Giro 2019: Stage 4: Orbetello - Frascati 235 km, *Spoilers*

13»

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,009
    You're not going to volunteer your team to take a day off, are you?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,323
    It's the tactic of packing the front of the peloton with multiple trains

I don't think it's tactics. Crashes happen...

It is a tactic - noone wants to be caught behind the crash when it happens, which ironically makes the crash more likely.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821

It is a tactic - noone wants to be caught behind the crash when it happens, which ironically makes the crash more likely.

It's been like that since forever.
  • rick_chasey
    I remember Lance basically winning the 1999 Tour on stage 2 when a mass crash took out every favourite bar him.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,689

GC riders didn't used to have trains. Also, not all sprinters had them. If you think back Cavendish at his best, only HTC/Highroad really had a train.

Crashes always happened, but there is an argument that lots of trains cause them.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    wow thats the sort of sprint i like to see really really good. Shame about the other favourites I hope it doesnt ruin the rest of the Giro.

TD i wouldnt be surprised if he wasnt there tomorrow :(
  • Alejandrosdog
    Dumoulin will quit the race: guaranteed.
    I think you might be right and thats a shame.

Children cause mayhem in the pro ranks as well as the amateurs.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,866
    Tom has had xrays and there are no broken bones.

Half of Katusha are going home. Zakarin will be pleased as he escaped the carnage.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,565
    Katusha really are having a stinker of a season...
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,101
    Gweeds wrote:
    All caused by Sivakov looking around in the middle of the peloton.
    Puccio appears to have been the culprit not my man.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,341
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Also, not a kid. One of the older Ineos riders, there to help with a bit of experience.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,954
    edited May 2019

. Not like that. Saw that coming from.mils off. Crashes like the 5k one yesterday were the sort of old school. This crashing at the front thing with GC trains is becoming more prevalent
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

Also, not a kid. One of the older Ineos riders, there to help with a bit of experience.

That's what happens when you send old riders to the giro

probably looking for where his young rider wasn't
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

Half of Katusha are going home. Zakarin will be pleased as he escaped the carnage.

not sure broken bones are going to be the problem, looks like he took a chain ring to the knee :shock:

D6ivDXpXoAIY87Q.jpg
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    They should put chainguards on as chainrings are lethal
  • rick_chasey

. Not like that. Saw that coming from.mils off. Crashes like the 5k one yesterday were the sort of old school. This crashing at the front thing with GC trains is becoming more prevalent

Weren’t we having this debate a decade ago?
  • Alejandrosdog
    They should put chainguards on as chainrings are lethal

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,750
    awavey wrote:

not sure broken bones are going to be the problem, looks like he took a chain ring to the knee :shock:

D6ivDXpXoAIY87Q.jpg

Ah, it makes me nostalgic. I've had a few of those!
  • rick_chasey
    So it turns out, news to me anyway, it was two crashes, with Dumolin hurting himself in the second on a roundabout.

Yates went down in that one too.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Mikel Landa
    "motherfucker Yates, who is a retard and goes like crazy. He threw me in a roundabout"
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Yates said someone ride into him.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    this is the problem sending old/young riders on bikes to bike races then expecting them to race on roads. If they all sat in a big room on Watt bikes or Tacx trainers (other brands are available) everyone would be safe.
  • mididoctors
    I remember Lance basically winning the 1999 Tour on stage 2 when a mass crash took out every favourite bar him.
    I think the fact they decided to run the race over a cobbled causeway covered in seaweed was the issue there.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,962
    I think the fact they decided to run the race over a cobbled causeway covered in seaweed was the issue there.

Passage du Gois?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,866
    Dorset Boy wrote:

Passage du Gois?

Indeed.
    Total carnage.
    Everybody GC wise, bar Lance lost 6 minutes.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,962
    So does the fact I've made it safely across the Passage du Gois mean my bike handling skills are better than those of the 1999 peloton?! :D:D:lol:
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Dorset Boy wrote:

Passage du Gois?

Indeed.
    Total carnage.
    Everybody GC wise, bar Lance lost 6 minutes.

He had the Devil on his side for so long. I remember that stage - Zulle was the big hope and 'total carnage' was a good description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47-JsPfI1v0

0'20 > 0'40
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    So it turns out, news to me anyway, it was two crashes, with Dumolin hurting himself in the second on a roundabout.

Yates went down in that one too.

OK makes sense as I thought I saw Yates in front of the first one and I was trying to work out how he'd lost the front group.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]