What shall I do at the gym?

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Martial arts classes? Kickboxing is best. Great exercise and great self defense.

Otherwise swimming (if they have a pool) and cross training machines with plenty of swiss ball work - great for laydeez.

Oh and wear a small outfit so us blokes can ogle...

As for children and figures (we have a 5 week old boy), these old bats are doing okay after a few kids...

263683_3.JPG

claudia_schiffer_vaughan_25_041108_.jpg

HurleyNayarAP_468x469.jpg

In fact most of the sexiest women in the World I can think of have kids...
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Oh my god I can't believe I just read this entire thread.
  • Jen J
    Jen J Posts: 1,054
    biondino wrote:
    God knows who said women were allowed to read or watch daytime telly but I hardly know a female who wants to have kids these days. Which is a pain cos I do :shock:

There are plenty - they all work for my company. After having just two people get pregnant in the 6 years I've been here, there are currently 7 pregnant people in my department...
    Commuting: Giant Bowery 08
    Winter Hack: Triandrun Vento 3
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • always_tyred
    Jen J wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    God knows who said women were allowed to read or watch daytime telly but I hardly know a female who wants to have kids these days. Which is a pain cos I do :shock:

There are plenty - they all work for my company. After having just two people get pregnant in the 6 years I've been here, there are currently 7 pregnant people in my department...

Who is the father?
  • Jen J
    Jen J wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Who is the father?

:lol:

All 7 have got married in the last two years, so I'm guessing they're all quite legitimate...
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Actually my children are the business, though they do somewhat challenge my patience / time etc etc.

Always Tyred - you should have known this would go wildly off topic...

Anyway, I'm going to the gym tonight for 1 hour. I am getting a new program in a few weeks, when they can fit me in, so someone tell me what to do so I don't just go, faff, then sit in the sauna after three lengths of the pool.....

Please.....I need bossing about!
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,588
    Jen J wrote:
    Jen J wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Who is the father?

:lol:

All 7 have got married in the last two years, so I'm guessing they're all quite legitimate...

*Perhaps they are polygamists?

*Saw a programme about it tuther week, hence it is fresh in my mind :lol:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    What? WHAT?

Actually scratch that, I don't want to know.

Another one for my list of 'reasons never to have children'.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

My OH has had two kids and we have a trampoline at home, which she uses, no problems so far...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • as someone said - get a personal trainer, some are excellent.

my wife's trainer has changed her programme at each stage of pregnancy, then will be controlling getting her back fit afterwards, working in careful steps as she gets over the birth, to the extent that I think the trainer is more excited about the baby than we are!

Don't know what gym you go to in Southampton - but can recommend some good private ones who visit her gym in West End, an hour with them and you wonder what you have been doing with your time there before
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink
  • always_tyred
    linsen wrote:
    Please.....I need bossing about!
    You know, that really does have the potential to take the thread in an unrecognisable direction.
  • always_tyred
    SecretSam wrote:
    What? WHAT?

Actually scratch that, I don't want to know.

Another one for my list of 'reasons never to have children'.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

My OH has had two kids and we have a trampoline at home, which she uses, no problems so far...

Okay, allow me to explain what I believe to be the issue with trampolines :-

412_newteach.gif
  • linsen
    Exactly....

AT - this thread has already gone in an unrecognisable direction - go for it :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'll be sensible and share my experience in relation to the original post.

My teens and 20s have seen me always weigh around 13 - 15stone.

When I finally joined Cannons gym I focused purely on cardio-vascular and working on those lean muscles. I find that I'm strong enough as I am and all I need is to add definition to my already mighty frame and shoulders that globe around my neck to my arms.

I think that everyones gym routine should be subjective to the individual dependant on what they want to do i.e. what muscles they want to get stronger, what physical attribute they want to improve and how they want to look.

Rowing machine, for me, was my favourite. As well as the leg machine (basically bench press for legs) and the running machine.

Another thing I learnt back when I was at uni, which I'm slowly trying to work on, is to have a strong 'core' i.e. stomach and chest and back - as apparantly all strength starts there. Sit-ups, push ups (or an exercise similar that strenghtens this area) should be part of everyone's (who is physically capable) routine - so I was told. I think its true when I cycle for long, its not my legs that feel depleted first its my stomach, chest or back that feels tight.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Martial arts classes? Kickboxing is best. Great exercise and great self defense.

<snip>
    some crap about milfs :wink:

thai boxing is excellent for fitness, balance and power. great for stretching too... I can kick above my head for example and instead of just touching my toes I can place me hands flat on the ground with my legs straight

Very useful life skills I'm sure you'll agree

edit:

for good core work the plank is a good one as are leg raises
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • always_tyred
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I think its true when I cycle for long, its not my legs that feel depleted first its my stomach, chest or back that feels tight.

I think you must be doing something wrong. Which bit are you sitting on?
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:

<snip>
    some crap about milfs :wink:

thai boxing is excellent for fitness, balance and power. great for stretching too... I can kick above my head for example and instead of just touching my toes I can place me hands flat on the ground with my legs straight

Very useful life skills I'm sure you'll agree

edit:

for good core work the plank is a good one as are leg raises

+1. A thai boxing club was also where I started off with the Escrima.

And +1 on the plank - it's doing that that makes me realise I need to do Pilates. :oops:
  • Surf-Matt
    For a proper test of strength and flexibility, try my very own "Chinese" press up.

Wearing my old kickboxing trousers - very tasty! I was briefly 4th in the UK middleweight...

1) Hands into "diamond" shape on the floor, feet against a wall, head in the diamond. This sets up your angles properly.

IMG_0532.jpg

2) Push legs up - this is a start position.

IMG_0533.jpg

3) Push up like this. Repeat if you can. I do 10 as part of my triceps routine. I have plenty more evil exercises if anyone wants them...

IMG_0534.jpg

:twisted:
  • linsen
    good grief is that physically possible? I'm going to try it when I've put the children away....
  • Jen J
    Have you been to the gym yet? :twisted:
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • linsen
    As a matter of fact, miss whiplash, I just got back....

Cycled there (ok, only a mile)
    20 mins rower
    10 mins cross-trainer - I hate that
    15 x 3 lat pulldown (30kg)
    15 x 3 chest press (20kg)
    12 x 3 vertical traction (37.5kg)
    some stretching
    then I had to rush home :?

So there :wink:
  • Jen J
    linsen wrote:
    As a matter of fact, miss whiplash, I just got back....

Cycled there (ok, only a mile)
    20 mins rower
    10 mins cross-trainer - I hate that
    15 x 3 lat pulldown (30kg)
    15 x 3 chest press (20kg)
    12 x 3 vertical traction (37.5kg)
    some stretching
    then I had to rush home :?

So there :wink:

Well done :wink:

And what do you mean 'only a mile'? That's my daily commute :oops:
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • linsen
    Well that's actually the furthest I've been this week - half term and all....

(waits in corner for imminent attack along the lines of "all teachers are slackers" etc etc)
  • Learn to love the cross trainer! Back in 2004, I used to spend upto 60 minutes on this versitile machine, split up into two sessions in my mainly aerobic gym routine.

Mix things up a little, I used to work in 3 minute mini sessions :-
    Forward leg motion, using legs more than arms
    Forward leg motion, using arms more than legs
    Reverse leg motion, using legs more than arms
    Reverse leg motion, using arms more than legs

You can then focus on different goals, such as :-
    Keeping a steady speed eg. 60 rpm at a static resistance (gradually increasing the resistance over a period of weeks)
    Keeping in a heart rate zone
    Set a random resistance program

Out of all the aerobic machines in a typical gym, the cross trainer is the best one to burn up the most calories over an extended period of time ;)

Don't know how you manage 20 minutes on the rower by the way, I was chuffed to still be alive after doing 2000 metres at something like an average of 35 strokes (sprint at 900 and 1900)! :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • linsen
    Hmm I may work on the cross trainer

Thing is, with my commute, if I do it twice a week that's nearly 4 hours at average 150+bpm a week, so I need to focus on resistance at the gym, on the whole...
  • Jen J
    linsen wrote:
    Hmm I may work on the cross trainer

Thing is, with my commute, if I do it twice a week that's nearly 4 hours at average 150+bpm a week, so I need to focus on resistance at the gym, on the whole...

I love the cross-trainer.

I used it for 4 years before I even thought about starting running, and would do up to three hours on it at weekends - either with a book in front of me to study for CIMA exams, or just by the window people watching.

I don't actually class it as exercise now, as I only do a quick session at lunchtimes, but it is a great stress releiver for me, and really breaks up the working day, so I need it as much as I need to run/swim/bike etc.

If you do find it boring, take a magazine, as it's easy to read while you're on it.

But resistance training is very good too :)
    Madone

It's all about me...
  • JMC39
    JMC39 Posts: 38
    Body Pump! Twice and week (combined with a session of spin) and my body is transforming itself.
    FNC 13 - Nobbly MTB, Pannier, Normal clothes, and GPS!
  • Don't think that anyone's recommended this yet (unless it appeared in the weird bit about the advantages of combining trampolining and childbirth that I skimmed over) but what about good old circuit training? I can highly recommend it!

It may or may not be similar to Body Pump - both activities are described as high intensity CV workouts in my useless gym brochure, but I'm not quite sure what the differences are.
  • always_tyred
    Biscuiteer wrote:
    Don't think that anyone's recommended this yet (unless it appeared in the weird bit about the advantages of combining trampolining and childbirth that I skimmed over) but what about good old circuit training? I can highly recommend it!

It may or may not be similar to Body Pump - both activities are described as high intensity CV workouts in my useless gym brochure, but I'm not quite sure what the differences are.

Circuit training is tried and tested. Body pump is far newer and shinier and therefore better.
  • linsen
    I've just booked in for body combat. No idea what it is but if it involves hitting things . people I'll be happy :D
  • Surf-Matt
    Linsen - I have a heavy punch bag suspended off a "Powerbar" pull up bar (can be hung in any doorframe with no damage!) - it's SUCH good exercise and utterly brilliant when someone or something has really got on your nerves :twisted: :lol: