Lights thread

2»

Comments

• Another nod for the Philips SafeRide 80, my commute is 10 miles of unlit country A & B roads and it's fantastic. Got it on sale from one of the German sites but would happily pay RRP.
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • Cateye 400 at 53 quid on Wiggle worth a go? I really don't want to spend "Exposure" kind of money for a set of lights
    left the forum March 2023
  • Cateye 400 at 53 quid on Wiggle worth a go? I really don't want to spend "Exposure" kind of money for a set of lights

Looks good, neat light. Assuming it's a upgrade of the 300 since it's not on Cateye's website etc.
  • New mount arrived for my light today

IMG_20150901_165032_zpsgcghuztm.jpg

IMG_20150901_165122_zpsklnn8kwb.jpg#

Just need to order one of these so i can mount it under my Garmin

k13-505c-blk_gopro1_sm_2.jpg

Looks like a nice solution. Can I ask where you got the mount?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Cateye 400 at 53 quid on Wiggle worth a go? I really don't want to spend "Exposure" kind of money for a set of lights

Got the Sirius Mk4 for £81 from Tredz (have to find the code used) but I can't say if its better than the Cateye. It does have decent run times, its likely worth a go.

p.s. if you use Tredz you'll get the Cateye for £49 with a spend £50 get £5 off code.
  • Deca Drive at Sport Pursuit possibly the best "bang for buck" of the established brands at the moment.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Can anyone recommend a light that mounts on the rear seatstay? I use a saddlebag, so can't mount a light on the seatpost. I've got a clip on light that goes on the saddlebag, but it faces downwards, and fell off going over a speedbump this morning, making it pretty useless.

I guess a Fibre Flare is an option, but I've had one before that failed very quickly due to poor water sealing, and I was never that impressed by the light it gave out.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • Can anyone recommend a light that mounts on the rear seatstay? I use a saddlebag, so can't mount a light on the seatpost. I've got a clip on light that goes on the saddlebag, but it faces downwards, and fell off going over a speedbump this morning, making it pretty useless.

I guess a Fibre Flare is an option, but I've had one before that failed very quickly due to poor water sealing, and I was never that impressed by the light it gave out.

I had a Smart half-watt for a number of years that had a the seat-stay option.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Can anyone recommend a light that mounts on the rear seatstay? I use a saddlebag, so can't mount a light on the seatpost. I've got a clip on light that goes on the saddlebag, but it faces downwards, and fell off going over a speedbump this morning, making it pretty useless.

The small Smart mounts struggle with skinny steel seat tubes but would probably pack out ok. I've got a couple spare as I tend to use the larger seat post mount if you want to try one.

The small Smart mounts struggle with skinny steel seat tubes but would probably pack out ok. I've got a couple spare as I tend to use the larger seat post mount if you want to try one.

That's a kind offer - I may very well take you up on it. Slender seatstays have always been a problem in the past with this kind of light (I've got a Lidl one somewhere). The other option is a mudguard mounted light, if I can find one. My Philips Lumiring is mounted on a bracket on my mudguard on my Dawes Galaxy, and this seems to work quite well (except for the fact that the mudguard has now cracked in that area, after only 1 winter's commuting)
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Can anyone recommend a light that mounts on the rear seatstay? I use a saddlebag, so can't mount a light on the seatpost. I've got a clip on light that goes on the saddlebag, but it faces downwards, and fell off going over a speedbump this morning, making it pretty useless.

I have just found that my lezyne microdrives fit in an old fizzy tab tube very very snuggly - cut out hole for light switch, taped the bit of tube to pannier rack, jammed in light, and so far so good
  • Could anyone recommend a replacement battery pack for my magicshine mj-872? I think the original was on its way out at the end of the last year so it is time to get organised for this year's evening rides.

Are there better/cheaper options than the replacement Magicshine MJ-6038 7.4V 4.4Ah or am I better opting for the MJ-6036 6.6Ah (I will also need to the adapter)?

Thanks

That's a kind offer - I may very well take you up on it. Slender seatstays have always been a problem in the past with this kind of light (I've got a Lidl one somewhere). The other option is a mudguard mounted light, if I can find one. My Philips Lumiring is mounted on a bracket on my mudguard on my Dawes Galaxy, and this seems to work quite well (except for the fact that the mudguard has now cracked in that area, after only 1 winter's commuting)

Meh, just wrap a thin length of rubber round the stay and it attaches just fine. Doesn't damage the paintwork that way, either. That's what I did with the Equilibrium.