TdF 2016 stage 5 **spoilers**

124»

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Can't believe there's not a ding dong going on as they're seemingly riding against each other. :shock:

Comments on twitter suggest that there are. Can't rememver who was quoted though
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,057
    This Tour better hot up soon.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,568
    They're all riding for new contracts on new teams aren't they. Fairly typical then.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    There's been more excitement, close finishes, inter-team intrigue in the first 5 stages than the Giro, Route du Sol etc.. put together! Nibili done for, Bertie in need of a steak, Aru looking good, Quintana riding in Froome's pocket..... There's a lot of sideshows revolving around the very focused Froome, Aru, Quintana main act. Great stuff!
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    When you look at the route so far we've probably had more excitement than expected, although the echelons never really materialised. Two contenders are already out of the mix, classic Sagan, the return of Cav and everything to play for.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,249
    Strange thing to say - especially after yesterday. Maybe it's all the distraction of the football/tennis? Just caught up with coverage on French Eurosport, it looked pretty brutal: Alalaphililippe and Peanut having a few nasty moments. And what's up with Dumoulin: another hopeful scrubbed off the list? Astana all over the place...
    Apart from Bertie's pistol going off in his pocket (he's in a horrible position already: he'll have to try a long range mugging of the 2 strongest teams) and Nibali throwing the pin and holding onto the grenade - there's so much going on (as Bo Duke and inseine said).

Or do you just mean no Froome vs Quintana ding dongs yet? In which case, I refer you to the Fri/Sat/Sun stages... I think we're about to see if Aru came with a well packed suitcase - or a Mankini in a man bag.
  • I think you are being a bit harsh - 3 great sprints - a Sagan win - and a show of steal from GVA

Yo have to let it evolve....not sure what you are expecting - this is stage 5 - of a sprinters start ...traditional stuff..

??
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Tinkoff is a bit mad at the moment and not sure why BMC would want 5 minute lead on the GC. They got two Leaders to feed and keep happy so the Team is split in half and now they got to go on the front all day. If Porte gets his time back and Teejay goes well then the Team will be wiped out before Paris. Nice to have yellow but it shows a lack of ambition wanting the jersey now.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,905
    Hadn't realised that Geraint Thomas is riding with damaged ribs after that early crash, until DB mentioned it on Eurosport, post stage.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,143
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Apart from Bertie's pistol going off in his pocket (he's in a horrible position already: he'll have to try a long range mugging of the 2 strongest teams) and Nibali throwing the pin and holding onto the grenade - there's so much going on (as Bo Duke and inseine said).

Stand back I'm using weaponised metaphors!!
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,751
    I guess the disappointment is that some of the potential GC challengers have lost significant time before the GC battle has really got going. Apart from Nibali though none of them are totally out of it and if some of the second stringers can step up we could yet have a decent battle - early days.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Its pretty obvious to me, Nibbles will want a crack at a difficult stage like the queen stage, he doesn’t give 2 hoots about the buck toothed Aru. Dumoulin will be all over the time trial and maybe one of the easier mountain stages. Bertie won’t finish the tour probably. Come the day or 2 after the rest day and one risk too many he’ll be out.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Tinkoff is a bit mad at the moment and not sure why BMC would want 5 minute lead on the GC. They got two Leaders to feed and keep happy so the Team is split in half and now they got to go on the front all day

I still don't get this - Tinkoff had yellow y'day and didn't ride on the front until towards the end and I didn't hear howls of complaint. in fact Sky did more.
  • rick_chasey
    I think you are being a bit harsh - 3 great sprints - a Sagan win - and a show of steal from GVA

Yo have to let it evolve....not sure what you are expecting - this is stage 5 - of a sprinters start ...traditional stuff..

??

Might be used to being spoiled by great first weeks like we had the last two years.

But basically we're waiting for Friday before anything happens ZZZZZzzzz.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I think you are being a bit harsh - 3 great sprints - a Sagan win - and a show of steal from GVA

??

Might be used to being spoiled by great first weeks like we had the last two years.

Coincidentally I'm working from home that day :)
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    “Working”.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,442

??

I like the transition stages - you don't actually have to watch them at all closely, and it gives the race a chance to actually work its way across the country.

Plus if every day is "exciting", then the riders are all too knackered to make a proper race when the time comes for proper racing.
  • rick_chasey
    It must also be cos of the football in France.

Very low key start. I quite like prologues too. Gives a first glimpse of the big men without affecting it too much.

Tour first mentioned in L'eqiupe today on page 31.

Just not feeling the love.

Partly also I'm always on holiday in Netherlands first week of the Tour.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,675
    Kreuziger - "I hope I don't get photographed looking behind me"

CmwtgvqWIAA3fgj.jpg
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    He didn’t notice Contador was struggling.