DIY Shimano bleed kit

Jlop
Jlop Posts: 3
edited February 2017 in MTB beginners
What's up gang?

Happy New Year to everyone.

Sure there are many affordable kits online ranging from $15-20, but what if we decided to build our own. Well ladies and gentlemen, that is exactly what I'm intending to do. However, I have never own a bleed kit before. Based on the visual research I've made, here a list of items I must acquire:
- Luer Lock Syringe
- Tube
And
- Plastic Clamp (to clamp to the caliper oil port)

My question is what size do I need.
Which syringe(50ml or 100ml) is best?
Does the tubing need to be 3mm or 4mm ID? Or which size tube will fit over the caliper port?
Is the black plastic clamp really necessary?

All other items like the funnel and oil will be purchased.
Any advised will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I just used a syringe (10ml) and a 3mm tube and that's it, no clamp or anything, used it on my old 65 series and then on 85 series without an issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jlop
    Jlop Posts: 3
    The Rookie wrote:
    I just used a syringe (10ml) and a 3mm tube and that's it, no clamp or anything, used it on my old 65 series and then on 85 series without an issue.

Please forgive my ignorance but I have no clue to what 65 or 85 series, is. However, I failed to mention earlier that I own a pair of Shimano XTR 975. Will you say your method would work for my brakes? Also did you use any specific tubing?
    Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    65 series is 765 and 975 (XT and XTR) and then 785 (XT), I just used an old piece of car engine vacuum pipe tubing.

I would say it will work fine, remove reservoir cover, suck the reservoir down empty using the syringe and dispose of, then fill the syringe with fresh fluid, attach and calliper bleed, loosen bleed and squirt fluid through filling the resevoir, repeat if necessary, then make sure the resevoir is full and then tighten bleed screw and refit diaphragm and resevoir cover.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bob57
    Bob57 Posts: 14
    I use Shimanos own funnel £7 some 3mm tube and a clear small shampoo bottle to bleed I use a 50ml Reusable Feeding Syringe Luer Lock
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201612712622? ... EBIDX%3AIT as they are a bit stronger than the plastic type

When filling the system I set up the funnel and fill the system from the caliper Tighten the caliper bleed nipple and then gently pump the lever I find that this is not rock hard and no more bleeding is needed