Wheels from Chainreactioncycles “missing in action”

josehernandez
josehernandez Posts: 243
edited February 2019 in Road general
When filling in the online order form at the checkout for a recent purchase on CRC the postcode finder box chose the wrong address. The house number and postcode were correct but the street name was wrong. I noticed this at the time but thought it wouldn’t be an issue as I have had this occur a few times in the past at checkout with online orders but the items have always arrived safely. I believed as long as the postcode was correct the item would be delivered to the correct address however it seems that on this occasion the item has been sent according to the street name and not the postcode.
The courier appears to have ignored name and postcode and delivered to the street address using a “no signature required” service. It’s worth noting the address the courier apparently delivered to has a different postcode to what was on the delivery instructions.

After noticing online that the parcel had been delivered I went to the address which is around 50metres from my address to ask if they had received my parcel to which the middle aged lady advised they had attempted to and she had refused delivery.

Over the space of two days I ordered three separate items - one large value item and two smaller value items using exactly the same delivery information. The two smaller value items arrived via Royal Mail safely but the wheels - via a well known courier have still not appeared.
CRC suggested I check they hadn’t been left with a neighbour or a safe place which I have. They have opened an investigation and said they will be in touch within 5 days.

I would be Interested to hear others thoughts on the situation?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How do you think the courier would know the name of the person living there ? Clearly he's going to go with the address.

It's up to you to make sure the delivery address is correct surely ?
  • Tyresome
    Tyresome Posts: 113
    It’s your bad I’m afraid. CRC are quite good at sorting delivery issues out in my experience though. Give them time to try and sort it, but if it does go tits up, I fear you won’t have a leg to stand on in this case.
  • I should have made clear I tried to change the address to my street but the software would only allow the alternative address.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    That's annoying. I know a lot of sites allow you the choice of auto fill from the post code or entering your address in full.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    When filling in the online order form at the checkout for a recent purchase on CRC the postcode finder box chose the wrong address. The house number and postcode were correct but the street name was wrong. I noticed this at the time but thought it wouldn’t be an issue as I have had this occur a few times in the past at checkout with online orders but the items have always arrived safely. I believed as long as the postcode was correct the item would be delivered to the correct address however it seems that on this occasion the item has been sent according to the street name and not the postcode.
    The courier appears to have ignored name and postcode and delivered to the street address using a “no signature required” service. It’s worth noting the address the courier apparently delivered to has a different postcode to what was on the delivery instructions.

After noticing online that the parcel had been delivered I went to the address which is around 50metres from my address to ask if they had received my parcel to which the middle aged lady advised they had attempted to and she had refused delivery.

Over the space of two days I ordered three separate items - one large value item and two smaller value items using exactly the same delivery information. The two smaller value items arrived via Royal Mail safely but the wheels - via a well known courier have still not appeared.
    CRC suggested I check they hadn’t been left with a neighbour or a safe place which I have. They have opened an investigation and said they will be in touch within 5 days.

I would be Interested to hear others thoughts on the situation?

Woeful My Hermes by any chance?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:

Nope, starts with a “Y” and ends with an “L”.
  • Apparently if you go into a shop and purchase an item this problem can be avoided.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Do PayPal have the correct address for you? If so, pay through them and the address printed will be the verified address with PayPal.
  • redvision wrote:
    Do PayPal have the correct address for you? If so, pay through them and the address printed will be the verified address with PayPal.
    Paypal occassionally throws out the wrong address for me despite having a preferred address.

Because of this I always check for the correct address and amend if necessary but I'd never agree to a seller sending an item to what I know to be an incorrect address as the OP has done. I've cancelled orders where I couldn't amend a wrong address as the onus is on the customer to ensure it is correct.
  • That's quite annoying. Open to lots of speculation and many parties to blame.

Probably not going to resolve the pending delivery issue, but have you checked on royal mail website for address check? Perhaps you may have done already, you can check how your post code throws out address options via their address check link. And if it's not accurate or part of address missing, I think you can contact them to get it amended on the system (likely to involve a proof of address to be either sent to RM HQ or to local post office). It is likely that RM's address system is used on many online shopping automated address finder.

Other than that, I'd probably go extra mile and inform by email / phone to online retailer and ask them to manually change the address before dispatch. Annoying, yes but I prefer to have my items delivered even by poor logistics company such as the ones already mentioned and many more.

Good luck.
  • Here you go:

Postcode Finder – Find an Address
    https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode

There's an option to contact RM if the your address doesn't show up or incorrect.

Ordering something and putting the incorrect address isn't 'many parties to blame'.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

Ordering something and putting the incorrect address isn't 'many parties to blame'.

Thanks for that SS. Just to make things clear I did not input the incorrect address - CRC’s algorithm did. All address details were correct apart from the streetname which was determined by CRC’s postcode box.
    The judgementality of some is depressing. I have been buying all sorts of items online since the advent of the internet and have somehow managed to have everything sent to the correct address so I would say I am pretty familiar with buying online.
  • josehernandez
    josehernandez Posts: 243
    edited January 2019
    Here you go:

Postcode Finder – Find an Address
    https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode

There's an option to contact RM if the your address doesn't show up or incorrect.

Yup thanks, did that. It is a problem with CRC’s order form as RM postcode checker is 100% correct.
    Out of interest I typed in the street address that my parcel was wrongly sent to and as expected it is a completely different postcode to mine. As I made clear in my first post and a number of you seem to have missed is that I ordered three items using the same details, two were delivered successfully.

I fully expected a load of you to instantly judge and convict me on this as I know what internet forums are like when people highlight these kind of issues. I only posted in the hope that it alerts fellow cyclists to the possibility of this happening to them.
    That said, I’m actually quite optimistic about this getting sorted for a number of reasons:
    1.Two items WERE delivered successfully using identical form and info.
    2.Yodel delivered to the WRONG postcode.
    3.CRC did not request a signature.
    4.Paid by Mastercard

Anyway.......the saga continues.
  • You asked for others' thoughts, just because their view may be different and you may not like what they think doesn't mean they're being judgemental. Maybe you were hoping for people to validate only your view of it not being your mistake and for us all to blame the courier but it was your mistake for agreeing to have a parcel sent to what you knew was an incorrect address.

Yodel delivered to the address you agreed it be sent to, for all they could know you gave them the wrong postcode. Ultimately they received the incorrect address that you agreed to and did their best with bad information. As bad as some find Yodel to be they're not first in line for blame on this one.

By your own admission you knew the address was wrong and as you say you couldn't amend it then you should have canceled the order. You were gambling on it getting to you as has happened before but, unfortunately, on this ocassion the gamble hasn't paid off.

I do hope you get it sorted as it's not nice having parcels floating somewhere in the ether.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,215
    As a former Yodel courier I can assure you that I would have used the delivery address for sorting, scheduling loading and finally delivering a parcel. Postcodes are only used by a courier, on a new route that he or she is not familiar with, to schedule the stops and put them in order. Once the courier becomes familiar with the new route (a matter of 3-4 weeks) everything is done by the delivery address.
    If, as you say the parcel was refused at the wrong address, then Yodel will have an audit trail on the item using the Unique Parcel Identifier (UPI). The UPI should also be held by CRC and between them they ought to be able to trace your item.
  • Manglier wrote:
    As a former Yodel courier I can assure you that I would have used the delivery address for sorting, scheduling loading and finally delivering a parcel. Postcodes are only used by a courier, on a new route that he or she is not familiar with, to schedule the stops and put them in order. Once the courier becomes familiar with the new route (a matter of 3-4 weeks) everything is done by the delivery address.
    If, as you say the parcel was refused at the wrong address, then Yodel will have an audit trail on the item using the Unique Parcel Identifier (UPI). The UPI should also be held by CRC and between them they ought to be able to trace your item.

Thanks for the info Manglier, makes me a bit more optimistic.
  • Received confirmation that the wheels have been returned to CRC........Relief is not the word!
    CRC and Yodel have dealt with the situation very well. Hope this saga serves as a cautionary tale for all.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Yes thanks to this I will now remember to use my house number, the correct street and post code.
    I would never have thought I needed to do that.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Webboo wrote:
    Yes thanks to this I will now remember to use my house number, the correct street and post code.

Just checked the two orders I placed yesterday. Fortunately, I did indeed give them my own address, rather than someone else's. Phew...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    is this thread for real? as far as I can see, OP ordered some bits to be sent to another address which they were then he complained about them being delivered to the address he asked for them to be delivered to, not another one he didn't ask them to be delivered to.

or are we missing something?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Webboo wrote:

He he :lol:
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    To be fair to the guy I have a similar recurring situation with Just Eat... They have decided my address is on "Birchdale" rather than "Birch" avenue and resist all attempts to correct it.

No matter how many times I write in the delivery instructions to explain I still get calls from confused drivers.

Of course it helps that Birchdale Avenue doesn't actually exist so there is nowhere for them to deliver to by accident. And Just Eat orders are slightly lower value than bike wheels... But still, it can happen.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    is this thread for real? as far as I can see, OP ordered some bits to be sent to another address which they were then he complained about them being delivered to the address he asked for them to be delivered to, not another one he didn't ask them to be delivered to.

or are we missing something?

I think Bungle wrote the script for this.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    To be fair to the guy I have a similar recurring situation with Just Eat... They have decided my address is on "Birchdale" rather than "Birch" avenue and resist all attempts to correct it.

No matter how many times I write in the delivery instructions to explain I still get calls from confused drivers.

Of course it helps that Birchdale Avenue doesn't actually exist so there is nowhere for them to deliver to by accident. And Just Eat orders are slightly lower value than bike wheels... But still, it can happen.

What did you order, mate?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I'm glad CRC addressed the problem so quickly for you!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,961
    philthy3 wrote:

Nope, starts with a “Y” and ends with an “L”.
    Oh, that'll be the company that left a delivery of £250 wheels on my doorstep in full view of the road (because my doorstep is literally on the road) all day. Complaint made to the company that begins with a W and ends with an E.