Conti GP4000s | 4 Seasons | Gatorskins

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:
    I was averaging about 2 punctures per ride, with the GP4000sII, which was a bit of a pain, on an 11 or 12 hour ride, but I’d let that go, because of the performance and comfort advantages, and the fact they almost fall off the rim, and are really easy to remount. The 4 seasons, however, were never anything but total manure. Not only did they cut up, worse than plasticine, puncture regularly, and not afford particularly good grip or traction, but the side walls were forever developing bulges, and sometimes the carcass did as well. For an ‘endurance’ tyre, they are dreadful. Admittedly I do more extreme mileages, on some very poorly surfaced roads, than most people I know who use them, but that means I have a better idea of how they really perform. They are ( typically) more expensive than some of the ( better ) competition as well.

You're either doing something seriously wrong or talking complete and utter ballocks!

Most likely both. Not to mention that the 'extreme mileages' have also been proven as pure fantasy when he was in his previous incarnation as Milemuncher.

My own experience of both tyres (GP4K and GP4S) is a bit different. No punctures at all during several years use on GP4K, and one puncture (thorn) in 3-4 winters of using GP4S.

Yeah right :lol: I’d love to show you what an idiot you are, by posting the ‘relives’ of my big rides. It’s a bit too much effort to expend on a muppet like you though. I may still do it just to make a massive honking ars* out of you, but it’ll take a while to extract them.

Whatever you say Nick.. :roll:
  • ayjaycee wrote:
    I was averaging about 2 punctures per ride, with the GP4000sII, which was a bit of a pain, on an 11 or 12 hour ride, but I’d let that go, because of the performance and comfort advantages, and the fact they almost fall off the rim, and are really easy to remount. The 4 seasons, however, were never anything but total manure. Not only did they cut up, worse than plasticine, puncture regularly, and not afford particularly good grip or traction, but the side walls were forever developing bulges, and sometimes the carcass did as well. For an ‘endurance’ tyre, they are dreadful. Admittedly I do more extreme mileages, on some very poorly surfaced roads, than most people I know who use them, but that means I have a better idea of how they really perform. They are ( typically) more expensive than some of the ( better ) competition as well.

You're either doing something seriously wrong or talking complete and utter ballocks!

You’re obviously someone who doesn’t ride as much, on the sorts of roads I do, but that’s not unusual.
  • https://www.relive.cc/view/g24822166152

Here’s one of the less extreme rides, where a conti GP 4 seasons tyre let me down. The middle of the tyre bulged, and I had to find a bike shop to get a replacement tyre. That’s a ball ache I could have done without.
  • https://www.relive.cc/view/1815357056

Here’s one ( the squiggly bit in Totton flags it ) where a GP4000sII spectacularly failed, and I had to go to the nearby LBS to get a new tyre, which was very irritating, because I was on a time scale.
  • imposter2.0
    All that shows is an 82/104mi ride, which is hardly 'extreme'. Neither does it (obviously) show any evidence of the tyre failure. Not to mention that there is also no evidence that you (ie milemuncher/bikergrovish/bottom briquettes) is even the same individual as the relive account which you have linked to, given that your name is Nick and the account is named 'Marcus'. Really not sure what you're trying to prove here, or why...:roll:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    https://www.relive.cc/view/g24822166152

Here’s one of the less extreme rides, where a conti GP 4 seasons tyre let me down. The middle of the tyre bulged, and I had to find a bike shop to get a replacement tyre. That’s a ball ache I could have done without.
    On this ride and the following ride you spend a lot of time riding in towns and cities, so where are these minor rough roads you ride that no one else rides. Also it records a heart rate of 165 you have claimed in another thread that on medical advise you never allow yours to go above 140.
  • Imposter wrote:
    All that shows is an 82/104mi ride, which is hardly 'extreme'. Neither does it (obviously) show any evidence of the tyre failure. Not to mention that there is also no evidence that you (ie milemuncher/bikergrovish/bottom briquettes) is even the same individual as the relive account which you have linked to, given that your name is Nick and the account is named 'Marcus'. Really not sure what you're trying to prove here, or why...:roll:

I’m just trying to show you what a tosser you are. Marcus, as in Marcus Aurelius, that’s my name on Strava. It’s a pee take, hence the avatar, extra prizes for guessing who that is, I know, but I doubt you’ll get it.
  • https://www.relive.cc/view/1797084487

Here’s an abandoned 170 miler (due to another failed Continental tyre ) that was irritating.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

I’m just trying to show you what a tosser you are. Marcus, as in Marcus Aurelius, that’s my name on Strava. It’s a pee take, hence the avatar, extra prizes for guessing who that is, I know, but I doubt you’ll get it.

Not sure if that shows anything other than you have lots of different names (only one of which is actually your own) but thanks for the 'clarification', Nick/Marcus/Milemuncher/Bikergroveish/Bottom Briquettes. Let me know if I've missed any... :roll:
  • imposter2.0
    https://www.relive.cc/view/1797084487

Here’s an abandoned 170 miler (due to another failed Continental tyre ) that was irritating.

An 'abandoned' 170 miler :lol:
  • Imposter wrote:
    https://www.relive.cc/view/1797084487

An 'abandoned' 170 miler :lol:

That’s right.

Here’s a ride I did where a conti tyre shredded itself, but I got home, earlier this year.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1625748538
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I see you side stepped the questions again.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    ayjaycee wrote:

You’re obviously someone who doesn’t ride as much, on the sorts of roads I do, but that’s not unusual.
    So I was right with my second option then (ie. you’re talking complete and utter ballocks). I’ve got to say that I didn’t realise that you had such a reputation when I made my original comment. Given your subsequent responses, it would appear to be well justified!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Not sure if that shows anything other than you have lots of different names (only one of which is actually your own) but thanks for the 'clarification', Nick/Marcus/Milemuncher/Bikergroveish/Bottom Briquettes. Let me know if I've missed any... :roll:

Bottom muncher?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Gatorskins but only on the rear and only while I had a wheel-on turbo trainer.

Since then I moved to GP4000s 28mm both front and back. Front has been ridden 2800km so far, Rear 900km. Not a single puncture, not a single cut, despite riding in all weathers.
    Both F and R did spectacularly well over typhoon debris strewn roads here in Hong Kong.

Were I riding narrower tyres on UK winter roads, then I might choose 4seasons but only for the rear, where puncture resistance is more important than for front and grip a little less so.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Why would you keep riding the same tyres if you kept getting punctures?

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."

FWIW I have done approx 10000km on GP4S with two punctures and maybe 6000km on GP4000 with none. Many of the roads I ride on are very poor.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Maybe Continental should adopt the improved quality assurance checks that have transformed chain performance?

:D:):D:lol::D:):D
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    I did 90k on the 4 seasons Saturday.

First impressions - noisier and same rolling as 4000s. Weather had dried out, so couldn't guage cornering but braking did feel improved before it locked up. Placebo effect : D

Dave
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    bobmcstuff wrote:

This!

also, how do you remember all the rides you got punctures on?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    There is one guy in our group who gets regular punctures through the winter. Turns out he rides GP4ks all year round. No issues in summer but come the winter it's every other ride that the groan goes up 'xxxxxx has got another puncture'. I wish he'd get some 4 seasons for winter!
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • My 700x28 GP4000S IIs have done ~1100 miles since mid July up in the South Downs hills, where the roads are average to bad (but a big exception is the upper section of Longwood Dean, butter smooth new tarmac laid over the summer). First "premium" tyre purchase for me, noticeably nicer ride/feel than the 700x28 Grand Sport Races they replaced.

Rear tread has a couple of little nicks, got a slow puncture on my Vittoria latex tube not long after fitting, but back then I was using lower pressures similar to how I ran the Grand Sport Races (heading out with ~85PSI in rear, I later increased to ~95PSI to allow for pressure drop during longer rides) and there had been a rare bit of rain the day before IIRC.

Front still in good condition, no nicks, but I increased the latex tube/tyre pressure just before heading out from ~70 to ~85PSI after a few weeks.

Swapped out the tyres for £20 each, 700x28 Rubino Pro G+ from Merlin last Friday, to see how they do between now and spring. No complaints so far after ~100 miles, even with all the extra storm debris over the weekend.

Never tried GP4 Seasons, hoping these Vittorias mean I don't need to splash out ~£70 for a pair this autumn/winter, but I will grab a 28/32mm set if an excellent deal comes along (nearly bought those ones on Evans, but not sure if they are the older versions).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Yes, i was also surprised how much crap had been flushed out into the gutter!
    Dave
  • Probably munching the tyres through too low tyre pressure, too much weight, not looking where he's going. There is one constant in all of his equations. Operator error.
  • bobmcstuff wrote:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."

FWIW I have done approx 10000km on GP4S with two punctures and maybe 6000km on GP4000 with none. Many of the roads I ride on are very poor.
    Because ( as I’ve repeated ad nauseum ) the performance advantages outweigh the lack of resilience.
  • Bottom briquettes
    Bottom briquettes Posts: 198
    edited September 2018
    Probably munching the tyres through too low tyre pressure, too much weight, not looking where he's going. There is one constant in all of his equations. Operator error.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: and :lol:

Although, that said, I do run my bikes more heavily laden than most people I know. I often ride with a backpack of up to 35 Kgs in weight, and a couple of Kgs of kit in a bar / frame bag (s), which could go some way to explaining the degree of flakeyness I encounter. It doesn’t excuse it though, as I’ve had the same conditions, with other tyres ( Durano plus, and Michelin Pro 4 endurance ) and not had the same issues.
  • Svetty wrote:
    There is one guy in our group who gets regular punctures through the winter. Turns out he rides GP4ks all year round. No issues in summer but come the winter it's every other ride that the groan goes up 'xxxxxx has got another puncture'. I wish he'd get some 4 seasons for winter!

They may not be much better IME.
  • Shortfall wrote:
    Maybe Continental should adopt the improved quality assurance checks that have transformed chain performance?

If they did, the tyres wouldn’t be so flakey, but they’d cost more, so they probably won’t. I’m guessing from your sarcasm, that you’ve not worked in a manufacturing environment, other than to clean the floors.
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

This!

also, how do you remember all the rides you got punctures on?

It’s easy to remember the rides, as with those tyres, it was most of them.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Shortfall wrote:

If they did, the tyres wouldn’t be so flakey, but they’d cost more, so they probably won’t. I’m guessing from your sarcasm, that you’ve not worked in a manufacturing environment, other than to clean the floors.

No I was just being sarcastic because in the discussion in another thread you consistently failed to elaborate on the improved quality assurance checks that you claimed had made crosschaining a non issue. You could just tell us exactly what they are and then I might have to change my mind and agree with you. In the event that you don't, then it just sounds like you're making appeals to authority with nothing of substance to back it up.
  • imposter2.0
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Because ( as I’ve repeated ad nauseum ) the performance advantages outweigh the lack of resilience.

So how are you measuring 'performance advantage' then? Presumably you aren't including 'time spent at the roadside undergoing repairs' which you say happens on 'most' of your rides on Contis..?? So what measure of 'performance' are you using?