Paris-Nice **SPOILERS**

1131415161719»

Comments

• Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    "I'm really in the best form of my life right now," said Porte, who is five kilograms lighter than last year. "This is massive to win for the second time a race you'd been watching and to do it twice. I had a hellish season last year but I'm back. It's great for my confidence ahead of the Giro. I know I'll have a great team to support me. I'm doing Volta a Catalunya, Giro del Trentino then the Giro."

I like a rider who throws down a challenge... I'm riding these races now who's with me? Go Ritchie! :mrgreen:
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    RichN95 wrote:
    Is Porte not a similar build to Contador?
    Wiki figures (not accurate but ballpark):

Contador: 1.76m, 62kg
    Porte: 1.72m, 62kg

I think there are a few who seem to be getting all excited about and perhaps suggesting that Porte is a potential GC category rider given the twiglet legs/weight comparisons and apparent TTing ability?!

Not on your nelly.

Ok, I'll throw this one out there: Porte would have won the 2013 Tour if Froome hadn't been there.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Milton50 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

I think there are a few who seem to be getting all excited about and perhaps suggesting that Porte is a potential GC category rider given the twiglet legs/weight comparisons and apparent TTing ability?!

Not on your nelly.

Ok, I'll throw this one out there: Porte would have won the 2013 Tour if Froome hadn't been there.

I've always assumed he was one of those SKY riders who lack the killer instinct and, despite the criticisms, are happier being helpers than leaders. Maybe his recent form has changed that.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Yellow Peril and oldbazza have Gallopin as 'my man'. Happy days for those two :D

Yep enjoyed watching(esp after De Gent getting caught at the death previously) that but didn't think he had enough of a gap for the TT;presume he just went for the stage win and didn't think he'd get in to yellow.
    Fair play to Porte and for an Aussie(ok Tasmanian) he's pretty unassuming and like to see him do well for the rest of the season.

Oh and Sky should really let Geraint off the leash more often,he's gotta have a classic/monument win in him.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Milton50 wrote:
    That's a respectable point of view. Fellow riders fear Froome and ride accordingly. I don't think this holds for Porte and so the racing would change. But he was certainly physically up for it.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Not sure why Thor was there yesterday?
    photo by Kare
    ZUPER-27078.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Doesn't he live in Monaco? Thor that is.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    045-IMG_0937.jpg
    055-IMG_1116.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    That's a magnificent Martin x-ray.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Class from Porte, speaks well too, I like him. Geraint put in a solid ride too. Galopin looked like he had a fair few KG to spare in that skinsuit :D

Apparently Wiggins still holds the record up there though, yesterdays weather not gunna give a fast time but Brad was flying that year.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,818
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Contador is heavier than that and Porte said the other day he lost 3kg since Oz (incredible) so he is now 59kg.
    I wouldn't trust any rider's reported weight (or their reported power). But Contador & Porte probably aren't too different. With regard to your original comment about 59kg TTers - Contador is definitely closer to Porte in weight than he is to GC Wiggins or even Froome.

Wiki's weights are totally unreliable.
    Becky's is 4 years old and 6kgs out, in the unflattering direction.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Milton50 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Not on your nelly.

Depends on whether Froome had been on holiday with Valverde, in which case Quintana would have won...
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    And people still think Nibali would have won the TDF last year with bertie and froome there? LOL dream on.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    okgo wrote:
    And people still think Nibali would have won the TDF last year with bertie and froome there? LOL dream on.

erm, they were there, they fell off.

Regarding Porte, he's friendlier and more approachable than Froome that's for sure.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    okgo wrote:
    I Do, because the team Strategy was so much better.
    They put the pressure on with the stage 2 strategy and that pressure paid dividends with the other contenders unable to understand the problem and how to solve it.
    They were so engrossed in their short term problems that they made stupid mistakes to loose.
    Those mistakes could have happened again as Nibali only had to sit back and watch, as he had practiced in the Dauphine Race a month earlier.
    Brilliant.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    davidof wrote:
    okgo wrote:

Regarding Porte, he's friendlier and more approachable than Froome that's for sure.

Is it?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    045-IMG_0937.jpg

He has such narrow shoulders.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    davidof wrote:
    okgo wrote:

Really, I would say Froome appears to be one of the friendlier and most approachable guys in the peleton.
  • Macaloon
    deejay wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    I Do, because the team Strategy was so much better...
    Brilliant.
    People forget that the Godfather sat back and watched Contador and Froome wreck their form at the Dauphiné. It was a superb display of self-confidence, and also the only way he could win. Brains > brawn.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Macaloon wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    I Do, because the team Strategy was so much better...
    Brilliant.
    People forget that the Godfather sat back and watched Contador and Froome wreck their form at the Dauphiné. It was a superb display of self-confidence, and also the only way he could win. Brains > brawn.

are you suggesting he paid the europcar rider to ram froome off his bike on stage 4? :shock:
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Not sure why Thor was there yesterday?
    photo by Kare
    ZUPER-27078.jpg

Judging by the kit he has on possibly promoting the race/drumming up sponsorship.
  • Macaloon
    gsk82 wrote:
    are you suggesting he paid the europcar rider to ram froome off his bike on stage 4? :shock:
    * :D Fathomless depth to this sport.' Gun to head' time, I'd have to say: Vino, in the Conservatory, with the Candelabara.

*Odds-on this post fails to address the central question, but who gives a farq?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,374
    Milton50 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Not on your nelly.

You see what you've done? :roll:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Erm, no?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    On those sky crashes - think it's now well known they've put the blame down on too high a pressure in their tyres.

Been thinking about this for a while. Firstly, vindicates a lot of my tyre chat on the club run...but more importantly;

a) how do they not have the experience in the team to get that right?

b) if it's a wet Roubaix, you'd better hope they get the pressures right. It's important enough in the dry in Roubaix, but wet, pfffft.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,374
    On those sky crashes - think it's now well known they've put the blame down on too high a pressure in their tyres.

Been thinking about this for a while. Firstly, vindicates a lot of my tyre chat on the club run...but more importantly;

a) how do they not have the experience in the team to get that right?

b) if it's a wet Roubaix, you'd better hope they get the pressures right. It's important enough in the dry in Roubaix, but wet, pfffft.

Maybe they are practising their excuses early in anticipation of Wiggo's inevitable fail at the Paris Roubaix.
    Something along the lines of "...the tyres were too soft...".
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!