how not to lose weight

2»

Comments

• bobmcstuff wrote:
    I was 88kg in Jan 2014! Then I started cycling a lot (rather than once a month or whatever) and was 75kg in Dec 2014 without too much difficulty. Then I did a similar effort as now (1000cal daily deficit) and made 69kg at the end of Feb 2015 which I maintained until May just by cycling a lot. Crept back up to 71-72kg over the summer, but then October-November I was away for work pretty much the whole time (hotel food and lack of exercise...) so was back to 75kg after that. Then with just a little more over Christmas and 76.5kg on the 5th of Jan...

So I am planning to get to my target weight again before the start of the cycling season proper, because I am considering entering some races/time trials this year if all goes well.

And you asked me to go out with you? I'll have to rely on my awesome powAr to keep up...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Haha, I didn't say I thought I was going to do well in these races/time trials (I don't)...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    72.5kg now so not much chance of being under 70 by end of February - but should be close.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    keef66 wrote:
    Another statuesque 5'6" here. Xmas 2014 saw me balloon to nearly 72kg, the heaviest I've ever been. 5:2 intermittent fasting got me down to 65kg quite easily, but Xmas 2015 put 2 kg back on. Now I'm trying to get down to 63kg which is where I think I should be for my height and build. Struggling to get in as much cycling as I'd like with the incessant wind and rain, and the ever increasing list of DIY jobs I have to do. The first kilo fell off, but now I'm stuck.

I think the intermittent fasting has made my body more efficient at storing fat whenever it encounters spare calories, so I suspect I'm going to have to be more careful on the eating days too.

Read up on intermittent fasting. 5-2 is not fasting as you are eating calories. It is calorie restriction. Try fasting every morning haven eaten your last meal the evening before. Aim for a 16-8 split of fasting/eating. There is no evidence that fasting will mean you retain more fat than normal.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    keef66 wrote:
    Another statuesque 5'6" here. Xmas 2014 saw me balloon to nearly 72kg, the heaviest I've ever been. 5:2 intermittent fasting got me down to 65kg quite easily, but Xmas 2015 put 2 kg back on. Now I'm trying to get down to 63kg which is where I think I should be for my height and build. Struggling to get in as much cycling as I'd like with the incessant wind and rain, and the ever increasing list of DIY jobs I have to do. The first kilo fell off, but now I'm stuck.

I think the intermittent fasting has made my body more efficient at storing fat whenever it encounters spare calories, so I suspect I'm going to have to be more careful on the eating days too.

5'6" here too and I'm still dreaming of 72kg ;). Currently at 77 having been at 85. I'm also aiming for 63kg as that's where I should be, it's a little on the high side if anything.

I've found the turbo training helps, but only a little, outside cycling at weekends has been limited as the weather is still crappy.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    For those who'd like to drop a bit...
    5:2 or 4:3 works well and is easy to follow as you don't have to live on rabbit food 7 days a week

fast 1, 2, 3 days spread across the week.

fast = 600kcal for man, 500kcal for woman (or if you know your exercise adjusted BMR go for 20-25%)
    following day have a high protein breakfast - e.g. eggs.

For the avg, not too chubby cyclist 5:2 will take about 1lb a week off. Some research suggests it helps increas Vo2Max and also prevention of loss of lean muscle mass, but I'm always skeptical about these claims as the subjects tend to be fatties in the studies.
  • markhewitt1978
    Hmm interesting. However given that I've been losing approx 1.5lb per week for the past two months I don't think I need to go down that route just yet.
  • Camcycle1974
    http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/fasting

Fasting as i said earlier in the thread is ingesting no calories for a given period of time. Eating 600 cal per day is not fasting, it is calorie restricting. Has it's benefits but not as effective as proper fasting. The easiest way to drop fat is to fast 16 hours from 8pm to 12pm the next day, eating and drinking no calories in that period. Tea/coffee with no milk and water are all fine. In my experience it is easy to drop 5kgs of fat in a month. Best combined with some form of weight training and a high protein diet to maintain lean body mass. The best resource on the web for this type of fasting is leangains.com.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Beer lots and lots of beer, start with something Belgian pref a triple then work up the proof scale from there.

Weight loss will be a thing of the past.... What was the question?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    Enter the Rapha 500 and think that the mileage provides a license to eat and drink what you want.

Cycle eat and eat some more. Ride 500km between Christmas Eve and New Years Eve and weigh yourself after.

Pi55 poor management and I'm still dismayed I weighed more after the challenge than before.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • diy
    I'd estimate it would only burn about 3 lb of fat.
  • diy

Fasting as i said earlier in the thread is ingesting no calories for a given period of time. Eating 600 cal per day is not fasting, it is calorie restricting. Has it's benefits but not as effective as proper fasting.

When I do it, I go without food until about 4pm, its just easier on no food than little food. I'd go longer, but then I'd struggle to train on fasting days.
  • Camcycle1974
    diy wrote:

Fasting as i said earlier in the thread is ingesting no calories for a given period of time. Eating 600 cal per day is not fasting, it is calorie restricting. Has it's benefits but not as effective as proper fasting.

When I do it, I go without food until about 4pm, its just easier on no food than little food. I'd go longer, but then I'd struggle to train on fasting days.

The eating window is flexible but as I always eat at work at 12pm I know when my fast will be. Nothing simpler than just skipping breakfast, rather than having to plan out a 600 cal meal day???? I also train in the afternoons so have a light lunch then eat the bulk of my calories post-workout. trains the body to be more efficient and run off fat stores.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    ADF plans are superb for short term trim downs. If you want to maintain the losses, you have to be very careful. It's really not as simple as eat less, move more.
  • markhewitt1978
    I've recently reached the conclusion that I don't *have* to eat loads just because I'm riding my bike. A porridge pot for breakfast is sufficient, I don't need a round of toast on top of that too. A cereal bar while I'm out riding is usually sufficient, and when I get back I don't have to have 10 bags of crisps and 15 cakes, a single bacon sandwich is enough.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I always thought skipping breakfast is one of the worst things you can do in that your body then stores fat?
    An example being my dad years ago. He would leave the house at 5am, not eat anything all day and then at 8pm have a dinner with 4 slices of bread and had a right gut on him. He honestly didnt eat anything else during the day either.

Not saying its linked but he eats more throughout the day, has cut out bread and is the leanest he has been since the running days of his 20's.
  • markhewitt1978
    AK_jnr wrote:
    I always thought skipping breakfast is one of the worst things you can do in that your body then stores fat?
    An example being my dad years ago. He would leave the house at 5am, not eat anything all day and then at 8pm have a dinner with 4 slices of bread and had a right gut on him. He honestly didnt eat anything else during the day either.

Not saying its linked but he eats more throughout the day, has cut out bread and is the leanest he has been since the running days of his 20's.

That's rather extreme! I'm surprised he didn't pass out, although it must have worked for him, effectively having just one meal per day?

I often do fasted turbo trainer rides of about an hour first thing in the morning, then I have breakfast after.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Sorry I meant he was fat when he ate once a day. He was a workaholic unfortunately and it didnt do him any good. Luckily he has relaxed a bit now and is a lot healthier.

I try and hop on the the turbo before breakfast if I get a chance, and then a structured workout in the evening.
  • diy
    I can go all day without food - no problem. Today for example, I'll be having 2 desert spoons of porridge (with water) at about 4pm, then I'll have a bowl of soup at about 9pm. The only reason I have the porridge, is I will be doing double spin class and low weight high rep training (les mills body pump).. The spin instructor is a decent cyclist and you can work pretty hard and I get a bit light headed in the last class if I haven't had 100kcal or so.

I can go up to about 2 hours hard on empty, but anything over that and I run out of steam pretty quick.

So far I've been drinking coffee with skimmed milk all day ~ 50kcal tops.

right now I'm buzzing with energy
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123

Fasting as i said earlier in the thread is ingesting no calories for a given period of time. Eating 600 cal per day is not fasting, it is calorie restricting. Has it's benefits but not as effective as proper fasting. The easiest way to drop fat is to fast 16 hours from 8pm to 12pm the next day, eating and drinking no calories in that period. Tea/coffee with no milk and water are all fine. In my experience it is easy to drop 5kgs of fat in a month. Best combined with some form of weight training and a high protein diet to maintain lean body mass. The best resource on the web for this type of fasting is leangains.com.

The way I do 5:2 is fasting. I generally eat nothing after 7pm, then on a fast day, nothing till say 18:30, so virtually 24 hours before I have my 600 cal meal. I find it far easier that I thought I would, and I've come to the conclusion that most food cravings and over-eating are simply habits.

How many calories in an easter egg??
  • markhewitt1978
    keef66 wrote:
    I find it far easier that I thought I would, and I've come to the conclusion that most food cravings and over-eating are simply habits.

That's very true. I've found that after I get the kids to bed sitting down and snacking is a normal thing and the biggest effort was getting out of that habit - I'm still not fully, I still come down and go straight to the fridge! I just don't always take anything out now!

I've asked for one smallish easter egg, but a nice one ;)

http://www.thorntons.co.uk/product/East ... 1/1803.uts Thorntons £10 egg, so I assume it's pretty big, wants to be for that price. 537kcal, which is more than a large evening meal.
  • Camcycle1974
    keef66 wrote:

The way I do 5:2 is fasting. I generally eat nothing after 7pm, then on a fast day, nothing till say 18:30, so virtually 24 hours before I have my 600 cal meal. I find it far easier that I thought I would, and I've come to the conclusion that most food cravings and over-eating are simply habits.

Fair enough, that is definitely fasting. Not the way most people do it though.

To the guy above, there is no way your dad got fat by fasting. He was probably snacking on junk foods like crisps/chocolate but not counting it as a meal. And no, your body does not "store fat" when you fast. Do some research on it. Just like 6 meals a day doesn't stoke up the metabolism. A fallacy made fact by the supplement industry.