Continental GP 5000 - also available in tubeless

13»

Comments

• voicycle
    voicycle Posts: 95
    id like to try the GP5000s but only if 25mm is 25mm, theres no clearance on my bike at the back for 4000s2 25

They're true to size - both the tubeless and the tubed model.

I put 25c GP4000sii's on my dad's old Allez and the back tyre rubbed the seatpost above 75psi. I swapped the rear tyre out for a 25c GP5000 and there are now no clearance issues whatsoever. That bike is several thousand miles away so I can't get an exact measure for you, but these tyres are definitely not oversized the way their predecessor was.

My 28c TLs measure 28mm on 19c internal rims, where my 25c GP4000sii's measure 28mm on the same rims (so the two different specced tyres actually inflate to the same size)
    Custom Albannach Torragar [BUILD IN PROGRESS]
    2020 Ribble CGR SL
    2019 Vitus Vitesse Evo CRS Disc
  • cowboyjon
    cowboyjon Posts: 89
    My Defy is still on the stock gavia ac1 tubeless tyres. I'm a relative noob and was wondering if someone could tell me if it's worth ditching them and spending the £100 to try these gp5000?

I've read the glowing reviews but unfortunately there isn't much info on the tyres I currently use so it's tough to compare and decide if it's worth the cash.

I'm not expecting an extra 10mph or anything like that but in my mind there always has to be a quantifiable real world gain to any upgrade otherwise its just marketing bullshit.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    cowboyjon wrote:
    My Defy is still on the stock gavia ac1 tubeless tyres. I'm a relative noob and was wondering if someone could tell me if it's worth ditching them and spending the £100 to try these gp5000?

I've read the glowing reviews but unfortunately there isn't much info on the tyres I currently use so it's tough to compare and decide if it's worth the cash.

I'm not expecting an extra 10mph or anything like that but in my mind there always has to be a quantifiable real world gain to any upgrade otherwise its just marketing bullshit.

The short answer is 'no'..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    In reply to the earlier post about a sidewall it on the continent tl tyre, What people consider rideable pressure is often too high for a stable repair.

I have ridden n a front tyre with 15 psi in it as this all that sidewall cut could hold without the plug pushing out. If you see the plug pushing out even a little bit let air out. Another front puncture this week held 60 psi whe plugged without the plug pushing out. I raced on it like that and the next day and it could hold 80 psi without pushing out. That's what most people dont understand about tyre plugs only inflate to a pressure that it can hold without starting to push out . After a day or two then test what it can hold as the sealant helps bond it in the tyre.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cowboyjon
    cowboyjon Posts: 89
    Imposter wrote:
    cowboyjon wrote:

And the long answer?
  • cowboyjon wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    cowboyjon wrote:

And the long answer?
    Noooooooooo.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    cowboyjon wrote:

they are a nice to have. stick with the gavias (they aren't bad tyres). I've a pair of 5000s on my nice bike and they are very very good. but there are other options out there (Rubinho/ 4 seasons/ vittoria corsa/ Veloflex/ Pirelli etc) that are nearly as nice and hopefully a bit cheaper.