Scratched eye

haydenm
haydenm Posts: 2,997
I know this isn't especially cycling related but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. Cycle touring last week, I got sand in my eye whilst camping on dunes last Tuesday, I think it must have scratched my eye as I couldn't keep it open and not watering without sunglasses on. I washed it out lots but it still felt like there was something there (probably the scratch at this point). It swelled up for a day or two, then the feeling of something 'in' my eye went away and now I'm left with no pain but slightly blurry vision in my left eye.

I had an eye test a few months ago and they said my left eye was marginally worse but no glasses were needed, I don't know if I'm just being paranoid now but does anyone know how long it should take to heal? Google says 1-3 days so I'm feeling a trip to the opticians coming on...

Cheers

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,423
    It might be infected. I had similar when kids were toddlers and a flailing arm with grubby fingernails on the end caught me in the eye. bloody painful it was too! Went to hospital and they put special yellow liquid in the eye to assess the scratches. They weren't too bad but I had antibiotic drops to put in for a week. Was sore for about 10 days but got better.

Now the other day I was using a Garlic press and a juicy bit of garlic shot out the back and right into my eye. That was excruciating! Like acid in the eyes!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    It might be infected. I had similar when kids were toddlers and a flailing arm with grubby fingernails on the end caught me in the eye. bloody painful it was too! Went to hospital and they put special yellow liquid in the eye to assess the scratches. They weren't too bad but I had antibiotic drops to put in for a week. Was sore for about 10 days but got better.

Now the other day I was using a Garlic press and a juicy bit of garlic shot out the back and right into my eye. That was excruciating! Like acid in the eyes!

I have read a few bits about antibiotic eye drops, might be worth getting hold of those just in case, good point.

I always manage to get lemon juice in my eye every time I do near the things (which is regularly because I like alcohol with lemon or lime in), I think it's a sign that I should drink less
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Our dog had this after running through long coarse grass. The vet used a UV reactive indicators to check the surface of the eye (interestingly this stuff is also used for putting down drains when trying to trace where they run to).

The dog was given antibiotic drops.