Stage 9 Giro d'Italia 2015 *SPOILERS*

1235»

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I think this talk of Aru being out of it after the time trial is a slight misnomer. I'd expect him to finish somewhere around 15-20th place and concede no more than 2 and a half minutes to the winner, maybe 90 seconds to Bertie and 2 minutes to Titchy Richie

He lost almost 3 minutes to Uran last year, and that was over 42km not 60km.

So I can definitely see Porte taking 2 and a half minutes out of him unless he has improved his TT ability dramatically. To be fair last year a lot of his time loss stemmed from his hopeless pacing. He went off like a bull in a china shop and then suffered for the next 30km. So a simple thing like getting more experience at pacing his effort could help a lot. If he's in the same kind of form as the rest of the Astana squad then who knows.....

But I also agree with Rich that Contador will turn in a pretty decent TT. I doubt he'll lose more than 30 seconds on Porte and may even beat him on a good day.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,657
    Milton50 wrote:
    I think this talk of Aru being out of it after the time trial is a slight misnomer. I'd expect him to finish somewhere around 15-20th place and concede no more than 2 and a half minutes to the winner, maybe 90 seconds to Bertie and 2 minutes to Titchy Richie

He lost almost 3 minutes to Uran last year, and that was over 42km not 60km.

So I can definitely see Porte taking 2 and a half minutes out of him unless he has improved his TT ability dramatically. To be fair last year a lot of his time loss stemmed from his hopeless pacing. He went off like a bull in a china shop and then suffered for the next 30km. So a simple thing like getting more experience at pacing his effort could help a lot. If he's in the same kind of form as the rest of the Astana squad then who knows.....

But I also agree with Rich that Contador will turn in a pretty decent TT. I doubt he'll lose more than 30 seconds on Porte and may even beat him on a good day.

So you agree with me then ;) I'm saying it will be:

Porte
    Contador + 30s
    Aru + 2m

This talk of him being 'out of it' by Sunday morning is wide of the mark, in my opinion
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    It depends what you mean by out of it I suppose. If he's 2 minutes down then Aru will still be in with a shot but 99 times out of 100 Contador will be able to defend that lead (barring mechanical/crashes).
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    ok suspicions left right and centre but Aru is the sort of new champion we all want

4cf7af79fa4f2a7db3e086792b653651.jpg
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,341
    ok suspicions left right and centre but Aru is the sort of new champion we all want

When we finally get the BR Pro-Race Forum Donkey Sanctuary up and running we have to name one Aru....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    He's an exciting rider and will help to fill the void Contador will leave when he retires. With the scrutiny Astana are under at the moment, he must be clean surely? The days of crooked UCI members covering up hopefully left us with fat Pat.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,750
    If Aru wins 3 MTFs and loses less than 2 minutes to Porte and Contador in the TT I really will be going all Clinic!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

He will never live this down though...

Borat.jpg

...Saying that, Contador's done worse...

albertos-dog.jpg?w=250
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    SPTDW3056.jpg

SPTDW3065.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Not sure what stage this was but Graham Watson said Paolini had to stop from 60km/h to 0 after break failure:
    CFEQ0FvWoAAjy1x.jpg:large
    Is that rear wheel going flat.?
    On the Track without any brakes we used our Hands/Mits to slow the pace down.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Tubular burnt down with the friction.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    hammerite wrote:
    First week in a 3 week tour and he's riding so as not to lose the race. Plenty of time for him to try and win the race when he needs to. No, it might not be entertaining, but I don't think many of us expected the main protagonists to be so attacking in the first week.
    I agree.
    The OP states Stage 9, FFS and for the 1st Rest Day, this forum bitches about trivial things that might happen when the race gets into the Dolomites for the real memorable "GIRO" to begin.
    This is the difference of Giro and TDF every year where the 3 week endurance is more so in week 3 of the "GIRO" and week one is only the stages to not loose the race. :arrow: (like an Italian showed them at the TDF)

In earlier years the Italians would gang up on foreigners, as they did so with Indurain when Gianni Bugno escaped during his first year and they wouldn't give any help. So for 5 km's Indurain pulled him back and another rider attacked.
    2 years later they sorted him out with the Italian Gewiss-Ballan team.
    These days they have more International riders in their teams and so far, of 9 stages there are 5 wins to either an Italian rider or Italian Team.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972