Will Success Spoil Geraint Thomas?

kleinstroker
kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
edited November 2018 in Pro race
After his surprising win it looks like life is on the up for old Geraint what with private jets and "nice hotels" as he puts it, there is a distinct feeling he's on the move from Sky. My personal appraisal of his win and not to detract from it, was that he was a bit fortunate that Froome was knackered after the Giro as was Tom Dumoulin, and that Porte and Nibali, both fresh, crashed out.

If he leaves Sky to be the main man in another team, which must be tempting for him in his final years as a pro, where would he go and how realistic is it to expect him to do as well again? Should he just follow the money if he gets a big offer?

Or does he stay at Sky, enjoy the fact he won the TDF once and go back to supporting Froome for a 5th possible win?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/45024167

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    nah stay at sky, then smash froome in the mountains. Put him to the sword.

its the circle of life innit
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    I’d imagine remain at Sky, next year GT. Then return to classics with a possible turn at 2020 Okympics with Cav?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I'd say stay at Sky. Probably has more chance of success in further GTs with the team that Sky have built than leading at another team. Look at Porte since has left Sky, he has won some smaller races for sure but perhaps would have been better off staying at Sky and leading the Giro or the Vuelta.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    im not convinced Porte has what it takes.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Brailsford seems convinced that Thomas will sign a new contract.
    I imagine Sky will be able to pay him more than anyone else and will let him have a crack at the Giro/Vuelta along with the classics if he fancies.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    On a side note can we stop talking about Porte like he is a sure contender for GT's. Nibali sure, but not Porte.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Amen. Still not sure why Porte was ever considered a contender - especially when the same people are willing to trash Quintana at any moment. Their palmares speak volumes.......
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • carbonclem
    After his surprising win it looks like life is on the up for old Geraint what with private jets and "nice hotels" as he puts it

In fairness , he is already a Monaco dwelling millionaire that owns a country mansion house in S Wales :)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I don't see G leaving Sky any time soon. They'll probably have the same tactic next year - go into the Tour with two strong riders and let it sort itself out on the road.
  • carbonclem
    pat1cp wrote:

I liked it so much, I bought the company! :D
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Of course Porte is a contender, he's one of the few that fit and in form could (not necessarily would) climb and TT with Froome, Dumoulin etc. He seems to fall off a lot and lack that killer instinct but wasn't that said about a certain Welshman up until 3 weeks ago?

As for Geraint Thomas, who knows what he wants to do but if it were me I'd want to be leading a team in next year's Tour. I might stay at Sky and try and manouever Froome to one side - pretty much as Froome did with Wiggins - or I might look at other offers.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I'm not sure he has the muscle to outmanouver Froome.

I'm not down onn him winning but I think it's important to remember that this happened a bit accidently on-purpose. If Froome had had no interest in the double, Gerraint would have finihsed a worthy 78th place having busted his balls for Froome again. A curious set of circumstances has led to him winning the tour whilst riding in someone else's shadow...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    From what I've read in the past other teams are bored of trying to negotiate with him because he always ends up at Team Sky. Having said that, maybe someone will make him a big offer, but how many teams actually have the budget to make him a really big offer? Then add in the right quality of team mates, etc. He does seem well liked though, so the right offer from a team with a bunch of guys he gets on really well with and rates as potential helpers, could be enough of a pull. I'd say the odds of him staying where he is right now are higher though. Who knows what leadership opportunities there will be next year given how good Bernal is already looking at such a young age. I don't know what the expectations are for Sivakov, but Sky clearly have an eye on the post-Froome era and a 32 year old Thomas doesn't exactly make for a long term replacement either.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Of course Porte is a contender, he's one of the few that fit and in form could (not necessarily would) climb and TT with Froome, Dumoulin etc. He seems to fall off a lot and lack that killer instinct but wasn't that said about a certain Welshman up until 3 weeks ago?

I don't want to derail this thread but you could say that about at least 10 other guys.
  • DeVlaeminck
    ddraver wrote:

I'm not down onn him winning but I think it's important to remember that this happened a bit accidently on-purpose. If Froome had had no interest in the double, Gerraint would have finihsed a worthy 78th place having busted his balls for Froome again. A curious set of circumstances has led to him winning the tour whilst riding in someone else's shadow...

I think that's a bit harsh, we don't know how much of Froome's form was down to the Giro, I mean he didn't exactly look unbeatable in the Giro either and Thomas probably could have taken more time in the Tour but for not wanting to drop Froome out of GC.

That said I don't necessarily disagree with you that Froome is stronger but if it were me I'd be thinking I'm going to find out which of us is better. He's a Tour winner, to ride the year after as a domestique or not ride it at all would almost be an admission that he won it by default. If he's happy with that then I'm happy for him, I just can't get my head round a top athlete not being more competitive than that.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    True, my point was also to do with the lack of media attention and such like that comes with being a Tour Contender. It will be interesting to see how he copes with it now. Recently it seemed he was very happy to stand in the background and let other people be interviewed by Jill Douglas. He won't be able to now.

With regards to the 2018 Tour, we were still talking about him being the "back up plan co-leader" until about...Thursday? Obviously being in yellow for the best part of 2 weeks isnt nothing...but it also wasnt quite the same.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/other-sport/cycling/geraint-thomas-already-won-another-14976204

Dipshit reporting, they'll be stunned a few times more in the next few weeks.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    ddraver wrote:

I know this is tongue in cheek but it's interesting that Bernal finished 15th and Thomas has finished 15th twice in the Tour. i think it's safe to say that both guys are easy top ten finishers if that was their objective.
  • mfin wrote:
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/other-sport/cycling/geraint-thomas-already-won-another-14976204

Bauke Mollema was third in the race, which was halted for 10 minutes when Laurens ten Dam collided with barriers and broke his collarbone.

:(
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    inseine wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I know this is tongue in cheek but it's interesting that Bernal finished 15th and Thomas has finished 15th twice in the Tour. i think it's safe to say that both guys are easy top ten finishers if that was their objective.
    Bernal would have been top ten if he hadn't lost 16 minutes on the cobbles stage.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    mfin wrote:

Hahahaha, Tour winner wins post-tour criterium? No way!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    mfin wrote:

In fairness, they do says this if you read the report;

''It is, however, worth noting that the race is a post-Tour criterium event, during which it is customary for the jersey-winners from the Tour to be successful.''
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    Craigus89 wrote:

I don't want to derail this thread but you could say that about at least 10 other guys.

10 other guys?? :o
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    I'd like him to move to another team so I wasn't left feeling conflicted when he wins. But, as he is unlikely to take my wishes into consideration and there is no team that would seem to be a good fit, I expect he will stay at Sky.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    inseine wrote:
    mfin wrote:

In fairness, they do says this if you read the report;

''It is, however, worth noting that the race is a post-Tour criterium event, during which it is customary for the jersey-winners from the Tour to be successful.''
    I initially thought the same as mfin, but in the context of that quote I think the article is fine in the line of propping up a feel good story and local hero.
    CarbonClem wrote:
    I’d imagine remain at Sky, next year GT. Then return to classics with a possible turn at 2020 Okympics with Cav?
    I don't get why classics keep coming up. Seems more like our wish fulfilment than anything pointing in that direction. His shift has clearly been away from classics and it would make enormously more financial sense for him to remain a GC contender.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Whilst this is undoubtably his biggest success it’s hardly like he has been an unknown domestique struggling by on a WT minimum wage for the past few years is it? As pointed out he’s a millionaire who seems to enjoy the lifestyle whilst remaining a seemingly down to earth, relaxed, nice person. He has now achieved something I suspect he may not have ever expected for himself. I’d be very surprised if he leaves Sky at any point and will probably remain happy to be a faithful lieutenant who gets his chance every now and then rather than going elsewhere with little support and a burden of expectation. Remember he’s nearer the end of his career than the start. I suspect he’s got a few more Grand Tours in him and may then go back to having a crack at the Classics.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Craigus89 wrote:

I can't think of 5 who could match Froome on a climb and a TT with both on a good day. Yes there are riders who can do one or the other but 10??

Porte, Dumoulin, Roglic, Thomas and you could argue about some of them.
  • pat1cp wrote:

How lovely! I think this is a very astute investment. Nice :mrgreen:
  • Looking at the embrace with SDB at the end of the TT, I think he'll stay at SKY until he retires. I read a quote from SDB the other day referencing forthcoming GT contract negotiations "Other teams don't have a problem paying for performance and neither do we". GT to get a huge bump, but to stay.