When you have learned to breath properly you create a heat in your very core that can be intense enough to make you sweat alone! The added flexibility that you will gain I reckon has to be beneficial on the bike, your less likely to incur injury if your flexible.

The core strength is definitely improved, I noticed a big difference when swimming fly as it requires a solid core body when coming out of the water for a breath. I also find yoga good for focus. Anyway I could rant on more but just go and try it! You might need a few classes before you begin to get into the flow but its worth it!

As for the gym, the rower is ace fun, a chance to work on the core and there is a definite rhythm required for breathing. Just be sure to concentrate on your posture as you can hurt your back if you do not row correctly.

Cross trainer is great, i some times use this to work on controlling my breathing – don’t know if its a good idea but it can be good fun! Try just to breath in and out through your nose whilst working at a good intensity. Once you find your rythm its great but if you breath through your mouth at any point you will struggle to get back into it!

Swimming, to work on your Lactate threshold try doing front crawl and do:
    1 Length breathing every 3 strokes
    1 Length breathing every 5 strokes
    1 Length breathing every 7 Strokes
    1 Length breathing every 9 strokes.
    Then do 9,7,5,3. You have to control your exhale properly so you don’t get caught short! Working on this should translate over to good sprinting ability on the bike.
    You are best to stick to 3,5,7,9 instead of 2,4,6,8, as if you stick to even numbers your stroke will become unbalanced, you will likely over reach on one side and also be stronger on one side.

Pah, I am ranting away here! Plenty to do at the gym, what ever you pick, start off easy, pay attention to your technique and build it up slowly! :D
  • Linsen, I also have a punchbag suspended from the outside of my house - which I beat up regularly if I'm a bit stressed out! It's good fun, and if you make yourself a regime on it it's good CV. However, my sore shoulders are telling me off for overdoing it after a 2-week break.

Also, I echo the sentiments of those who say don't dismiss the cross-trainer, they're very versatile, but don't just plod on one whilst reading a magazine - your body will plateau it out very quickly. As someone's already said, mix it up, add in dumbbells for your arms, with the arms up doing some weight exercise it's good for core etc. Mix up high and low resistance and RPM, vary your workout. Engage a fellow gym-goer in a competition - with or without their knowledge!

I went to Pilates last night, very relaxing, some of the exercises were a little tricker than I'd anticipated, i didn't get a headache, and I will go again next week!
  • thrope
    thrope Posts: 69
    Just thought I'd add the following links...

http://www.simplefit.org/
    Doesn't sound like much, but just try it - it's brilliant... Don't really need a gym but it can help especially at the start.

http://www.crossfit.com/
    Harder version of simplefit with more variety, but probably harder to get into unless there is a group near you.

There is obviously a huge variety of conflicting information, but the most convincing stuff I've read advises against using any kind of machine if your goal is increasing functional strength since the limited and unnatural range of motion prevents full development. Much better to do free weights (with proper form)..

If you're interested in lifting weights one of the best resources I've found on line is this blog:
    http://stronglifts.com/
    which as a lot of good advice and an excellent beginner program.

If you're more serious check out the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe:
    http://www.startingstrength.net/

Also, everyone who uses the rower (at least at my gym) should read this:
    http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=5310
    Having it on 10 doesn't mean you're working harder!
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Linsen - I use this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... e7ffd30589

Very effective and easily carries my 30kg punch bag. Means you have to hang it between a door but unless you have a VERY strong beam, it's the best compromise. Powerbar does no damage to the doorframe unlike lots of them - can also be used for press ups.

Punch bag was a present - about £80 pre-stuffed I think.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I have never heard the C2 settings of an ergo related to bodyweight before, and I've rowed for 15 years. It just might therefore be nonesnse.

The settings are provided to mimic oar resistance in different boats. the less resistance there is, the "snappier" the stroke has to be. For example, an VIII is less heavily loaded than a pair. Much less. If you were planning on racing a pair, you'd wish to train your body to be used to the higher gearing. If you were racing an VIII, you'd want to be used to the higher rating.

The take home message regardng resistance is that the numbers on the display are absolute - it doesn't much matter how they are generated. A rower is going to be unable to effectively use a rowing machine for long on "10" because they are able to put the power down so effectively. Conversely, a non-rower is unlikely to be able to pull an efficient stroke and is unlikely to be able to feel enough resistance at "4".

Rowing machines are tricky and can result in hurting your back and various other bits. I very very rarely see anyone, even gym instructors, using them correctly. Almost everyone "bum-shoves" - that is, they drive with the legs and initially just shove their bum out, before taking a sudden jolt to the lower back when you can't lean over any further.

I've also seen quite a few machines with the fan end higher than the feet at the back by an inch or less, in a misguided attempt to get a better hamstring excersise. Don't - you will injure the tendons behond your knee.

For several reasons, I'd advise against extensive use of the rowing machine unless you row. Its really best to use it just as a quick bridge between machines or as a gentle warm up.
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    Get a personal trainer ? I can't even afford gym membership , why do you think I commute to work by bike ? :wink:
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    12 year thread resurrection....reported
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    10k followed by steam room. You'll be done in an hour.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • linsen said:

I have a gym membership and now I cycle a fair bit too....

I can't cancel my membership yet, and anyway I like the sauna...

What else shall I do there?

Suggestions please, preferably not "how about a spin class" (too easy :wink:)

Lift things up, put them back down. Repeat. Apparently this is what Arnold Schwarzenegger did a lot of along with taking steroids. Not sure what exactly steroids do or how they work, but taking steroids and not exercising will just make you fat.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Find a high intensity one hour route to the gym,
    Drink coffee and eat cake at the gym,
    Sauna (optional)
    Find 15 minute easy route home