Team Sky - a success?

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,761
    cougie wrote:
    Ffs.
    So being knighted by the Queen, winning gold for GB at the Olympics and still living in Britain when he could easily be a tax exile?

He's British.

Belgian.

Sorry.

I know the English love to adopt a winner but hey, guys, he's Belgian.

Either you're being deliberately obtuse or you're thick.

Take your pick.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    cougie wrote:
    Ffs.
    So being knighted by the Queen, winning gold for GB at the Olympics and still living in Britain when he could easily be a tax exile?

He's British.

Belgian.

Sorry.

I know the English love to adopt a winner but hey, guys, he's Belgian.

Either you're being deliberately obtuse or you're thick.

Take your pick.

that's a little unfair. Could very well be both...
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,701
    Excellent stirring MF, excellent.

Now where's that Mr Burns gif...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    cougie wrote:
    Ffs.

He's British.

You do also realize that Tito, Il Duce and Mugabe were granted knighthoods?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,337
    cougie wrote:
    Ffs.

He's British.

That's quite disingenuous of you. None of them received what we commonly refer to as a knighthood, which bestows the right to the title Sir. The reason being, they weren't British.

Mugabe, for instance, received an honorary Knight Grand Cross, Tito an honorary GCB. The honorary GCB is standard for visiting heads of state.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Isn't there some kind of rule about not turning up to a battle of wits unarmed?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Matthewfalle
    cougie wrote:
    Ffs.

He's British.

That's quite disingenuous of you. None of them received what we commonly refer to as a knighthood, which bestows the right to the title Sir. The reason being, they weren't British.

Mugabe, for instance, received an honorary Knight Grand Cross, Tito an honorary GCB. The honorary GCB is standard for visiting heads of state.

Oh, then that's all right then.

But Wiggins is still Belgian and none of them are British.

Sorry.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    cougie wrote:
    Ffs.

He's British.

All of those hold (or held, at least one of them has since been stripped) Honorary GCBs. These exist because regular membership is restricted to Brits, or citizens of a nation with the Queen as head of state. That wouldn't include Belgium.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    iainf72 wrote:

Also something about not wrestling pigs.

Personally I'm enjoying the philosophical aspect of the complete subversion of logic being utilised here. It's rare to see such an example of the abnegation of critical thinking.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Personally I'm just wondering how to break it to my dad that for the last 70 years he's been Sudanese without realising. It will be quite a shock to him.
  • Matthewfalle
    Personally I'm just wondering how to break it to my dad that for the last 70 years he's been Sudanese without realising. It will be quite a shock to him.

Well, it'll be a bit of a bugger but if you do it over a pint or two I'm sure it'll be fine.

At least he won't be Belgian like Wiggins.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    The_Boy wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    Ffs.

He's British.

All of those hold (or held, at least one of them has since been stripped) Honorary GCBs. These exist because regular membership is restricted to Brits, or citizens of a nation with the Queen as head of state. That wouldn't include Belgium.

Jimmy Saville had a knighthood.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,761
    Alright Matt.

Either start posting on topic or stop. You've made your point.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    The_Boy wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    Ffs.

He's British.

Jimmy Saville had a knighthood.

Yes. And he was English.

My mum has a hat, if that's any help. It's about as relevant.
  • Matthewfalle
    iainf72 wrote:

Dude - don't put yourself down.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Alright Matt.

Either start posting on topic or stop. You've made your point.

Okey dokey Boss.

But he is Belgian.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,391
    I would rather cyclists were liked because of their personality, tactical ability, sportsmanship and character. I have no notions of Nationality in so far as "I support British riders because they are... British" or in this case, a 'British team' Is it really a British team as it is funded by News Corp and the Murdoch empire? (who I find insidious and odious).
    When I first started watching cycling (stage 6, 1985 TdF - mind blowing cacophony of car horns, dust, a seemingly other worldly commentary, mesmerising images and inexplicable yet intriguing action), there were so few English speaking riders then, I got accustomed to viewing cycling as a very Continental activity and got to love the characters and the racing regardless of nationality.

Does anyone think that the SKY Pro team is a 'British' success story?
    I just wonder if anyone flies the Flag?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I know what you mean. I frequently get told I'm a Sky fanboy as I stick up for them seemingly being one of the cleaner teams, but I can honestly say I've never cheered them on as a team. I was really happy and cheered Wiggo's Tour, but that wasn't because he was Sky.

Weird really but I never even think of supporting a cycling team (except GBR in the Olympics), it's all about riders for me, heroes & villains along with whoever I've got in my fantasy team.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,826
    Pinno wrote:
    I would rather cyclists were liked because of their personality, tactical ability, sportsmanship and character. I have no notions of Nationality in so far as "I support British riders because they are... British" or in this case, a 'British team' Is it really a British team as it is funded by News Corp and the Murdoch empire? (who I find insidious and odious).
    When I first started watching cycling (stage 6, 1985 TdF - mind blowing cacophony of car horns, dust, a seemingly other worldly commentary, mesmerising images and inexplicable yet intriguing action), there were so few English speaking riders then, I got accustomed to viewing cycling as a very Continental activity and got to love the characters and the racing regardless of nationality.

Does anyone think that the SKY Pro team is a 'British' success story?
    I just wonder if anyone flies the Flag?
    It is a successful business story.
    Cav does/did. Or does the Green jersey not count?
    You could also try going back to the year before you started for a Polka Jersey and 4th place, if only Le Tour counts.
    Then again, he did speak with a peculiar accent. And I don't mean Scottish.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,391
    Yes, you have said it - 'a successful business story'.

At the root of all Pro cycling is money. We oft forget that and as has been pointed out before, it's about advertising.
    Look how quickly Deutsche Telekom* pulled out when the drugs scandal hit or how the likes of Nike distance themselves from 'Star' caught with their pants down so to speak.

*So much so, that German sponsored/based Pro teams are very thin on the ground but traditionally, they've never been that much behind road cycling.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Pinno wrote:
    Yes, you have said it - 'a successful business story'.

At the root of all Pro cycling is money. We oft forget that and as has been pointed out before, it's about advertising.
    Look how quickly Deutsche Telekom* pulled out when the drugs scandal hit or how the likes of Nike distance themselves from 'Star' caught with their pants down so to speak.

*So much so, that German sponsored/based Pro teams are very thin on the ground but traditionally, they've never been that much behind road cycling.

Although Festina never missed a beat and still sponsor the Tour, even though the whole scandal is still called the Festina affair. Publicity is often a good thing, negative or positive.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786

Well, it'll be a bit of a bugger but if you do it over a pint or two I'm sure it'll be fine.

At least he won't be Belgian like Wiggins.

We can at least all agree that SKY are a British team. Certainly the best ever so we can be proud of that (if we're British).
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Pinno wrote:

You may rather but it is not the case in most other sports and certainly not the case in cycling in pretty much every other country.

The Italians like Nibali, Pantani, Vini Fantini, Pippo, Lampre-Merida because they are Italian...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,482
    edited May 2016
    I bet Wiggins would be portrayed as Belgian if he ever tested positive for drugs....not that he would of course....just saying.

Success has many fathers, failure is a bastard.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,944
    20130814-123042-129-283.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Slowmart wrote:
    I bet Wiggins would be portrayed as Belgian if he ever tested positive for drugs....not that he would have course....just saying.

"Ghent-born Bradley Wiggins who gave up the chance to ride for Belgium first considered doping whilst his Australian father fed him pear puree. All this however, was put on a back-burner until he'd won several Olympic Golds for Great Britain, then came the turning point when he joined a French team full of Johnny Foreigners..."
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    ddraver wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

You may rather but it is not the case in most other sports and certainly not the case in cycling in pretty much every other country.

The Italians like Nibali, Pantani, Vini Fantini, Pippo, Lampre-Merida because they are Italian...

I think Italians like Contador more than they like Pozzato... it's not just nationality... Contador rode the Giro in a very flamboyant way. Italians don't like Froome, but nobody likes Froome, not even you lot like Froome... Wiggins was respected but never liked, if you don't speak the language it's hard to be popular.
    Cancellara is hugely popular in Italy and not just because of his descents... Sagan is hugely popular too, he has been pretty much adopted.
    left the forum March 2023
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,482
    Joelsim wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    I bet Wiggins would be portrayed as Belgian if he ever tested positive for drugs....not that he would have course....just saying.

"Ghent-born Bradley Wiggins who gave up the chance to ride for Belgium first considered doping whilst his Australian father fed him pear puree. All this however, was put on a back-burner until he'd won several Olympic Golds for Great Britain, then came the turning point when he joined a French team full of Johnny Foreigners..."

Are you a red top "sports journalist" as you have a flair for creative writing?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    ...but nobody likes Froome, not even you lot like Froome...

I do.