Lights thread

Mark__gti
Mark__gti Posts: 177
edited September 2015 in Commuting chat
I've noticed a few lights threads appearing now it's starting to get a bit darker in the mornings.

Thought it would be interesting to see what lights people are using and what lights people recommend.

I cycle on unlit country roads and use a Gemini Olympia with a hope qr mount

olympia-5_a7636b00-7c65-429b-a475-b4ce9e6b96b4_large.jpg?v=1382572139
hope-handle-bar-mount-vision-led-light-spare-mounting-bracket-2716-p.jpg

Battery wise i have a 2 cell and 4 cell pack which i can remove the cells from.

IMG_20150818_202232_zpsleuz7iub.jpg

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    edited August 2015
    exposure strada on the bars
    exposure joystick and red eye on helmet
    exposure traceR on the seat post

i also carry as back up a front moon and a lezyne small round flashing thing.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Two Philips SafeRide 80s fore and a Moon Shield 60 plus Planet X smart R1 knockoff aft.

(Dynamo on t'other bike)
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    On my winter bike, I have a a Shimano DH-3N72 hub dynamo, powering a Philips Saferide 60 front light, and a Philips Saferide Lumiring rear light.

Bright enough lighting to have no problems going through Richmond Park on a cloudless, moonless night, and no batteries to worry about.

Currently thinking about installing a dynamo setup on the Fixed too, so I can use that in the winter. Have a spare dynamo front wheel, but the only spare dynamo lights I've got are incandescent, which are a bit rubbish, compared to modern LED ones.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506

+1.

Although my rear light is an Exposure Flare. Got clipped from behind by the wing-mirror of an old boy who hadn't seen me at all (clear road)...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    On my winter bike, I have a a Shimano DH-3N72 hub dynamo, powering a Philips Saferide 60 front light, and a Philips Saferide Lumiring rear light.

Bright enough lighting to have no problems going through Richmond Park on a cloudless, moonless night, and no batteries to worry about.

Currently thinking about installing a dynamo setup on the Fixed too, so I can use that in the winter. Have a spare dynamo front wheel, but the only spare dynamo lights I've got are incandescent, which are a bit rubbish, compared to modern LED ones.
    Doesn't matter, cars can hear your brakes coming from a mile away anyway, so you probably don't need the lights ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    That's not a lights thread.
    blog-dundee.jpg
    This is a lights thread
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Doesn't matter, cars can hear your brakes coming from a mile away anyway, so you probably don't need the lights ;)

You may have a point there lol!
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930

Battery wise i have a 2 cell and 4 cell pack which i can remove the cells from.

IMG_20150818_202232_zpsleuz7iub.jpg

A little OT, but where did you get those battery holders, and do the have the discharge protection built in?
    Cheers
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,341
    Pretty much covers it for me too. Tried the Lezyne helmet light with rear that came with the magazine subscription last year, prefer the Joystick.
  • A old Fenix torch which is mainly back up, and a Knog road 3 which has a nice wide beam, plus a low/dip for the urban bits.

And a Exposure Flare rear.

The knog has enought to ride down country lanes though only a hour or so.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I read a post here in the Spring by a member who worked in battery manufacture/development about how best to avoid trashing your batteries by bad charging practices; cannot find that post again and forgotten the take home lesson. Repost would be great now that we are all getting to time of year that makes lights essential
  • edrobbin
    edrobbin Posts: 173
    Exposure Race on the bars, Blaze on the back and Diablo up top. Got the ickle Red Eye thing on the back of the Diablo.

Probably a bit OTT for Waterloo - Hammersith, but why not?

Ed
    Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    AyUps up front. Can't remember what's on the back

Vis360 on the lid (front and rear)

Also use a Philips Saferide 80 which is very good - if a bit heavy.

And Lezyne Femtos around Amsterdam.

I'm sure light requirements are often dependent upon people's low-light perception. I've never needed anything more than the AyUps on the darkest, crappiests, wettest Highland roads at good speeds. The Vis360 allows me to be seen over hedges and brows.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,756

Better hope you don't land on the top of your lid where your lights are!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Up front:
    Knog Ghekko on the headtube, Exposure Sirrius on the bars, Lezyne Dual Drive Pro Cycling sub gift on my helmet

Bringing up the rear:

PX Moon Shield 60 on the seatpost, FibreFlare on my helmet, PDW Fender light on the mudguard and Smart R1 on the rack and a FibreFlare micro swinging from the pannier bag.

Lights are needed year round for me as I finish work at 22:00.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

Better hope you don't land on the top of your lid where your lights are!

The front light is very small and the rear light/battery pack is broad and flat. Given the route, I'm much less likely to need any benefit my lid might confer if the cars can see me early...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Front: Exposure Diablo and Trace
    Rear: Hope District+ and Exposure TraceR
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    I read a post here in the Spring by a member who worked in battery manufacture/development about how best to avoid trashing your batteries by bad charging practices; cannot find that post again and forgotten the take home lesson. Repost would be great now that we are all getting to time of year that makes lights essential

This one? http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=13027439&p=19687396#p19687396
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716

This one? http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=13027439&p=19687396#p19687396

Thanks
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    yep ditto where did you get those battery cases from?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Not been on the bike since ride 100. Riding tomorrow across London. What are current "safe" times to be out without lights?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Stag on
    Stag on Posts: 99
    Depends on whether it is tipping down with rain.

0630 to 1930 or so at the minute I'd say.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Ay-ups on the front for me for rural riding. Flare on the rear.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Mark__gti
    Mark__gti Posts: 177
    The 2 cell battery case is a Fenix BA4C and the 4 cell is the old style Pannovo/Solarstorm battery case without the USB connector.
  • Sooraj
    Sooraj Posts: 3
    Hey,

I'm looking for a commuter bag or a jacket, which has Lights on it - cool enough to enhance my visibility, and at the same time which can make a cool statement on the road! Not able to narrow down a good option.

Any suggestions you guys have on options you have come across, kindly do let me know. Hope I can find out something this season itself.

Have a great day there.

Thanks,
    Sooraj
  • New mount arrived for my light today

IMG_20150901_165032_zpsgcghuztm.jpg

IMG_20150901_165122_zpsklnn8kwb.jpg#

Just need to order one of these so i can mount it under my Garmin

k13-505c-blk_gopro1_sm_2.jpg
  • Hey,

wanted to check, if there is a good backpack out there, which has built-in lights. I'm looking for something with a cycle logo (preferably) on it, which would light up (probably using a battery in the bag).

I was thinking about a jacket, but then made up my mind for a backpack which I can use for commute in the city, independent of the weather conditions.

Please let me know, if you have an options in mind. Or, any ideas also welcome.

Hope to hear soon.

Thanks,
    Sooraj
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Hey,

wanted to check, if there is a good backpack out there, which has built-in lights. I'm looking for something with a cycle logo (preferably) on it, which would light up (probably using a battery in the bag).

I was thinking about a jacket, but then made up my mind for a backpack which I can use for commute in the city, independent of the weather conditions.

Hope to hear soon.

Thanks,
    Sooraj

Do you need a cycle logo? It'd be a poor light, and surely they'll realise you're on a bike by seeing you on a bike...

Another option would be to get a decent backpack with a strap for a light on it. Then get a decent light.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Hey,

Hope to hear soon.

Thanks,
    Sooraj

Get a fibre flare from Evans. Half price. Hang it on the rucksack
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.