Stage 9 Giro d'Italia 2015 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    sjmclean wrote:
    Amazing that Hesjedal won the Giro really when he can't even win a stage like this from the breakaway.

That was 3 years ago, not all riders hold GT winning form into their 30's. It was also hardly against the best of the best.
    My man Contador looks totally at ease and retains the leaders jersey.

Porte on the other hand is a complete disgrace. Sucks more wheels then mudflaps. Gives 0 viewing pleasure the fans. If all riders were like him there would be no incentive to turn the tv on.

Landa, great domestique. Looks like first proper mountain then Contador is going to bury Porte - he probably would have today had his friend Tiralongo not been riding for the win. Good job Kreuziger is not Tinkoff's leader as he is not on top form this Giro.

What nonsense.
    Contador says he is worried about the stage 14 ITT, which is 59km long and he doesn’t know if he can hold the aero bars for that long.

his iHe's lied about njury as an excuse, he's lying about this.

Quite agree, ready made excuse for when he gets his sorry ass kicked. What a whinger, no class whatsoever. True champions admit when they simply dont have the legs and are beaten by a better rider.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Not sure what stage this was but Graham Watson said Paolini had to stop from 60km/h to 0 after break failure:

CFEQ0FvWoAAjy1x.jpg:large

Reminds me of doing my paper round as a kid, stuff was always breaking on the bike and I rarely repaired anything. Employed this braking method many times, as well as perfecting my flying dismount.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    philwint wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Astana have big investigation for doping, UCI want them thrown out the world tour and now they are racing the giro like its nothing. Think it's clear to everyone they're using better "training methods". What a joke! This team really shouldn't be allowed near any bike race.

Whatever has happened in the past i think you make a very good argument for Astana being currently clean.

I doubt there are many teams (if any) under as much scrutiny at the moment!

7 Astana riders finished, when Uran and the other hopefuls crossed the line.
    Yup. seems legit.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    hammerite wrote:
    Not sure what stage this was but Graham Watson said Paolini had to stop from 60km/h to 0 after break failure:

CFEQ0FvWoAAjy1x.jpg:large

Reminds me of doing my paper round as a kid, stuff was always breaking on the bike and I rarely repaired anything. Employed this braking method many times, as well as perfecting my flying dismount.
    Scary stuff, I wonder what caused the failure? I don't trust carbon braking surfaces to be honest but I thought Mavics had some metal actually in between the carbon layers to disperse the heat (So the Mavic rep told me anyway)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    To my eye Valverde wheelsucks an awful lot but FF seems to have a massive stiffy for him. I don't get it...

Can only assume FF is like a cycling version of a hipster in that he doesn't like things if other people might like them.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    philwint wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Astana have big investigation for doping, UCI want them thrown out the world tour and now they are racing the giro like its nothing. Think it's clear to everyone they're using better "training methods". What a joke! This team really shouldn't be allowed near any bike race.

Whatever has happened in the past i think you make a very good argument for Astana being currently clean.

Yup. seems legit.

It's not a big deal. They have a very strong team and have actually turned up to race and help their leader be as aggressive as possible. Some of the other teams should take note. Nothing like a good dose of motivation of nearly losing your WT spot. Feel sorry for Uran as it seems he is racing this Giro by himself.

ASTANA 6
    CANNONDALE - GARMIN 4
    MOVISTAR 4
    AG2R LA MONDIALE 3
    BARDIANI CSF 3
    FDJ 3
    SKY 3
    BMC RACING 2
    IAM CYCLING 2
    KATUSHA 2
    LAMPRE - MERIDA 2
    LOTTO SOUDAL 2
    TINKOFF - SAXO 2
    CCC SPRANDI POLKOWICE 1
    ETIXX - QUICK STEP 1
    GIANT - ALPECIN 1
    LOTTO NL - JUMBO 1
    NIPPO - VINI FANTINI 1
    ORICA GreenEDGE 1
    SOUTHEAST 1
    TREK FACTORY RACING 1
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    hammerite wrote:
    I don't think many of us expected the main protagonists to be so attacking in the first week.

Speak for yourself.

This is the Giro and Aru and Contador are racing.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Hmm...anyone manage to count the number of "incredible" and "unbelievable" comments in the commentary?
    I haven't counted them but one that stood out for me was "Astana's domination of this first week of the Giro d'Italia has been nothing short of incredible". I detect an undertone of scepticism in Rob Hatch's commentary... :)

It's a shame that Slagter didn't win the stage today, he always looks so good on the bike - even when he's been dropped.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    hammerite wrote:
    I don't think many of us expected the main protagonists to be so attacking in the first week.

Speak for yourself.

when did contador attack? or is he excused and can just follow wheels for now?

aru is attacking so often because he's desperate. although i wouldn't be surprised to see him win the tt given the amazing transformations these astana riders can make in a few weeks :?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    hammerite wrote:

Speak for yourself.

How many times has Contador attacked so far? I make it once, and Porte has had a dig after one of Aru's attacks so that makes them about the same.

Looks like Porte is racing just fine to me, we'll see who has that pink jersey next Sunday.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    So. My man Tiralongo wins - always a true fan of the sport happy moment. My man Aru launches the hostilities at 14km out - has provided a lot of viewing pleasure this week. My man Contador looks totally at ease and retains the leaders jersey.

The last person to have this many men was the Grand Old Duke of York.

:lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Just watching Giro Extra, it's sometimes awkward telly but Flecha always looks so happy to be there that he makes up for it! Interesting point raised that Sky might not have been too prominent at the front as they don't need to be - they could be saving themselves for the work they will need to do in the final week. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out given that Astana are basically doing the exact opposite and are happy to burn riders and get stage wins.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,029
    philwint wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Yup. seems legit.

It's not a big deal. They have a very strong team and have actually turned up to race and help their leader be as aggressive as possible. Some of the other teams should take note. Nothing like a good dose of motivation of nearly losing your WT spot. Feel sorry for Uran as it seems he is racing this Giro by himself.

ASTANA 6
    CANNONDALE - GARMIN 4
    MOVISTAR 4
    AG2R LA MONDIALE 3
    BARDIANI CSF 3
    FDJ 3
    SKY 3
    BMC RACING 2
    IAM CYCLING 2
    KATUSHA 2
    LAMPRE - MERIDA 2
    LOTTO SOUDAL 2
    TINKOFF - SAXO 2
    CCC SPRANDI POLKOWICE 1
    ETIXX - QUICK STEP 1
    GIANT - ALPECIN 1
    LOTTO NL - JUMBO 1
    NIPPO - VINI FANTINI 1
    ORICA GreenEDGE 1
    SOUTHEAST 1
    TREK FACTORY RACING 1

It might also be worth noting that Astana do not race in the ToC so resources are focused on Italy. Other teams are committed to both races. Also, there are as many Italians as Kazakhs in the squad, so this is a big race for them.
    Of course they are going to show up!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Porte's riding a confident race, assuming he believes in his TT. He could be in pink by a margin after the TT. Big psychological battle with Contador coming up.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    thegibdog wrote:
    Hmm...anyone manage to count the number of "incredible" and "unbelievable" comments in the commentary?
    I haven't counted them but one that stood out for me was "Astana's domination of this first week of the Giro d'Italia has been nothing short of incredible". I detect an undertone of scepticism in Rob Hatch's commentary... :)

I heard this today from Hatch and it definitely was tinged with "I think these guys might be a bit too good to be true". He pulled a stealthy "Greg Henderson".

Aru is going remarkably well for a guy who was laid up with a serious enough sickness not too long ago. I hope all the doubters (me included) are proven wrong but the anecdotal evidence would suggest otherwise at the moment. If Astana are still ripping everyone's legs off in Week 3, it'll be difficult not to think they are dodgy.

DD.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    thegibdog wrote:
    Just watching Giro Extra, it's sometimes awkward telly but Flecha always looks so happy to be there that he makes up for it! Interesting point raised that Sky might not have been too prominent at the front as they don't need to be - they could be saving themselves for the work they will need to do in the final week. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out given that Astana are basically doing the exact opposite and are happy to burn riders and get stage wins.

Astana may be happy to fire bullets now to get Aru in the pink jersey. He might be struggling to contend for a podium spot after the monster TT. The lumpy terrain may also take more toll on the purer mountain domestiques than classical high mountain stages.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    hammerite wrote:

Speak for yourself.

No need to speak for myself, my comment is based on the gauging of many contributions I've read on each day's spoiler threads on here.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    So. My man Tiralongo wins - always a true fan of the sport happy moment. My man Aru launches the hostilities at 14km out - has provided a lot of viewing pleasure this week. My man Contador looks totally at ease and retains the leaders jersey.

Porte on the other hand is a complete disgrace. Sucks more wheels then mudflaps. Gives 0 viewing pleasure the fans. If all riders were like him there would be no incentive to turn the tv on.

Landa, great domestique. Looks like first proper mountain then Contador is going to bury Porte - he probably would have today had his friend Tiralongo not been riding for the win. Good job Kreuziger is not Tinkoff's leader as he is not on top form this Giro.

Great first week as can be expected with the Tour. Good times.

The only disgrace here is your man, unrepentant dope cheat Contador.
  • frenchfighter
    333-520.jpg
    400-522.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    333-520.jpg

Richie: "Does it hurt if I press here Alberto?"
    Correlation is not causation.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    333-520.jpg

If he'd done that to Cadel Evans the response would have been very different...
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    what happened to the aggregation of marginal gains

Toblerones number is flapping about like sail in the Sydney Hobart
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395
    333-520.jpg

Richie: "Does it hurt if I press here Alberto?"

Bertie: "No it's fi..., sorry, no, no, I mean, jesus Ritchie, don't you know I'm in massive pain and had a double dislocation..." :roll:
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    what happened to the aggregation of marginal gains

Toblerones number is flapping about like sail in the Sydney Hobart

it happened on one of the mountain finishes as well. it's too much of a coincidence, there must be somethign to it. more downforce equals more rear wheel grip?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    I think this talk of Aru being out of it after the time trial is a slight misnomer. I'd expect him to finish somewhere around 15-20th place and concede no more than 2 and a half minutes to the winner, maybe 90 seconds to Bertie and 2 minutes to Titchy Richie
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I think this talk of Aru being out of it after the time trial is a slight misnomer. I'd expect him to finish somewhere around 15-20th place and concede no more than 2 and a half minutes to the winner, maybe 90 seconds to Bertie and 2 minutes to Titchy Richie
    He may be able to get it back from Porte, but if he gives 90 seconds to Contador then it's probably over for him (barring injury/illness). Contador is as good a defensive rider as there is in the peloton. Look at him defending a minute over Froome in the Vuelta.

I think he may TT better than some expect though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    Perhaps, and I agree about Contador being good defensively, but 3 MTF stage wins taking 10 seconds a time is a minute back straight away.

Clearly it's not as simplistic as that, but they've been fighting for every second so far so I wouldn't be surprised to see Astana play some left field tactics to test his defensive riding to the hilt
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Perhaps, and I agree about Contador being good defensively, but 3 MTF stage wins taking 10 seconds a time is a minute back straight away.

Clearly it's not as simplistic as that, but they've been fighting for every second so far so I wouldn't be surprised to see Astana play some left field tactics to test his defensive riding to the hilt

Am I missing something? :?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:

Am I missing something? :?
    Including bonerfications (assuming Contador not in top 3)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    With time bonuses (I'm assuming Contador finishes at best fourth when Aru wins)

As I say not as simple as that, but my point is around time bonuses, they even competed a sprint the other day, then Fabio clipped away for a second yesterday.

Wouldn't surprise me if Astana try and break it up on the road into Imola