Will Success Spoil Geraint Thomas?

13»

Comments

• kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    I think he'll do a lot better financially than Froome did from winning his first tour, because let's face it, he's just more likeable.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    The biggest thing with Froomey was that it was never awkward. He would have been gutted because he wanted to win a fifth Tour and three grand tours on the trot.

I thought he did win three GTs on the trot?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,009
    Maybe G knows something
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Maybe G knows something

:):o :x
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Mad_Malx wrote:

I cant work out if its usual create a bit of column inches controversy to sell a book, which lets face it regardless of how popular Thomas is, has a pretty short shelf life in terms of volumes they can sell, or if he still hasnt quite mastered the art of the press will print everything you say and give it a spin you didnt intend interview yet
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,165
    awavey wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

I cant work out if its usual create a bit of column inches controversy to sell a book, which lets face it regardless of how popular Thomas is, has a pretty short shelf life in terms of volumes they can sell, or if he still hasnt quite mastered the art of the press will print everything you say and give it a spin you didnt intend interview yet
    It's not even a controversy, is it?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    RichN95 wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

It's not even a controversy, is it?

Mighty oaks from little acorns grow, it just seems unnecessary friendly fire purely to shift copies of the book, as all the reviews will lead on the "tensions in Team Sky" angle even though it might be a few paragraphs out of a 320 page book.

Im assuming McRae is quoting verbatim that Thomas was "angry" and "stewed" and isnt colourising just a bland it was marginally annoying for 2 seconds type quote.

and btw team of the marginal gains, do some research and proper understanding of the power consumption of air con units before you try and plug them all into some ropey old hotel in the middle of nowhere supply
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Thomas comes across as an honest guy, at least in the way he speaks. If these are his biggest gripes then I think the situation is OK at Sky.
    I suppose he'll want another go at the Tour, but Sky sent Wiggins to the Giro (obviously that didn't work out for him) and I think that would be a better approach for him and the team. Froome will be super motivated to take his 5th Tour so i don't this leaves room for Thomas.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    inseine wrote:
    Thomas comes across as an honest guy, at least in the way he speaks. If these are his biggest gripes then I think the situation is OK at Sky.
    I suppose he'll want another go at the Tour, but Sky sent Wiggins to the Giro (obviously that didn't work out for him) and I think that would be a better approach for him and the team. Froome will be super motivated to take his 5th Tour so i don't this leaves room for Thomas.

In fairness, the year Wiggins won the parcour could have hardly suited him better.
  • inseine
    inseine wrote:

In fairness, the year Wiggins won the parcour could have hardly suited him better.

This is anothet story, but true. He was flying that year though. I can't remember, but were P-N, Romandie and the Dauphiné equally Brad friendly? As Thomas says, Wiggins heart wasn't in it after winning the Tour, whereas he insists he's still motivated.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,614
    Longer extract here -

https://rouleur.cc/editorial/geraint-th ... k-extract/

No problems.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,614
    inseine wrote:
    inseine wrote:

This is anothet story, but true. He was flying that year though. I can't remember, but were P-N, Romandie and the Dauphiné equally Brad friendly? As Thomas says, Wiggins heart wasn't in it after winning the Tour, whereas he insists he's still motivated.

Apparently he reflects on this in HIS latest book. He says he was on a pretty fragile mental tightrope come the Giro, and soon fell off it. Its what everyone knew, but interesting to see it mentioned.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,165
    CarbonClem wrote:
    People who bang on about banning radios should note that it's Froome and Thomas making the decisions on the road not the DS
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    RichN95 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    People who bang on about banning radios should note that it's Froome and Thomas making the decisions on the road not the DS

Do you think they're really scared of Luke Rowe? I didn't know if it was a joke.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    inseine wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Yes hed got himself into the right form as well thats for sure.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    Obviously Thomas may speak differently in private but he does come across as such a nice, trusting character almost naive in his faith in the team to do the right thing by him. If he thinks he's getting equal protection in 2019 I fear he may be kidding himself. Of course I could be wrong but as I tell my daughter occasionally with her football your first opponents are your own team mates, your first job is establishing your position in the team.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • inseine
    inseine wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Yes hed got himself into the right form as well thats for sure.

definitely one of your more subtle efforts
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Obviously Thomas may speak differently in private but he does come across as such a nice, trusting character almost naive in his faith in the team to do the right thing by him. If he thinks he's getting equal protection in 2019 I fear he may be kidding himself. Of course I could be wrong but as I tell my daughter occasionally with her football your first opponents are your own team mates, your first job is establishing your position in the team.

Seems like a bad lesson; trust no one, you're on your own even in a team game?
  • DeVlaeminck
    joey54321 wrote:

More in terms of getting into the team, for Thomas in asserting his position in the hierarchy.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,238
    RichN95 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    People who bang on about the presence of race radios having no bearing on the entertainment level of the racing should note that when all the main GC guys are together knocking 7 shades of sh1t out of each other on a brutal short stage right up to the last couple of km, power meters, DS’s, fans, God/Allah/Michelle/Max Boyce, etc, are all irrelevant...
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,521
    Max Boyce is ALWAYS relevant.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    People who bang on about the presence of race radios having no bearing on the entertainment level of the racing should note that when all the main GC guys are together knocking 7 shades of sh1t out of each other on a brutal short stage right up to the last couple of km, power meters, DS’s, fans, God/Allah/Michelle/Max Boyce, etc, are all irrelevant...

Agree bar Fans - Nibali would certainly have a view on that!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,346
    joey54321 wrote:

More in terms of getting into the team, for Thomas in asserting his position in the hierarchy.

It's fine in context. In competitive areas such a thing as being too nice does exist.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • DeVlaeminck
    In football it's just things like treating training seriously, not always being the one volunteering to play out of position or go in goal, making sure you show yourself and not always laying an easy ball off.
  • Dorset Boy wrote:

But plenty more points in the "I'm a nice guy" column :)