I often ride with a backpack of up to 35 Kgs in weight
    :lol::lol::lol:

Full of spare tyres, obviously... :lol:
  • Imposter wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

And the luncboxes of all the riders on the British Cycling event he is leading...

What an endorsement.
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

And the luncboxes of all the riders on the British Cycling event he is leading...

What an endorsement.

Do some people eat bricks and lead weights for lunch?!?
  • Probably munching the tyres through too low tyre pressure, too much weight, not looking where he's going. There is one constant in all of his equations. Operator error.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: and :lol:

I often ride with a backpack of up to 35 Kgs in weight, and a couple of Kgs of kit in a bar / frame bag (s),

The maximum load a Nepali porter carries is 30kg and there's no way you could get on a bike with a load like that. You do post such ballocks it's ridiculous.
  • 35kg in a backpack?

No. Just.... no :mrgreen:
  • Brakeless wrote:
    Probably munching the tyres through too low tyre pressure, too much weight, not looking where he's going. There is one constant in all of his equations. Operator error.

I often ride with a backpack of up to 35 Kgs in weight, and a couple of Kgs of kit in a bar / frame bag (s),

The maximum load a Nepali porter carries is 30kg and there's no way you could get on a bike with a load like that. You do post such ballocks it's ridiculous.
    Are you suggesting milemucker is prone to exaggeration?
  • Imposter wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Why would you keep riding the same tyres if you kept getting punctures?

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."

FWIW I have done approx 10000km on GP4S with two punctures and maybe 6000km on GP4000 with none. Many of the roads I ride on are very poor.
    Because ( as I’ve repeated ad nauseum ) the performance advantages outweigh the lack of resilience.

So how are you measuring 'performance advantage' then? Presumably you aren't including 'time spent at the roadside undergoing repairs' which you say happens on 'most' of your rides on Contis..?? So what measure of 'performance' are you using?

Comfort, and not having too many ‘eeeek’ moments as grip suddenly subsides, without much warning, and traction on slippery climbs, are my two bench marks, as far as ‘performance’ go. The Contis are very good, on that score. I assume I am generally using them way above their design limits, in terms of durability though, hence the issues with reliability. But, if I get a failure, and it’s salvageable, I can put up with them, it’s just the cost of having to keep replacing expensive tyres, that are shagged out, after 600 Kms that drives me to use other tyres.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I carried about 25kg when I walked the Pennine Way as a teenager. Some days a bit more if the tent was particularly waterlogged. There's no way in the world I'd ride a bike carrying that load even if it was well distributed if front and rear panniers. The 35kg backpack claim sounds a little far-fetched to me. That's the kind of weight the Marines are carrying by the time they complete basic training, but I'm fairly sure they don't do any of it on bikes....

I'm not surprised you're wearing out lightweight race tyres in under 500 miles.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Is this another Bungle type wind up thread?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Shortfall wrote:
    Is this another Bungle type wind up thread?

Probably. It's either habitual exaggeration or a deliberate wind-up.

It's more concerning when he wades in to a post and dispenses advice which is either wrong, or potentially dangerous.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    it’s just the cost of having to keep replacing expensive tyres, that are shagged out, after 600 Kms that drives me to use other tyres.

Nobody - but nobody - wears out a tyre in 600km. That is just utter horsesh1t, as is your comment about the 35kg backpack. It's not even particularly good trolling...
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Brakeless wrote:
    Probably munching the tyres through too low tyre pressure, too much weight, not looking where he's going. There is one constant in all of his equations. Operator error.

Having first hand experience of Nepali porters I can say with certainty that they can and do carry a lot more than this......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    I thought this thread was about tyres...………no?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Svetty wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

Having first hand experience of Nepali porters I can say with certainty that they can and do carry a lot more than this......

I've been on two climbing trips to Nepal and on both we had to weigh all the porter loads and keep them under 30kg. On the trails we saw ridiculous loads being carried but they weren't by porters on 'commercial' trekking and climbing trips.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    What is in this backpack? How big is it? Can you provide pictures as I cant fathom why anyone would need to carry around five and half stones worth of stuff, even on an 'epic' 100 mile ride through towns.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Brakeless wrote:
    The maximum load a Nepali porter carries is 30kg....
    Brakeless wrote:
    On the trails we saw ridiculous loads being carried....

:D:wink:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    cld531c wrote:
    What is in this backpack? How big is it? Can you provide pictures as I cant fathom why anyone would need to carry around five and half stones worth of stuff, even on an 'epic' 100 mile ride through towns.

Serial killer of midgets and large children?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• imposter2.0
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    cld531c wrote:

Ironically, one of his previous avatars (on strava, I think) was Pennywise. I'm sure that's purely coincidental..
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    ...I’ve repeated ad nauseum...

What a surprise.
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

What an endorsement.

Many a true word spoken in jest.
  • Imposter wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

I do carry a spare folding bead tyre.
  • cld531c
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    cld531c wrote:

Could be...must be some mighty backpack as my dog and the trailer combined dont even weigh that. Should BC be informed???
  • Joe Totale wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

What an endorsement.

The big back pack ( which is huge) usually fits enough stuff in it for a weekend stopping somewhere. A 75 mile ride with it full to bursting is about my limit. I I regularly ride up to a hotel in Waterloo, with a weekends worth of stuff in the backpack ( suits, other clothes, shoes, toiletries, spare cycling kit, etc) and all the tools and bits I need for the bike, in a bar bag, and a frame bag. That’s got to be over 40Kgs in total, being lugged up and down some very ‘rural’ roads, particularly in Surrey, so it’s no surprise I need seriously resilient tyres. The bike seems to take it in its stride, the wheels do take a pounding, so I get through a couple of sets a year ( mostly worn out rims ). But I do get a handle on which is the most resilient kit.
  • cld531c
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

What an endorsement.

The big back pack ( which is huge) usually fits enough stuff in it for a weekend stopping somewhere. A 75 mile ride with it full to bursting is about my limit. I I regularly ride up to a hotel in Waterloo, with a weekends worth of stuff in the backpack ( suits, other clothes, shoes, toiletries, spare cycling kit, etc) and all the tools and bits I need for the bike, in a bar bag, and a frame bag. That’s got to be over 40Kgs in total, being lugged up and down some very ‘rural’ roads, particularly in Surrey, so it’s no surprise I need seriously resilient tyres. The bike seems to take it in its stride, the wheels do take a pounding, so I get through a couple of sets a year ( mostly worn out rims ). But I do get a handle on which is the most resilient kit.

Ive got some wheels that are 15 years old and still going strong. If yours only last 6 months then I suspect they are not the most resilient (and that is taking into account your huge backpack, enormous mileage and super duper human strength before you start)....
  • Bottom briquettes
    Bottom briquettes Posts: 198
    edited September 2018
    iWZ35Nw.jpg

It’s one of these, about 70 ltrs, when full of various stuff, does weigh a fair bit.
  • cld531c wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    TimothyW wrote:

What an endorsement.

Ive got some wheels that are 15 years old and still going strong. If yours only last 6 months then I suspect they are not the most resilient (and that is taking into account your huge backpack, enormous mileage and super duper human strength before you start)....

I don’t want to be spending loads on handbuilt wheels, so ‘off the shelf’ numbers ( like Mavic Aksiums ) for example, don’t last all that long, given the hammering they get. If your wheels are lasting “fifteen years” I doubt your using them for anything but high days and holidays, not much in poor conditions.
  • harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    35 kilo is complete nonsense.
    As for taking 40 kgs for a weekend, even the Mrs doesn't pack that for a fortnights holiday. I've never been daft enough to try, but I doubt it's even possible to carry that amount in a backpack on a bike for anything more than a fairly short distance, on the flat and in a straight line.
    Deranged.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    There was a bloke I used to see round East Yorkshire who seemed to ride with a rucksack like you describe. However he needed to carry his house with him, which was a cardboard box, he would resort to the glue bag to get up any hills.
    Is this you.
  • imposter2.0
    Harry-S wrote:
    35 kilo is complete nonsense.
    As for taking 40 kgs for a weekend, even the Mrs doesn't pack that for a fortnights holiday. I've never been daft enough to try, but I doubt it's even possible to carry that amount in a backpack on a bike for anything more than a fairly short distance, on the flat and in a straight line.
    Deranged.

"Make the lie big and keep telling it.." (Goebbels)