Any advice on cornering?

13»

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    imafatman wrote:
    This is the first time I've heard of counter-steering and I thought it was nuts but thinking about my own riding I'm pretty sure that's just how most people with any semblance of riding ability will naturally ride. Cycling without counter-steering would be basically impossible.

I just don't think you need to spend ages trying to practise it cos that's more likely to get you confused and end in tears. Just practising riding around corners at speed in a car park and you should just get it.
    This.

If you can ride a bicycle without stabilisers, then you already know everything you need to about countersteering.

It's like saying you need to learn about gaseous exchange to improve your cycling. You're already doing it - forget about it.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,558
    Cos? and Confused? Okay. :roll:
    i see no confusion at all, as your post history demonstrates, your presence on this forum is solely to spam your wordpress sites - which, of course, i am not clicking on
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Cotterend
    Cotterend Posts: 73
    A year or so ago I stopped cornering by steering into it, and instead just leaned into it. I think this is in fact counter steering.

The corner can be taken faster, but it is a little weird: I keep my head in line with my body so the world cants over and it can be difficult to keep the bend in sight! But fun...
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Im not the greatest descender - but leaning and not steering has helped me a bit - you can also practice on slower roads - my commute is traffic intense - so I am not hammering it - but i have been practising lines around corners - probably not any faster but it feels smoother !
  • JTUK
    JTUK Posts: 67
    Try getting on to a British Cycling accredited coaching course. This is a good site to look for events near you:

https://www.riderhq.com/events?q=Training&a=SEARCH&type=&distance=&postcode=