Vuelta stage 19 *spoiler*

124»

Comments

• I reckon it'd be almost neck and neck had Sky not lost contact on stage 15 - Froome would probably still have a lead but my guess would be less than 30 seconds.
    Where's the other 50 seconds gone?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    Quite entertaining for a TT that. Only really work for me when they make for a close competition.
  • tim000 wrote:
    bloody hell , froome was chucking that bike round those corners at the end . could barely watch . great bike handling

Yup pretty cool for a guy with no bike handling skills.

File alongside "Cav is finished' in the Pro cycling misnomer vault of crap.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • I reckon it'd be almost neck and neck had Sky not lost contact on stage 15 - Froome would probably still have a lead but my guess would be less than 30 seconds.

Quintana had what before stage 15 - a minute or so ? Chances are he'd have taken a bit more on the stage 15 finish even had Froome been there and maybe a handful of seconds on that steep mountain top finish but not enough to hold off Froome's advantage from today. It's a guess of course but seems a reasonable one.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Set up quite interestingly now.

Climb tomorrow suits Froome more than some of the other have. He doesn't need to defend 2nd to prove anything, so maybe we'll see his team make it really hard. If I was Froome, I'd want to get Bert off the podium, purely as a Gracias for his attack last Sunday.

This all probably means it'll be pedestrian and Pierre Rolland will win.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Impressive from Froome, should be some excitement tmw on the 21km final climb. He has to go early if he wants to win it.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    From CQ Preview.

Froome must be hugely frustrated by the weather forecast. It will be a headwind in the final 7km of the climb which is the hardest part. That will make it much harder to get rid of Quintana and it could very well make all the difference. It may force him to make his move a bit earlier than planned. However, if he can get a gap before he turns into the headwind, it will actually work in his favour as he is much more powerful than Quintana.

Quintana had what before stage 15 - a minute or so ? Chances are he'd have taken a bit more on the stage 15 finish even had Froome been there and maybe a handful of seconds on that steep mountain top finish but not enough to hold off Froome's advantage from today. It's a guess of course but seems a reasonable one.

No, not really.
    With the steadier tempo of a "normal" mountain stage, a number of riders would have got to that stage 15 finish within a few seconds of each other.
    As for the steep mountain finish, do you think they were not trying?
    Doubling his lead would have been highly unlikely.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No, not really.
    With the steadier tempo of a "normal" mountain stage, a number of riders would have got to that stage 15 finish within a few seconds of each other.

Well for the steep mountain finish - looked to me like Quintana was marking Contador and didn't gamble on an attack but if you read what I wrote you'll see I said he "may" have got "a handful of seconds" so hardly an outlandish claim. Riders with a decent GC lead will often ride defensively - that doesn't mean they aren't trying it just means they are more conservative because they don't have to gain time just avoid losing it by blowing up.

As for stage 15 - Quintana did put significant time into Froome on that final climb having spent longer in the wind than Froome did during the stage so you'll have to explain to me why it's so unlikely he could have repeated that had they arrived together. We can't know for sure but it seems reasonable - Froome was clearly on a bad day given some of the riders who outclimbed him and Quintana was clearly on a good one. Sky as a team were out on their feet and after a day of controlling they'd have had very little to help and Movistar are unlikely to have made it a steady tempo day given they had to get time there.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Froome was superb... as were Berti and Quintana. I fear It won't be enough though to steel the win later today.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Legs of steal will get him through
  • No, not really.

Well for the steep mountain finish - looked to me like Quintana was marking Contador and didn't gamble on an attack but if you read what I wrote you'll see I said he "may" have got "a handful of seconds" so hardly an outlandish claim. Riders with a decent GC lead will often ride defensively - that doesn't mean they aren't trying it just means they are more conservative because they don't have to gain time just avoid losing it by blowing up.

As for stage 15 - Quintana did put significant time into Froome on that final climb having spent longer in the wind than Froome did during the stage so you'll have to explain to me why it's so unlikely he could have repeated that had they arrived together. We can't know for sure but it seems reasonable - Froome was clearly on a bad day given some of the riders who outclimbed him and Quintana was clearly on a good one. Sky as a team were out on their feet and after a day of controlling they'd have had very little to help and Movistar are unlikely to have made it a steady tempo day given they had to get time there.

I understand what you are saying.
    My point was mainly in regard of stage 15. I don't think you can assume that had they arrived together, they would still have been in the situation where Froome was still having such a bad day. He may well have ridden himself into the stage. It also under plays the value of Quintana having such strong domestique support. I thought as a result, Quintana spent very little time in the wind, relative to Froome, before going on the final climb. That is just a different observation. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.
    As a result of the stage being ridden at an incredibly hard tempo, the final climb looked far harder than it was, in comparison to other finishing climbs. Hence I think the estimate that Froome would have lost the approximately the same amount of time as he did on his other "bad" mountain, Lagos de Covadonga is very unlikely.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Froome was superb... as were Berti and Quintana. I fear It won't be enough though to steel the win later today.
    I wouldn't say Bertie was superb. That was a below par perfomance for him I feel. He'd usually be nearer Froome than Quintana.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.