Time at a given % of ftp beyond 1hr

burnthesheep
burnthesheep Posts: 675
I've found some helpful triathlon posts and sites, as this is very key to them on the bike to be ready for the foot race part of an IM.

They must know they can do x% power for the bike ride. They say 80 to 85% to be run ready. Their 1/2 IM effort on the bike is about 2hrs 45min.

But, how does this work out otherwise for a given % of ftp? Maybe not comparing a 20 min ftp to a 15 hour audax, but otherwise anything reasonably longer than a 20 min or 1 hour ftp, but less than 4 hours.

I've got a weekend to myself and am driving to a mountain in our state that's a 5000 ft HC climb. I don't own a power meter, but I can hop on the trainer at the gym at work with power meter and do some time on it at the same effort to try to get an idea of the exertion level.

I've done a 1000 ft before at 8% avg, but that took about 24 min. I did that effort 3 times that day. When I did this I had ftp around 200 a few months back.

If I can now ftp 230w, what can I hold for about 2 hours? 80%? 75%?

I want to make it a personal challenge but don't want to blow up half way or 2/3 way up. It averages a little over 4% but has pitches of 8 to 20% in a couple spots.

Bikecalculator says for my weights and the grade it's a gross avg of about 185w at 90 rpm on the 34 and in the 28t. So I should be good on gearing. I may map out the higher % grade parts of the climb to know from what mile to what mile they are so I do a few min of recovery before upping power for those.

Cheers.

Comments