Higher Heart Rate than last year meaning?

tonysj
tonysj Posts: 391
edited February 2018 in Training, fitness and health
Guys,
I've been road cycling for just over 1 year and I've noticed that my HR has generally increased when I'm out on the road.
Last year I would go out in the summer, so it was warmer, and do a reasonable intensive effort and found my HR would average 140 bpm with max for the session at 155 bpm.
Just today went out for an off road trail ride of 26 miles of steady to low effort. The last 3 miles I gave it more effort which was similar to the summer efforts and my HR is regularly going to mid 165 bpm max for the session.

Is this higher HR simply due to me being able to cope better and my body feel comfortable with the higher HR as although I'm exerting myself I still feel my breathing is controlled and I have more to give. It just seems last year I would really feel like I had given plenty of effort but have a lower HR than I currently have but now I'm not giving as much perceived effort but my HR is still higher.

Its probably a straight forward answer but I could do with understanding why so I'm more aware.

Regards.

Tony.

Comments

• Relative fitness
    Weather
    Weight
    Hydration levels
    General health
    Lots of variables
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Indeed lots of variables.

You've probably git used to pushing yourself more.

Two sessions a year apart can't tell us much. What about compared to last week ?
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    cougie wrote:
    Indeed lots of variables.

You've probably git used to pushing yourself more.

Two sessions a year apart can't tell us much. What about compared to last week ?

The HR levels are the same difference , last summer low this year higher, I did have a 2 month off cycling due to major surgery but fully recovered and done 600 miles in last 3 months plus turbo, so I don't think its down to any variables. I have done a month of turbo training with Trainer Road late Dec/Jan so could it be partly due to this and general fitness improvement.

I would assume that if Im fitter then my HR would be lower!! I think that's the bit I'm struggling to understand :o if that's the reason...

T
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Road v off-road = not really comparable in terms of HR
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Imposter wrote:
    Road v off-road = not really comparable in terms of HR

I'd say this.

Very different stresses and strains. Repeat a road route from last year to make a real comparison. Also your resting heart rate is probably more relevant to general fitness.
  • Consistency is key when trying to compare things. If all things are equal then higher heart rate is generally not good unless your previous heart rate was not rising due to fatigue. What plan were you following on TrainerRoad and did you complete the plan, including the rest week? Are you training with power? Did the workouts feel hard? Did you improve at all during the plan?