An interesting combination

j_mcd
j_mcd Posts: 473
edited December 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi,

First venture over here, I usually live on the Road section. I'm looking to get a new mountain bike, standard hardtail with a reasonable spec but nothing too serious (I'm in Surrey not downhilling in the alps) and have a budget of about a grand (but will go a bit higher or lower). I've not owned a mountain bike in about 10 years so I have no idea about suitable forks and whether I should be going carbon or Alu.

Thing is, I'd like to be able to put a childs seat on it as well so I can take the boy to nursery without using the car. So, I guess it needs all the requisite eyelets etc that you attach a seat with.

Does this even exist or am I going to have to get a boring hybrid for child transporting duties and stick to the road at the weekend?!
Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
Planet X London Road - Wet
Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Many MTB's have eyelets on, though with a disc brake you'll find it hard to find a rack that will take the stress without some luck, or use a Seatpost mounted one.

Personally I'd suggest a decent HT and a hack bike from the classifieds to run the nipper around, or a trailer on the HT which is easier to attach and remove (a friend does that).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    You don't need any eyeles for a child seat, I use one that has a clamp that goes round seat tube, just need to make sure there is enough room which there should be on a hard tail, my FS doesn't have room for the clamp. Also makes it very easy to remove seat, just clips on and off. Mines a Hamax from Halfords but lots of different ones with the clamp.