Paris-Nice **SPOILERS**

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,935
    He is a certified useless team mate and non-entity. Only when there is personal glory can he give a damn. Not sure why so many fans love him. Hope he gets smoked at Paris Roubaix and Stannard takes the glow. Would do his some ego some good.

Haha. I'm no fan but I don't think he's got a big ego.

Unusually single minded probably.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,935
    From the time Porte started falling to getting clipped back in was a grand total of 9 seconds :shock:

That crash was all about not keeping his left foot pressed down long enough and hitting the gas too early.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    From the time Porte started falling to getting clipped back in was a grand total of 9 seconds :shock:
    Of course, at a team like Sky, they practice that skill.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,174
    Was very enjoyable.

Becoming more and more convinced about having smaller teams for stage races.
    I'm yet to hear a sensible case for not cutting teams by one rider per race (all races stage and one day, excluding GTs maybe)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    ddraver wrote:
    The Cycling Podcast ‏@cycling_podcast
    Geraint Thomas said his tyres were slipping all day. Had several near-misses before he crashed. Said he slowed for the corner but still fell

so maybe....

@richie_porte · 19h 19 hours ago
    Pretty disappointing day for @GeraintThomas86 and I. Felt like we were on slick tyres. Anyhow great to see @tonygallopin win #chapeau
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    @GeraintThomas86 · 1h 1 hour ago
    Fancy a change of commentary? Turn over to @S4C 12:45 for live coverage of Paris Nice @seiclos4c @ClwbS4C
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Fancy a change of commentary? Turn over to @S4C 12:45 for live coverage of Paris Nice @seiclos4c @ClwbS4C
    It will be in Welsh though.
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    It will be in Welsh though.

Bit pointless then especially when according the census data 2011 the % of WELSH people that can either read/speak/write Welsh is something like 25%.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,957
    FJS wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Wiggins has looked out the window and decided he can't be bothered today. He won't be the only one.
    I have to say, without any bias for or against Wiggins, that's a bit cr*p for what is his last stage race for Sky. It's only 9 km for crying out loud. He's hardly risking getting a cold or crashing in a 9 km uphill TT.
    He is a certified useless team mate and non-entity. Only when there is personal glory can he give a damn. Not sure why so many fans love him. Hope he gets smoked at Paris Roubaix and Stannard takes the glow. Would do his some ego some good.

Nothing left for him here.
    Won't win the TT and there's no team 'contribution' to be made.
    Get to the airport and either get to the next stop a day earlier or get a day at home.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,474
    Great stage...

Though, I have to say this *4 yorkshireman alert* - why have your handlebars so low? It's not just him, they're all like that.

When you're on a solo attack and your back is flat and you're still on the hoods, it's too low.

Raise them up a bit, and you can always bend your elbow when you're in the drops....

If they're Yorkshiremen, do you think they will listen?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    Was very enjoyable.

I'm yet to hear a sensible case for not cutting teams by one rider per race (all races stage and one day, excluding GTs maybe)

I know I pull you up for not going far enough every time this issue comes up, but how about a compromise? Cut one rider for GTs, two for week long races?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    edited March 2015
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Was very enjoyable.

I know I pull you up for not going far enough every time this issue comes up, but how about a compromise? Cut one rider for GTs, two for week long races?
    That could (even should) be an ultimate goal, but I think that it would be wise to do it in steps to allow teams to adjust with regard to staffing levels and contracts. People are more accepting of change when it is done gradually.
  • frenchfighter
    DeadCalm wrote:
    According to cyclingnews:
    16:53:44 CET
    Kwiatkowski did indeed sit up and is a second down on Porte now and in third overall. An interesting tactic with the Pole set to start his TT after the Team Sky rider tomorrow.

Huh?

Yeah indeed. They have repeated it again today on their live feed. It means he starts before not after.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Current fastest of 40 or so riders is Paulinho with 21:56
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Was very enjoyable.

People are more accepting of change when it is done gradually.

Yeah, I'm half French so tend to just cut people's heads off if they try that...
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • frenchfighter
    Raining and a block headwind.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I missed a cracker. I can only find a link to the last 10k and one for some insane descent with about 50k to go that looked like the north side of the Stelvbio. Has anyone found a link for longer than the last 10k?

Last 50km:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ1EBlnjHQk

Frenchie you are a star! Thank you :D

Anyway, looking miserable on the Sporza coverage right now. You can hear the wind near the top.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    Talansky 21:00.

Tony Martin is on course.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Martin 5sec faster than Talansky at intermediate check.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    Did we remark on Tony Martin's natty scarf yesterday?
  • frenchfighter
    Did we remark on Tony Martin's natty scarf yesterday?

Didn't see that one.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Gallopin off at 1.25 UK time.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    20:52:55 for Martin.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    Tony goes fastest with 20'52"
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm going to head out for a ride, is it worth waiting to see the finale? When are the last riders down the ramp?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Vichot rocking galoshes.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    So Wiggins a no starter, figures.
  • above_the_cows
    sjmclean wrote:
    I'm going to head out for a ride, is it worth waiting to see the finale? When are the last riders down the ramp?

It should all be over in 30 minutes.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411
    Wow, Geraint is looking lean. How much weight has he dropped?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Gallopin yellow shorts, oh dear.