pete read's black book training manual

13»

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I won't be in Manchester on 20th september next year, something might work out someone from round here might be able to pick me up.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Forget sportives will, they're for old blokes. Get racing. Plenty of time till next season starts.
  • stevewj
    stevewj Posts: 227
    andy162 wrote:

All his sessions are turbo based, no turbo...no point!

quote]
    Not so - I use the Black Book and have been following the road equivalents that he recommends as I hate the turbo for intervals. The 5 x half mile up slight incline in increasing gears is particularly good.
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    I have to go to the States for three weeks over Christmas. I *might* be able to borrow a bike while I'm out there, but probably not, and I definitely won't have a turbo.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could adapt the Black Book to fit this?

My plan was to shift everything forward so that I've finished December by the time I leave, and then just go from the beginning of January when I get back (although I will probably have put on about 20 lbs by then :oops: )
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    skut wrote:
    I have to go to the States for three weeks over Christmas. I *might* be able to borrow a bike while I'm out there, but probably not, and I definitely won't have a turbo.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could adapt the Black Book to fit this?

My plan was to shift everything forward so that I've finished December by the time I leave, and then just go from the beginning of January when I get back (although I will probably have put on about 20 lbs by then :oops: )

There must surely be a gym you can go to whilst there and use the exercise bike, better than nowt! Maybe even a spin class...
  • Ta Will for the little black book :wink:
  • Thanks for uploading this, I'm thinking of trying to follow it come November... in the mean time my cycling season is more or less over and I will be taking a break after this weekend then doing some cross training - circuits classes, playing tennis etc. probably still the odd bit of cycling but certainly no structured training.

I read the part about training the aerobic base with long L1 rides and shorter L2 rides. The following paragraph stuck out:

"While you are creating this all-important base it is essential that you do not
    become involved in any high intensity effort whatsoever. This means no
    sprinting, no racing with club mates and no hard circuit training in the gym.
    In fact don't to see your heart rate exceed the top of Level 2 even when
    climbing. To ensure this doesn't happen, I suggest you stay on flat or slightly
    undulating terrain for the time being. Any high heart rate training before the
    aerobic base is fully developed will simply cancel out the benefits so don't do
    it! The time will eventually come when I will want you to raise your effort but
    it isn't now)"

I wondered if any of you sports science types could perhaps elaborate on exactly why any high intensity work would cancel out the base training?

The reason I ask is that I'm considering taking part in a cross-training competition in late November (overlaping with my aerobic base development) which will more than likely push my HR out of L2 for a minute or two. Once it's over I would be concentrating only on cycling, but will I have irrepairably damaged any base built so far? My thinking is with a bit of recovery it should be alright, but what do I know!?
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    Thanks for the upload, Will.
  • freehub
    I'm worried it was a bad thing to upload this black book or even hand it out.
  • how come mate?
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • freehub
    Copywright?
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    Richard891 wrote:

I read the part about training the aerobic base with long L1 rides and shorter L2 rides. The following paragraph stuck out:

it isn't now)"

I wondered if any of you sports science types could perhaps elaborate on exactly why any high intensity work would cancel out the base training?

I'd also be interested in knowing why this is?
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    freehub wrote:
    Copywright?

I've just looked at my copy and there is no copyright text in there or anything about unauthorised reproduction. That's not to say that it shouldn't have been up loaded on the general principle of knowing it shouldn't have been done.
  • heard good things about the 'black book' and will have a read through it but i go with a good group of guys on winter training rides and there is no way i would stay out as long on my own as i do when riding with others, my brother gets trained by ann bowditch abcyclecoaching.com and some of what he does sounds much like what people have been describing here but he has not improved anywhere enar as much as most of the people i train with, we basically spend winter doing long rides at weekends with power and a few speed sessions mid week then in season race twice a week and do some intervals and a rock hard chain gang
  • freehub
    oxoneil wrote:
    freehub wrote:
    Copywright?

I've just looked at my copy and there is no copyright text in there or anything about unauthorised reproduction. That's not to say that it shouldn't have been up loaded on the general principle of knowing it shouldn't have been done.

I did not know it should not have being done, I never thought tbh, I just emailed it then uploaded it to RS to avoid millions and billions of emails/
  • skut wrote:
    Richard891 wrote:

it isn't now)"

I'd also be interested in knowing why this is?

I think he's just warding people off from going silly through winter. However not all high intensity work should be ruled out. Intervals are essential.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • It must be to do with adaptations the body makes to training loads. Long steady distance uses certain muscle fibres and energy sources more than others and mixing up a ride with harder efforts will prevent this occuring. It also allows you to do long rides without overloading your body too much at a time when you should be builiding a base more than ripping down your body in an effort to make it rebuild itself - my understanding anyway.
    I can understand the idea on an individual session level but why you shouldn't have hard sessions at other times during the week Ive no idea.
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    If the book isn't published or sold anymore then I wouldn't have thought you're doing anything wrong.

Perhaps remove it from rapidshare if you are concerned, just to keep yourself right.
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Bit of a bump (which might be a good thing as it's November and the training plan started at the beginning of this month, so you can probably still start tomorrow and do okay!) but I just read this,

"I've contacted Pete Read himself and he doesn't publish it anymore, he's suggested finding and borrowing it from a cyclist who has it in their posession."
  • Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of a copy of the blue book? Either soft or hard copy...
  • Stuntman
    Stuntman Posts: 267
    Blue book anyone?
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition
  • SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Gutted can't get this anymore :-(

If anyone can help or send me a copy please email me at

dean_avfc@yahoo.co.uk
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would also be appreciative if I could be emailed it hutchy200 @ hotmail.com
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Brilliant, a 4 year old thread resurrected
  • Yes can't believe my original post has surfaced after so long.

I have the blue book soft copy. Well half of it is still rough sans but the important bit, the second half of the book looks good.
  • Thread resurrection again. I assume replacing the 'turbo' sessions with gym bike sessions is going to give similar results ?
  • As well as the above it would be good to hear from anyone who has also trained with this book recently, how did you find it. Did you do any other form of training with it in terms of strength training etc ?