Saddle rub on one side only

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
Hi all over the past couple of years I've noticed an increase in saddle rub on my perineum left side, almost pinched like skin which on one occasion did develop into a small hole, quickly healing with time off the bike and keeping spotlessly clean. Doest happen all the time but all to frequent now. Ideas on what's happening potential remedy?

Comments

• joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Lots of potential causes: cleats in difference places, leg length difference, muscular imbalance in the legs, potentially even things like arm length difference, brake/shifter location or even a worn or damaged saddle, saddle not straight. Most people aren't symmetric and having a stronger 'side' can end up twisting you on the bike, however, recommending a solution would first have to narrow down the exact cause.
  • CptKernow
    CptKernow Posts: 467
    When I had this it turned out my saddles was about 2cm too high. Now the saddle is lower I hardly ever get rub but it does tend to be on the same side. Slap on a bit of chamois cream and it soon goes.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Assuming it's not a hygiene issue?

Had the same problem, for me it was leg length difference and the shorter leg was trying to reach the pedal, causing sores. Solution was shims and a lower saddle height to fix it.

There is an easy test to see if that's the problem, you can keep raising the saddle on the trainer and you will notice the foot on the shorter side to roll outwards and try to reach the pedal (you will also feel the sit bone loosing contact with the saddle).

Also you could have someone do the leg length test to see by eye if there is a difference then you could lower the saddle by that amount or use shims but it should be done correctly. I would let the sore heal completely then try lowering the saddle for the next ride.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Old saddle that may be sagging on one side?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    saddle too high is generally what I've seen as well as the various imbalances you can get when cleats and other things are misaligned.