Internal cable routing heinous crime by manufacturers

2»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    PF BB are the work of satan
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • keef66 wrote:
    Electronic shifting is already the default for pro riders, and no doubt as it becomes cheaper it will become more common among enthusiastic amateurs and leisure riders. I don't think mechanical is about to become extinct any time soon though, but it will slowly drift down to the cheaper end of the market.

If you were doing a new build would you go for mechanical Dura Ace or Ultegra Di2?

I'd go Campag mechanical but of those two I'm really not sure.

What is the actual benefit of electric shifting ? Is it actually a meaningful performance advantage ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    edited July 2019
    I see the horrible trend is continuing with the vast majority of new frames being designed with nasty internal cable routing. The largely unnecessary trend has spread across disciplines to mtb and Cx, making even less sense due to commonplace hydraulic brake hoses. However, for the threaded bottom bracket things seem to be levelling out with some manufacturer's re adopting the threaded bb and binning the creaky prone press fit types. From this example there maybe some chance of the external cabling design coming back in the future? This would be for the benefit of most real world cyclists, i hope so....Amen.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I like riding bikes with Internal routing
    I hate building them up. It's a right pain on Some made only passable with routing kits.

It's a love hate thing we have to live with.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    Klien has a press fit BB back I the early nineties that rocked although was not easy to install. Vicki t did a press fit BB back in the 70's. Both these systems worked very well and lasted too die to the enoormus bearings.

Not all press BB are the work of satin. I have a couple of 90's bike with internal brake cable routing. Ty hats acceptable. The derailleur routing on my look 795 is awful. The rear shifting is never quite right and I could not be bothered to recable the front due to the faff involved, so I went 1x.
  • cycleclinic
    Internal cable guides are not the norm and only then for rear brake cable and most bikes la k this. Of doing internal routing the park tool internal routing kit is essential.
  • CptKernow
    CptKernow Posts: 467
    Re-cabling the frame is fairly fiddly, and it is massively annoying when you do the rear mech and find the cable is too short.

However, I have never faced anything that has made me want to kill everything as cabling a set of 3T bars.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I find a decent magnet makes most internal routing a doddle. Re-cabling is made easier by putting a guide sheath over the existing cables before removing them.

That said, whoever laid out the moulds for the inside of the Fuji Norcom Straight TT bike deserves to die in a ditch. Internally routed front brake was hard enough, but putting structural cross braces in the down tube that block the cables is a joke. That necessitated a fibre optic usb camera with a grapple tool attached. These are not items that anyone building a bike should have to buy.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    My Boardman Road Comp had an internal rear brake cable. It was great. My Planet X Maratona also has an internal rear brake cable. It’s a pain.

The difference is the Boardman entered on the rh side and exited on the lh side. The Px enters and leaves on the lh side.
    Stopping the cable slap on the Px eventually resulted in me packing chunks of a foam tube into the top tube.

My latest bike, a Synapse, had a rattling brake hose in the downtube that needed sorting but does have one positive - the rear gear cable is much better protected and has lasted 1 and a half winters without clogging up.

So some winners and some losers.