Conti GP4000s | 4 Seasons | Gatorskins

124»

Comments

• Imposter wrote:
    Harry-S wrote:
    35 kilo is complete nonsense.
    As for taking 40 kgs for a weekend, even the Mrs doesn't pack that for a fortnights holiday. I've never been daft enough to try, but I doubt it's even possible to carry that amount in a backpack on a bike for anything more than a fairly short distance, on the flat and in a straight line.
    Deranged.

"Make the lie big and keep telling it.." (Goebbels)
    two weeks hiking in the Pyrenees: tent, clothes, sleepingbag, mat, cooker, food, waterfilter, GPS (just the one!), compass, maps, 60lt rucksac etc.. 10kg
  • a weekends worth of stuff in the backpack ( suits, other clothes, shoes, toiletries, spare cycling kit, etc) and all the tools and bits I need for the bike, in a bar bag, and a frame bag. That’s got to be over 40Kgs in total
    You're an idiot.
  • Imposter wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    cld531c wrote:
    What is in this backpack? How big is it? Can you provide pictures as I cant fathom why anyone would need to carry around five and half stones worth of stuff, even on an 'epic' 100 mile ride through towns.

Serial killer of midgets and large children?

Ironically, one of his previous avatars (on strava, I think) was Pennywise. I'm sure that's purely coincidental..
    Water, it must of been water. there is no water available in the South East.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,451
    . I regularly ride up to a hotel in Waterloo, with a weekends worth of stuff in the backpack........

A Gimp suit and full restraint harness can add up to quite a bit. Quality rubberwear is surprisingly heavy :wink:

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Walking with that backpack is possible.

Putting it on your back and cycling a completely different thing. The weight bears down into your back. It's not supported at all. Also that top bit will be hitting your head. And I doubt you'd get a helmet on.

Even my wife doesn't need 35kg of stuff for a week and what state is a suit in of it's been stuffed on a rucksack ?

This is crazy talk.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    It's ruined my thread, but I'm loving it :)

Bottom B - can we get some pictures of you with this set up? Feel free to put a black band across your eyes like in Razzle circa 90's ;)

Dave
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Dave. Well done for dragging this thread back to the original questions. I said my bit on the first page and you already know to ignore BB. Reading back, I’ve just noticed that you mention tread pattern - I seem to remember reading something a while ago where a rep from Continental said that the tread pattern didn’t actually do anything and was just for show. They put it on because people expect to see a pattern!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    iWZ35Nw.jpg

It’s one of these, about 70 ltrs, when full of various stuff, does weigh a fair bit.
    Do you need to carry a spare bike broken down in to parts just in case you get a mechanical. Given your luck with the punctures I guess you might not be too lucky with other stuff.
  • david7m
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Dave. Well done for dragging this thread back to the original questions. I said my bit on the first page and you already know to ignore BB. Reading back, I’ve just noticed that you mention tread pattern - I seem to remember reading something a while ago where a rep from Continental said that the tread pattern didn’t actually do anything and was just for show. They put it on because people expect to see a pattern!

I used to ride motorbikes, and their tyres aren't exactly 'tready', appreciate it's a different beast:)

Been out tonight for second ride and all good - ran slightly lower pressures and felt good.

Dave
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    The big back pack ( which is huge) usually fits enough stuff in it for a weekend stopping somewhere. A 75 mile ride with it full to bursting is about my limit. I I regularly ride up to a hotel in Waterloo, with a weekends worth of stuff in the backpack ( suits, other clothes, shoes, toiletries, spare cycling kit, etc) and all the tools and bits I need for the bike, in a bar bag, and a frame bag. That’s got to be over 40Kgs in total, being lugged up and down some very ‘rural’ roads, particularly in Surrey, so it’s no surprise I need seriously resilient tyres. The bike seems to take it in its stride, the wheels do take a pounding, so I get through a couple of sets a year ( mostly worn out rims ). But I do get a handle on which is the most resilient kit.

More importantly, why didn't you mention this when you started talking about which endurance tyres are apparently 'dreadful'? Most things are dreadful if you misuse them.

You are riding about with an overnight bag and completely over estimating the weight. If not then it is complete madness or tedious trolling.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,451
    HaydenM wrote:

..... completely over estimating the weight. ......

I'd agree. Baggage allowance on International flights is around 23kgs for a suitcase that is checked in. Almost double that?? Really?????

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• PhotoNic69 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

I'd agree. Baggage allowance on International flights is around 23kgs for a suitcase that is checked in. Almost double that?? Really?????
    Why carry 40kg of spares when he could just carry five sparebikes.
  • PhotoNic69 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Why carry 40kg of spares when he could just carry five sparebikes.
    You never know when an angle grinder might come in handy and I would certainly never attempt to cycle through the wilds of Surrey without a fairly heavy duty chainsaw to make sure I don't get stuck.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    40kg.

Bollards. Utter bollards. 20 at the most and even then at the very, very most and you couldn't cycle with it in that bag for reasons as above.

I carry 40kg on my back regularly. It sucks. Like hell on earth would I do it for pleasure on a bicycle.

#myback hurts
    #anychanceofalift?
    #toooldforthisshit
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    40kg.

Bollards. Utter bollards. 20 at the most and even then at the very, very most and you couldn't cycle with it in that bag for reasons as above.

I carry 40kg on my back regularly. It sucks. Like hell on earth would I do it for pleasure on a bicycle.

#myback hurts
    #anychanceofalift?
    #toooldforthisshit

Sherpa are we?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    the "wilds of Surrey" LOLOLOLOL 40KG lolol

Briquettes is hilarious even if his grasp of reality is at best tenuous
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Craigus89 wrote:
    40kg.

#myback hurts
    #anychanceofalift?
    #toooldforthisshit

Sherpa are we?

something along those lines, yes.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    gatrokin clincher = skatorskins. gator skin tubulars = not a bad tyre at all just not quick.

4 seasons were the most unreliable tyre i have ever used.

GP4000sII was decent except it did not fit in the bike i used at the time properly (23mm tyre barely cleared the seat tube) were as a corsa did. I still have that paier on a vitus.

I favour conti tubulars more than there clinchers.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Surprised to hear all the criticism of 4 seasons. I've been using 28s for awhile and only had one puncture from a particularly nasty piece of wire. The ride is perhaps a little numb but they seem to have great grip and rolling resistance. Maybe there's less junk in the roads over here?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Sgt.Pepper wrote:
    Surprised to hear all the criticism of 4 seasons. I've been using 28s for awhile and only had one puncture from a particularly nasty piece of wire. The ride is perhaps a little numb but they seem to have great grip and rolling resistance. Maybe there's less junk in the roads over here?
    Yeah I don't really get the negativity for the GP4S - best winter tyre I've tried as it strikes the right balance between ride, grip and puncture protection.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I went through several Gp4s tyres none lasted more than 1000 miles before bang and fail. One pair were reunited after 20miles and something on the road holes both. Switching to different tyres seemed to move that puncture fairy on till she came back when I tried the schwalbe one tubeless....
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • boxrick
    boxrick Posts: 38
    Not much can compete with the continual glass bottles of Manchester City centre...

However, assuming you can avoid those I have a general good experience with GP4S grippy in wet where id be slipping all over on GP4000S2. Lightweight and roll pretty well.

Oddly my Specialized Roubaix came with a set of these and they have been completely brilliant.

https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category ... -12-44708/
  • I'm also a bit confused with the stream of negativity against 4 seasons. I've been running then for over 2000 miles, mix of rural rides and commuting into Glasgow.

Haven't had a single puncture and haven't noticed much of a difference from gp4000II handling wise. Think I'm going to leave them on year round from now on for the extra puncture protection.
  • david7m
    I've the 4 seasons on winter bike and can't fault them!
    Just fitted 5000gp on the new bike, got velo tomorrow to test them:)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Did Paris-Roubaix sportive on GP4S without a puncture.......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D