Continental GP 5000 - also available in tubeless

Comments

• I feel like the godfather of IRC in this country...

https://whosatthewheel.com/2015/05/19/f ... ess-tyres/
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    There is no IRC tubeless "wet" tyre. That applies to a name is part of the aspite tubed tyre range.

Yes ugo you were the person who put me onto IRC in the first place or I would have given up on tubeless tyres at the time.

Rhe X guard and RBCC tyres have the same compund and casing with the exception the X guard tyre has the puncture prtoection belt which make that tyre heavier, higher rolling resistance a bit less grip and a bit less comfortable (if you can notice). Puncture protection belts are always made low TPI fibres so that what they all do to a tyre.

Its probably why most tubeless tyre manufacturers leave it out. Go over to weight wenies and everyone complains how heavy tubeless tyre are. And this complaint is being made about the new conti tyre. Its so heavy.....
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    44893205165_6fa1dc1a6a_b.jpg

They’re blacker than 4000s, somehow. Can’t wait to give the tubeless a go.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    When are they available?
  • cycleclinic
    I have been told clincher on monday and tubeless the week after.
  • angry_bird
    Got these earlier. Think I'll take them for a quick spin

46076819271_ba39394325_b.jpg

Went up nice and easy with a track pump, not much fuss at all.
  • cycleclinic
    I got done today but promptly posted them abroad. I want to try them. Let us know what they are like.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Got these earlier. Think I'll take them for a quick spin

46076819271_ba39394325_b.jpg

Went up nice and easy with a track pump, not much fuss at all.

How do they measure up size wise Angry bird ? Thanks
  • angry_bird
    25mm is bang on, 4000S on the same wheel were wider.
  • lincolndave
    Angry Bird wrote:
    25mm is bang on, 4000S on the same wheel were wider.

That’s good news
    Thanks again
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    seeing the online video reviews, they seem to be slightly smaller than 4000s across the board and seemingly faster. better aero, RR, puncture resistance, just need to be cheaper!
  • I saw Jesus at the gym today.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I saw Jesus at the gym today.
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • angry_bird
    First puncture today, 9mm cut right across it. Sealed up on the ride after the tyre had jizzed all over my face and the bike. Still holding air now it’s back home. Happy days.
  • They just showed up for pre-order on Wiggle. If you've got Platinum then the 20% boost on right now brings the TLs in at £52.79 ea. My guess is that's the best price we'll see til after Christmas. Price on tubed version can still be beat by other retailers though.

Very nearly bought a pair with a big order yesterday but decided I was spending too much already in the end. Figured if I spend another winter on my GP4seasons then I'll be extra grateful for the switch in the spring!

EDIT: T&Cs say discount applies to in-stock products only. Appears to work on these tyres right up til putting them in your basket, but I didn't actually make the purchase so can't comment on how the transaction would actually go through.
    Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
    2020 Ribble CGR SL
    2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    From the tubeless thread £46 from Germany
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/con ... gK3dvD_BwE
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    TimothyW wrote:
    From the tubeless thread £46 from Germany
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/con ... gK3dvD_BwE

Get them in before 30th March!
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    merlin or someone were doing the standard ones at around £43 earlier this week.

for retail, Destination bike (top of box hill) are £49 ish.
  • lincolndave
    Hi angry bird, how are you getting on with the 5000,s, have you clocked up many miles on them yet ?
    I am thinking on getting a pair to replace the one pro,s
    Thanks for any replies on the 5000,s
  • angry_bird
    Hi angry bird, how are you getting on with the 5000,s, have you clocked up many miles on them yet ?
    I am thinking on getting a pair to replace the one pro,s
    Thanks for any replies on the 5000,s

Getting on well so far, I’ve been riding a few pairs, one pair punctured after a couple of rides which is purely bad luck something properly sharp cut it but it repaired easily enough on the road, has since been plugged and is riding fine. Something that can happen to any tyre and not the worst I’ve managed before. The pair I’ve used in the most part are past the 2000km mark now and going fine, not had any issues with them at all.

If you’re coming from a good tyre, to the 5000 there will be a subtle change. During the month prior to moving onto the TLs I’d been riding some 4000S with latex tubes in a pair of Edco Roches. I’ve since been riding the 5000TLs mostly on a pair of Roches too and have done a couple of clincher rides in the mix just to see if I can feel a difference... unfortunately I’ve also moved onto a new bike (which is a f*** load stiffer than the one I’d previously been riding) but have done a few rides with the old wheels and tyres for a bit of control.

A lot of the time you’d be hard pressed to notice much in terms of ride quality, which is the comments that others I’m riding with and have racked up big miles on them say. If you’re moving from a good tyre/tube combination to another good tyre it’s going to be a subtle change. There are bits of road I’ve ridden hundreds of times however, which now do seem noticeably less rough, or a little less draggy- is it in my head? I don’t think so, I’ll be riding along engrossed in my own thoughts, then suddenly realise something feels different on this bit of road to normal.

I’m much more confident cornering on the TLs than I am on 4000s now, particularly in the wet. I used to be a bit nervy whenever I rode a new tyre, preferring to put some miles on the rubber it before I really throw it around. The 5000TL I found myself on my first ride with them out in the wet really going for it, as you get over in the corners the grip is great, out of the box they’re fantastic from the first mile.

They’re wearing ok, wear indicator divots are still present, the rear unsurprisingly more worn than the front but expect they’ll last a while. Have been having great fun smashing them into potholes and generally not worrying about pinching them, thorny lanes, the odd bridle way or stuff like that though. My weight has been bouncing around 65-67kg through this period, heavier riders might expect quicker wear. I don’t know. I can’t remember how quickly I wear through clinchers/how frequently I was having to get new pairs, got too many wheels/tyres I’ve been running to keep track properly.

Regardless, when it comes to replacing these 5000s, I’ll be sticking with tubeless.
  • lincolndave
    Thanks Angry bird, I run the one pro tubeless in the summer time and either irc road lights or x guards in the winter months ( both tubeless) I am looking for a pair of tyres to replace the one pros ( summer use) so when wiggle have a pair in stock I will be ordering them, thanks again for the informative write up
    Dave
  • Another for Angry Bird and/or others running the TL: are they still measuring true to size now they've bedded in?

I'm running a set of GP 4 Seasons which I was going to replace with 5000TL come spring. If the TL setup is robust enough I might just run them year round and skip returning to the 4 Seasons next winter.

I'm wary about sizing though - my 28c 4 seasons on a pair of 19mm internal width Kinlin XR22 rims currently measure 31mm at 80psi. They're kind of massive and I'd like to get down to a true 28mm width with the 5000TL. Can't work out whether that means I'm after a 25c or a 28c tyre. Any thoughts appreciated.
    Cheers!
    2020 Ribble CGR SL
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    75 Euro?
    Good thing I moved away from tubeless

Ugo, why have you moved from tubeless, I thought you where really keen on them?
  • angry_bird
    Still seem to be 25mm
  • cycleclinic
    edited January 2019
    I should have 25's, 28's and hopefully 32mm TL tyres turning up tomorrow.

More miles on the 25 and angry bird is mostly correct. They are low drag tyres. The wear rate does not seem to bad. The wet grip is fairly good but there are better tyres too. I find my self being a bit more cautious in the bends on these than say on the Mavic Yskion UST and IRC formula pro tyres. Overall though they are pretty good. The only marks on them are big ones. No little nicks.

My 25mm tyres on 20mm internal with rims are 26mm wide. I do have 20kg on angry bird though and the bike they are on is heavy. Probably only 1000km do far.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    alexfthe wrote:
    Another for Angry Bird and/or others running the TL: are they still measuring true to size now they've bedded in?

I'm wary about sizing though!

Every set of GP4000 i've ever had, in 23, 25 or 28 have always always come up large, I would assume COonti's sizing tolerances haven't changed tbh.

It's not just Conti though. In the last year, i've run Pananracer Gravelking 32's that came up 30mm and Spesh Roubaix Pro 32's that come up 34.8mm on the very same rims. The latter are a pain, barely gives me any clearance under my mudgaurds.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Peat wrote:
    alexfthe wrote:
    Another for Angry Bird and/or others running the TL: are they still measuring true to size now they've bedded in?

I'm wary about sizing though!

Every set of GP4000 i've ever had, in 23, 25 or 28 have always always come up large, I would assume COonti's sizing tolerances haven't changed tbh.

It's not just Conti though. In the last year, i've run Pananracer Gravelking 32's that came up 30mm and Spesh Roubaix Pro 32's that come up 34.8mm on the very same rims. The latter are a pain, barely gives me any clearance under my mudgaurds.

Its not consistent across Conti though - my 25mm GP4000S is almost as big as my 28mm GP4Seasons - there is maybe 1mm in it at most.
  • cycleclinic
    I have said how big they are on my commutor wheels. These conti are true to size. They have learnt.
  • voicycle
    voicycle Posts: 95
    Adding to the mix, I've got a first report to share on these now. Also a question about patching a sidewall cut which is too big for a worm. If the second half of this needs to go in a new thread just say and I'll make an edit and a separate post.

Answer to my earlier question about sizing is consistent with Malcolm's input. I ordered 28c TLs and they run 28mm on a 19mm internal rim (compared to my 28c GP4Seasons which measured 31mm and my 25c 4000Siis which measure 28mm).

I was running 80/85psi in the 4Seasons and have never ridden tubeless before so I started these TLs at 70/75psi. They were unbelievably supple which was great on the rough stuff, but actually felt a bit bouncy/spongy when I tried to put the power down. I'm much happier running at 75/80psi, but maybe this means I'm attached to the ride feel of tubed tyres and trying to replicate it? 70kg rider on a 9.5kg bike with assumed 5kg of clothing/water/food/spares/tools for ~85kg total load.

In the dry the tyres feel like a very slightly better version of the 4000Sii. In the wet I'd say the 5000s are definitely more confidence-inspiring. Very fast rubber!

That said, I did put the back tyre into a slide going too fast round an unfamiliar sharp bend in the wet and almost came off the bike but I think that would have happened regardless of my rubber choice. I've since noticed a section of several lateral score marks on that tyre which I suspect are from that slide. Not gone through to the carcass though. One is deep enough that I might put some vulcanising cement on it if I remember to do so.

On their third outing and in mile 119 of total use I got a game-over sidewall cut in the front tyre. It was pissing with rain and I was doing about 30mph near the end of the last significant descent of the ride. Using the large size Maxalami worm out of the kit I ordered from Malcolm I managed to plug the hole and reinflate the tyre to a rideable pressure, but about 500 yards down the road it shot out the side of the tyre and I was stuck in the rain again. I had a tube and boot (and patch kit) with me, but it was wet wet wet and my SO was already waiting for me with the car at a cafe 10 minutes drive away, so I just phoned for rescue.
    Got back to digs (we were on holiday) and I unseated the tyre, cleaned the inside of it around the cut, and glued a tube patch on. Ribbed texture inside the tyre made it a bit difficult but totally doable in a clean and careful environment. Held air no problem but the cut had gone through 2-3 threads in the sidewall and was inflating with a bulge. I thought I was going to have to bin the (nearly new) tyre.
    The drive home from holiday gave me time to think, so I've now ripped off the tube patch and glued on a fabric reinforced (blue-edged) rema tip top patch (from a TT-05 kit) which I think is meant to serve as a patch and boot in one. Will let it cure overnight and re-mount tomorrow but I'm pretty sure I should be back in business.
    Cut photo should be visible to everyone here I think: https://www.strava.com/activities/2412076872

Now some questions:

- That was the only blue-edge patch I had - if I want to order some more are they these? Different shape but seem to be the same product overall I think. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rema-Tip-Top ... j9vv2KyjXA

- Is that even the best way to deal with a cut like this? (Obviously if rescue was less convenient or conditions were more pleasant I could have booted and tubed in order to get home, but I mean other than that.)

- Does that cut seem like a fluke or something I should expect again? I once lost a gatorskin with less than 50 miles on it in a similar way, but by contrast I think the GP4Seasons that these 5000s replaced have covered about 2500 miles without a single puncture (and I've got some 4000s with over 1000 miles and only a single puncture). My assumption is I've just had bad luck, but if this is the new normal then I'll go back to 4Seasons. Or pony up for those IRCs?

- Could that cut be linked to my tyre pressures? At the same time I mounted the 5000s I also put some 30c G One Speeds on my old wheels so I could use this winter/rain bike for light offroad use as well, and in 102 miles of mixed tarmac and forestry track I've managed a sidewall puncture on each of those tyres. Both sealed up nicely with a small worm and no further fuss, but after being puncture-free for so long prior to this trip and then having 3 flats in as many days, all on my first couple of tubeless setups, I'm now doubting myself.
    2020 Ribble CGR SL
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    alexfthe wrote:
    Adding to the mix, I've got a first report to share on these now. Also a question about patching a sidewall cut which is too big for a worm. If the second half of this needs to go in a new thread just say and I'll make an edit and a separate post.

Answer to my earlier question about sizing is consistent with Malcolm's input. I ordered 28c TLs and they run 28mm on a 19mm internal rim (compared to my 28c GP4Seasons which measured 31mm and my 25c 4000Siis which measure 28mm).

I was running 80/85psi in the 4Seasons and have never ridden tubeless before so I started these TLs at 70/75psi. They were unbelievably supple which was great on the rough stuff, but actually felt a bit bouncy/spongy when I tried to put the power down. I'm much happier running at 75/80psi, but maybe this means I'm attached to the ride feel of tubed tyres and trying to replicate it? 70kg rider on a 9.5kg bike with assumed 5kg of clothing/water/food/spares/tools for ~85kg total load.

In the dry the tyres feel like a very slightly better version of the 4000Sii. In the wet I'd say the 5000s are definitely more confidence-inspiring. Very fast rubber!

That said, I did put the back tyre into a slide going too fast round an unfamiliar sharp bend in the wet and almost came off the bike but I think that would have happened regardless of my rubber choice. I've since noticed a section of several lateral score marks on that tyre which I suspect are from that slide. Not gone through to the carcass though. One is deep enough that I might put some vulcanising cement on it if I remember to do so.

On their third outing and in mile 119 of total use I got a game-over sidewall cut in the front tyre. It was pissing with rain and I was doing about 30mph near the end of the last significant descent of the ride. Using the large size Maxalami worm out of the kit I ordered from Malcolm I managed to plug the hole and reinflate the tyre to a rideable pressure, but about 500 yards down the road it shot out the side of the tyre and I was stuck in the rain again. I had a tube and boot (and patch kit) with me, but it was wet wet wet and my SO was already waiting for me with the car at a cafe 10 minutes drive away, so I just phoned for rescue.
    Got back to digs (we were on holiday) and I unseated the tyre, cleaned the inside of it around the cut, and glued a tube patch on. Ribbed texture inside the tyre made it a bit difficult but totally doable in a clean and careful environment. Held air no problem but the cut had gone through 2-3 threads in the sidewall and was inflating with a bulge. I thought I was going to have to bin the (nearly new) tyre.
    The drive home from holiday gave me time to think, so I've now ripped off the tube patch and glued on a fabric reinforced (blue-edged) rema tip top patch (from a TT-05 kit) which I think is meant to serve as a patch and boot in one. Will let it cure overnight and re-mount tomorrow but I'm pretty sure I should be back in business.
    Cut photo should be visible to everyone here I think: https://www.strava.com/activities/2412076872

Now some questions:

- That was the only blue-edge patch I had - if I want to order some more are they these? Different shape but seem to be the same product overall I think. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rema-Tip-Top ... j9vv2KyjXA

- Is that even the best way to deal with a cut like this? (Obviously if rescue was less convenient or conditions were more pleasant I could have booted and tubed in order to get home, but I mean other than that.)

- Does that cut seem like a fluke or something I should expect again? I once lost a gatorskin with less than 50 miles on it in a similar way, but by contrast I think the GP4Seasons that these 5000s replaced have covered about 2500 miles without a single puncture (and I've got some 4000s with over 1000 miles and only a single puncture). My assumption is I've just had bad luck, but if this is the new normal then I'll go back to 4Seasons. Or pony up for those IRCs?

- Could that cut be linked to my tyre pressures? At the same time I mounted the 5000s I also put some 30c G One Speeds on my old wheels so I could use this winter/rain bike for light offroad use as well, and in 102 miles of mixed tarmac and forestry track I've managed a sidewall puncture on each of those tyres. Both sealed up nicely with a small worm and no further fuss, but after being puncture-free for so long prior to this trip and then having 3 flats in as many days, all on my first couple of tubeless setups, I'm now doubting myself.

Good questions, my experience is if youre going to get a sidewall slash it can happen anytime and the age of the tyre is immaterial.

i think tubeless is a bad idea on the road but id like to try the GP5000s but only if 25mm is 25mm, theres no clearance on my bike at the back for 4000s2 25