World Cup 2018

1192021222325»

Comments

• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Chris Bass wrote:
    England were actually dier. If they’d had a hard group, they wouldn’t have made it out. Same old England, different day.

That is very harsh, England did as expected against who they played, no more no less. They made the most of a favourable draw and some "bigger" teams going out early.

Which teams at a similar level to England did better?

Belgium. They belted us twice.

Our Waterloo :(
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    joe2008 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    England were actually dier. If they’d had a hard group, they wouldn’t have made it out. Same old England, different day.

That is very harsh, England did as expected against who they played, no more no less. They made the most of a favourable draw and some "bigger" teams going out early.

No, Belgium have two world class midfielders, we haven't.

True.
  • milemuncher1
    Robert88 wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Our Waterloo :(

It seems that way.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,864
    Chris Bass wrote:

Good to see that your ability to always be wrong transcends sports.

Have you been triple counting Belgium’s goals?
  • milemuncher1
    Chris Bass wrote:

You’re a knob. 2-0 is a belting, what sort of clueless knob are you?
  • surrey_commuter
    Chris Bass wrote:

You’re a knob. 2-0 is a belting, what sort of clueless knob are you?

Your ability to write English suggests a reasonable level of intelligence so you either deliberately write the opposite of what is correct or you have a mental illness.

Either way it is something of a relief to be considered a clueless knob.

Find me one other person in the world who considers 1-0 to be a belting
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,488
    I would say that the first game counts. The Belgian manager said the first objective was to not win the the game for the easier draw. They couldn't manage to lose while trying.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696

Do you mind not splitting your infinitives like that? Please. It lets us down in front of our Russian friend.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,853
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I would say that the first game counts. The Belgian manager said the first objective was to not win the the game for the easier draw. They couldn't manage to lose while trying.

If he really wanted to lose he'd have started Mignolet
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • surrey_commuter
    Robert88 wrote:

Do you mind not splitting your infinitives like that? Please. It lets us down in front of our Russian friend.

Bizarrely that is the only thing about English that I know because of Capt James T. Kirk unforgivable “boldly going”
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,419
    Robert88 wrote:

Bizarrely that is the only thing about English that I know because of Capt James T. Kirk unforgivable “boldly going”

Split infinitives have been around since at least the 13th century. Daniel Defoe, Benjamin Franklin, William Wordsworth, Abraham Lincoln, George Eliot, Henry James, and Willa Cather are among the writers who used them. Keep on splitting, I say.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • milemuncher1
    Robert88 wrote:

Aww leave him alone. He’s obviously a bit ‘special’. It’s wicked to mock the afflicted.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,038
    Quite a few Liverpool supporters would, after they have won a game 1-0.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    Robert88 wrote:

Aww leave him alone. He’s obviously a bit ‘special’. It’s wicked to mock the afflicted.

Careful Walt, you may stray off the reservation